Why didn't madonna release "Shame"

drunkbysix

Daniel Abraham. It's a fantastic mix but happened so late it, it even missed the US and UK releases of Fever. Why they don't put that on GHV2 and Celebration is beyond me!

The German maxi of Rain has Fever edit one on it

& my 7" Rain has edit two, which is the extended version of the video version I believe....

Guest bluejean

I would love a 4 disc Warner box set with all the single versions remastered. But does 'Edit One' count as the single version or was it not played on the radio?

I would love a 4 disc Warner box set with all the single versions remastered. But does 'Edit One' count as the single version or was it not played on the radio?

I never heard it on the radio here, the album version was definitely the single version.

In fact the actual Fever video appeared on MTV after it peaked on the charts.

I remember being totally surprised...all of a sudden there was a video.

I never heard it on the radio here, the album version was definitely the single version.

In fact the actual Fever video appeared on MTV after it peaked on the charts.

I remember being totally surprised...all of a sudden there was a video.

Warner doing what they do best!

According to Wikipedia, Bad Girl with Fever released in US in Feb 93, Fever in UK released March 93 and then the video was shot on April 10 - 11 93 and debuted a month later! I think the failure of Bad Girl in both the US and UK must have come as a shock and Warner's needed to do something to stimulate interest. Still very odd.

But yes, the album edit is the normal single version in the UK. Never heard the remix but it was never made available here, not even as a promo.

According to Wikipedia, Bad Girl with Fever released in US in Feb 93, Fever in UK released March 93 and then the video was shot on April 10 - 11 93 and debuted a month later! I think the failure of Bad Girl in both the US and UK must have come as a shock and Warner's needed to do something to stimulate interest. Still very odd.

But yes, the album edit is the normal single version in the UK. Never heard the remix but it was never made available here, not even as a promo.

Why did Bad Girl flop so hard, though?

Why is this never mentioned?

& I agree In This Life is such an underrated track by her fans.

It's weird how much her voice suits the musical styles that were around when she was a teenager.

Why did Bad Girl flop so hard, though?

It was the backlash from the Sex book. The effect of that was huge. Erotica and Deeper and Deeper hadn't done nearly as well as expected and then she came out with this slowie. I must admit, I wasn't a fan of it until I saw the video which completely changed my opinion of the song. However, I doubt that many radio listeners really got into it and, in general, the mood was Madonna had gone too far, she was desperate, she was over etc and this release was damage limitation. Her tour didn't really go to many US cities and went to Australia, Japan etc which was seen as an attempt to tap those markets as the US / Europe were over her. She'd been at the top for nine years so I think everyone was just waiting for this, and then it came and the press really came down on her.

Considering the album and book's themes, the single releases were actually very safe. I wonder if they would have been different had there not been this furore.

A song teaching you how to Fuck was safe? :lol: I understand what you're saying but I think the singles just really showed the entire breadth of the album. I'm not a huge fan of Rain but it was essential as a single.

I think Madonna was a singles artist in the 80s and became an albums artist in the 90s. I guess that maybe means that her fan base was solidified but also that her albums were more intimate, cohesive and stronger thematically. I personally generally like album artists and I guess it's the difference between an accomplished artist and a has been in the long run. Like a prayer was the beginning of that Madonna. She was still capable of writing amazing singles that worked for the public (Vogue) but clearly she wanted quality songs. At the point of Bedtime Stories there were virtually no commercially viable singles available and that's why we got Something to remember. I think the whole 'backlash' issue is widely over exaggerated in hindsight.

Erotica

Fever

Bye Bye Baby

Deeper and Deeper

Where Life Begins

Bad Girl

Waiting

Thief of Hearts

Words

Rain

Why's it so Hard?

In This Life

Secret Garden

:inlove:

FANTASTIC! It would have been real interesting had André Betts worked on Bedtime Stories :inlove:

Guest bluejean

I wonder though if Rain had been released first instead of Bad Girl would it have been an even bigger hit? I mean apart from the backlash Bad Girl isn't a particularly commercial song especially compared to Rain.

The biggest surprise to not do well and proof of the the backlash is Deeper and Deeper. When you hear it now it sounds like a monster hit.

Deeper and deeper is a gay song. Fact. It's anthemic and radio friendly yes but it's a dedication to gaylords everywhere and I'm sure that put a few people off. When you look at Eroticas album sales at the time there's no flop there. Thank God she released Bad Girl! I love the song and video. I wouldn't care if not one person bought it, just like Bedtime Story. :lol:

I think Words could've done well, if it was released as a single. I really don't see the point in releasing Bye Bye Baby as a single, though. I always wondered how everything would've been like if Deeper and Deeper was the lead single or if Erotica, the song, as well as the SEX book never existed.

If erotica the song never existed, the album wouldn't be the same. The song basically enhanced the theme of the album. Without the song the album would have lacked something, not have had that extra oomph.

Well "Rain" 'only' got to No. 14 in the USA didn't it? I'm sure if it was the second single as a quick damage control thing after "Erotica" it would have gone top 5 easilemente.. but Queendonna didn't do things like that back then (thank God).

Well "Rain" 'only' got to No. 14 in the USA didn't it? I'm sure if it was the second single as a quick damage control thing after "Erotica" it would have gone top 5 easilemente.. but Queendonna didn't do things like that back then (thank God).

I think it reached top 10 airplay status. Yes Queendonna needs her Erotica/Bedtime Stories 'singles' mojo back.

With Guy Oseary...fat chance.

I seem to recall label execs and early reviews for the album saying Rain was the best track off the album and it was a mistake for it not to be the first single

It would certainly have been interesting to see how the album performed without the Sex book being published. Overall, the album isn't really that sexual apart from Erotica and Where Life Begins! The lyrics for that were picked on more than any other at the time. I don't think anyone mainstream had really discussed female oral sex like this before! Other than that, most of the songs are about love going wrong - Neurotica!

This is my second favourite period as the output in terms of music, remixes and videos was great. I find it hard to think of it any other way. I wish we'd get all the unreleased tracks but leaks seem very rare now.

I seem to recall label execs and early reviews for the album saying Rain was the best track off the album and it was a mistake for it not to be the first single

Never really understood the adoration for it personally.

I wonder though if Rain had been released first instead of Bad Girl would it have been an even bigger hit? I mean apart from the backlash Bad Girl isn't a particularly commercial song especially compared to Rain.

The biggest surprise to not do well and proof of the the backlash is Deeper and Deeper. When you hear it now it sounds like a monster hit.

it was quite big in radio. Peaked no.2 behind Whitney.