Madonna inspired new Keith Urban single

Guest groovyguy

Guest groovyguy

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2013/05/31/madonna-inspired-new-keith-urban-single/2377701/

Brian Mansfield, Special for USA TODAY3:53 p.m. EDT May 31, 2013

Can you hear the similarity between "Little Bit of Everything" and "Don't Tell Me"?

The most distinctive musical feature of Keith Urban's Little Bit of Everything — a chopped-up ukulele pattern — may owe its existence to the Material Girl.

Urban says Madonna's Don't Tell Me, a 2001 hit that several critics felt had a country influence, inspired the part. "She had a staccato acoustic guitar part in there that I thought was very cool," Urban says.

Little Bit was written by pop/hip-hop artist Kevin Rudolf, known for his 2008 single Let It Rock, along with Nashville songwriters Brad and Brett Warren. The single currently sits at No. 24 on USA TODAY's Country airplay chart.

"On the demo that Kevin did, it was more of a strummed part, just a straight-up Hey Soul Sister thing," Urban says. But when he and co-producer Nathan Chapman took the song into the studio, Chapman started laying down tracks with the ukulele.

"Nathan was playing an arpeggiated piece, which I thought was kind of cool, and then he hit the mute button accidentally and I said, 'Oh, I like that!'" Urban says.

Little Bit of Everything is the first single from Urban's forthcoming album Fuse, due Sept. 10. He'll kick off his Light the Fuse Tour 2013 June 18 in Cincinnati.

Listen to the tracks from Urban and Madonna and see if you can hear the similarity

Right on. "Don't Tell Me" needs to come back on the next tour. Especially if she does Australia - I want a jackaroo theme!

I keep thinking about all the singles she's neglected, and of those Don't Tell Me always feels like its most likely to be whipped out. I was watching bits of RIT the other day and the performance was like a high school cabaret, it definitely needs an update.

The similarity is tenuous...the only thing similar here to Don't Tell Me is the staccato part at the beginning of the song and even that's a stretch.

Well, yeah, the only influence would be the staccato guitar, so you shouldn't hear a similarity other than that. :)

I'm all for DTM making a tour return, as long as it's with new choreography and such.