Shoulda been a single

Bill

Pick one song from each album (if you can) that you think would have made a good single, but wasn't. Soundtracks are okay too.

It always kills me when I see such amazing single potential in a song but it doesn't get released. Especially when I can envision a killer video. Of course, I may not be the best judge of what would be commercially successful, but here's my list:

Madonna - eh, the releases from this one were pretty perfect

Like a Virgin - Stay

True Blue - Where's The Party

Who's That Girl - The Look of Love

Like a Prayer - Spanish Eyes

I'm Breathless - Something To Remember

Erotica - Words

Bedtime Stories - Forbidden Love or Don't Stop

Ray of Light - Sky Fits Heaven

The Next Best Thing - Time Stood Still

Music - Runaway Lover

American Life - Intervention

Confessions - Forbidden Love

Hard Candy - n/a

MDNA - BEAUTIFUL KILLER - I'll never fully forgive her for that one :lol:

I'm gonna break my own rule and add another one... Masterpiece.

Madonna - Physical Attraction

Like a Virgin - Over & Over

Who's That Girl - Can't Stop. The Look Of Love reached #9 in the UK

Like a Prayer - Spanish Eyes

Erotica - Words

Bedtime Stories - Inside Of Me

Ray of Light - Sky Fits Heaven Or Skin

Music - Impressive Instant

American Life - Nobody Knows Me

Confessions - Future Lovers

Hard Candy - Heartbeat

MDNA - Falling Free (This would've surprised a lot of the non fans and naysayers) I ADORE it.

MDNA - Falling Free (This would've surprised a lot of the non fans and naysayers) I ADORE it.

Yes...and BORE the hell out of them. one of my favs on the album thought ... :)

Madonna - (perfect)

Like a Virgin - (perfect)

Who's That Girl - (perfect)

Like a Prayer - (perfect, but Keep It Together should have had a video an radio exposure, of course Vogue came and changed everything)

Erotica - Thief of Hearts

Bedtime Stories - Love Tried to Welcome Me

The Next Best Thing - (no thanks)

Confessions -Let It Will Be (remix)

Hard Candy - (no thanks)

MDNA - Gang Bang (just for the sake of it)

Madonna: I agree with Bill, all singles were perfect.

Like a Virgin: Same as above.

True Blue: White Heat

Like a Prayer: Till Death Do Us Part

Erotica: Why's It So Hard

Bedtime Stories: Forbidden Love or Inside of Me

Ray of Light: Sky Fits Heaven or Swim

Music: Runaway Lover

American Life: Easy Ride

Confessions: Like It Or Not

Hard Candy: Dance 2Night

MDNA: Beautiful Killer

Madonna - (perfect)

Like a Virgin - (perfect)

Who's That Girl - (perfect)

Like a Prayer - (perfect, but Keep It Together should have had a video an radio exposure, of course Vogue came and changed everything)

Erotica - Thief of Hearts

Bedtime Stories - Love Tried to Welcome Me

The Next Best Thing - (no thanks) :chuckle:

Confessions -Let It Will Be (remix)

Hard Candy - (no thanks) :chuckle:

MDNA - Gang Bang (just for the sake of it)

Yes...and BORE the hell out of them. one of my favs on the album thought ... :)

So she has to keep releasing upbeat dance music so the public don't become bored?

What a tragic thought.

Anyway, if not that, then I'll go with "I'm Addicted".

Waiting

Forbidden Love 94

I want you

Impressive Instant

Future Lovers or Isaac

The Beat Goes On

she's Not Me

Madonna - Physical Attraction

Like a Virgin - Over And Over

Like a Prayer - Till Death Do Us Part

Erotica - Waiting

Bedtime Stories - Forbidden Love

Ray of Light - Skin

American Life - Intervention

Confessions - Forbidden Love

Hard Candy - Beat Goes On

MDNA - I'm Addicted

I was in the hozzie little when look of love was on top of the pops. They showed it in the childrens ward. God im old.

Awww. I remember when I listened to R1 on a Sunday afternoon expecting it to be in the top 5....but it went in at 9. That was the first time I thought her star was fading and was depressed for days. :lmao: Silly child.

Madonna: Physical Attraction

LAV: Love Don't Live Here Anymore (Should have been released in 84 instead of 96. It was released in Japan in 84 though, weird)

True Blue: Where's the Party

Who's That Girl Soundtrack: (perfect as it was)

Like A Prayer: Till Death Do Us Part (or Oh Father should have gotten a proper single release in 89)

I'm Breathless: Something to Remember

Erotica: In This Life or Where Life Begins

Bedtime Stories: Inside of Me

Ray of Light: Sky Fits Heaven

Music: Paradise (Not for me)

American Life: Intervention

Confessions: Future Lovers

Hard Candy: Heartbeat

MDNA: Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer

Awww. I remember when I listened to R1 on a Sunday afternoon expecting it to be in the top 5....but it went in at 9. That was the first time I thought her star was fading and was depressed for days. :lmao: Silly child.

I know! I thought it was because I wasn't able to go out and buy it! They also showed the Prince Parade tour but one of the nurses turned it off because it was too naughty. Cunt! Ill never forgive that bitch.

Impressive Instant obviously. At the time her "i'm a trance" became instantly viral. I heard it everywhere, from MTV to radio stations.

I know! I thought it was because I wasn't able to go out and buy it! They also showed the Prince Parade tour but one of the nurses turned it off because it was too naughty. Cunt! Ill never forgive that bitch.

:voodoo: You'd think she would have been too busy to watch the T.V. Cow.

Madonna - fine the way it was handled.

Like a Virgin - Over & Over after DYU.

True Blue - Where's The Party before WTG.

Who's That Girl - fine the way it was handled.

Like a Prayer - Spanish Eyes as double A-Side with OF.

I'm Breathless - fine the way it was handled.

Erotica - fine the way it was handled.

Bedtime Stories - Survival between TAB and BS. It had the same vibe as Creep by TLC which was huge earlier that year.

Ray of Light - fine the way it was handled.

Music - Impressive Instant after WIFLFAG.

American Life - Nobody Knows Me after Hollywood.

Confessions - Fine the way it was handled.

Hard Candy - Beat Goes On before MA.

MDNA - Love Spent between GMAYL and GGW.

That was played quite a lot on UK radio. Dint M have a row with Warners about not bringing it out?

I read somewhere that she wanted "Impressive Instant" as a single but Warner wanted "Amazing".

There were rumours flying around that the reason why she didn't include it on the DWT was so they couldn't release it as a single using the performance from the show. LOL

Only a few for me. It's only since 2000 she started cocking up releases.

Madonna: No Need

Like A Virgin: Dress You Up (released properly with a video)

True Blue: No Need

Who's That Girl Soundtrack: No Need

Like A Prayer: Oh Father (released properly worldwide)

I'm Breathless: No Need

Erotica: No Need

Bedtime Stories: No Need

Ray of Light: No Need

Music: Impressive Instant, Paradise (Not for me)

American Life: Nothing Fails (released properly with video and world wide)

Confessions: Forbidden Love

Hard Candy: She's Not Me, Beat Goes On

MDNA: Love Spent, Beautiful Killer, Gang Bang

Edited by luluthecat

Why does everyone keep picking something to remember off of Im Breathless? Has everyone forgotten Sooner or Later:(

Something to remember would be my last pick, I'd rather have bananas, crybaby and more as singles before that bore!

Also physical attraction, pretender, white heat, till death do us part, waiting, love tried to welcome me, waltz for Eva and Che, sky fits heaven, impressive instant/ paradiise, x- static process, push, beat goes on and I'm addicted.

Madonna - "Physical Attraction" (as a "proper" standalone A-side with a video after she hit the big time, so ideally just after "Borderline" - but I suppose Like a Virgin was ready and she was already too impatient and she was never MJ so I see why it never happened.)

Like a Virgin - "Shoo-Be-Doo" because it would have been a massive hit; or perhaps "Over and Over." (But that was a single in Italy I suppose, so does it count?)

True Blue - "Where's the Party," of course! It would have been an easy transatlantic Top Fiver if not even a Number 1!

Like a Prayer - "Pray for Spanish Eyes," as a grown-up, sinister sister to "La Isla Bonita". It may not have become a huge hit but it would have certainly been a bigger hit than "Oh Father," that's for sure.

I'm Breathless - "More," of course! Camptastica! :wow:

Erotica - tricky one. Hmmm.. I suppose well I suppose would have had to be "Bye Bye Baby". I know it was a single in Oz but I mean as a proper international single everywhere. If not, then perhaps "Thief of Hearts," but that would have flopped definitely.

Bedtime Stories - "Forbidden Love," of course. No-brainer. Would have been a massive hit in the USA.

Ray of Light - Oh my God, where to start! I suppose I would have to go with "Sky Fits Heaven," really as it ticks all the boxes and would have undoubtedly been a hit.

Music - "Impressive Instant," of course. As if you even have to ask!

American Life - tricky. Really tricky. I think all the right tracks were pulled as singles (and yes even though the title track was not commercial it was too "big" to stay as an album track.) So I think I'll have to plump for something like "Nobody Knows Me" - not as a remix single which it already was issued as in the USA, but as a proper single with the Thin White Duck Reinvention Tour remix as the official Single Edit and a proper video. Perhaps a splice mix of the live footage with backgrond RIT video footage.

Confessions on a Dance Floor - "Forbidden Love". Oh no wait, "Isaac". Oh shit. Okay, "Forbidden Love." I guess.

Hard Candy - ack. Ugh. Bleurgh. Hmm.. "She's Not Me"? Oh no wait, maybe "Devil Wouldn't Recognise You". Actually no, that's too Justin Timberlakey and too "What Goes Around" / "Cry me a River". So yes, let's go with "She's not Me."

MDNA - "I'm a Dick, Ted" absolutely and by far. Should have been the first single (after "Masterepiece" as the soundtrack single / unofficial first single / soundtrack EP in my MDNA promo planner.)

Celebration, I would have taken two HC songs 4 a release, yes added 2 the collection:

She's Not Me (they could have done montage Video)

Beat Goes on

(But of course that opinionata is only about the studio edit. As we all know the S&S live version is LIFE ITSELF.)

You don't have the LUXURY of TAAEEIMMEEEEE!!

Here's a controversial opinionata from me - "Beat Goes On" is generic-tastications and it would have flopped!!!

Gorrrl I don't even like beat goes...the sparrow vocal opening line is just :bad:

Don sit there like a lonley gurrrrrrrrrrl

But it would b a hit. TRUST.

(But of course that opinionata is only about the studio edit. As we all know the S&S live version is LIFE ITSELF.)

You don't have the LUXURY of TAAEEIMMEEEEE!!

Whooooooooooooo *shitty post children fucked up diafragm sound*

Whooooooooooooo *shitty post children fucked up diafragm sound*

Oh my God I love the shitty Madonna scream/shout/screech (which of course as we all know was born post-crow birth, on the Reivnention Tour if I am not mistaken.) One of the earliest in vivo presentations of the screech was during Reinvention on "Holiday" from the IGTTYAS docco perf.

Oh my God I love the shitty Madonna scream/shout/screech (which of course as we all know was born post-crow birth, on the Reivnention Tour if I am not mistaken.) One of the earliest in vivo presentations of the screech was during Reinvention on "Holiday" from the IGTTYAS docco perf.

Doesn't she do one on the DWT 2, or at least produce that sound...during Music?