Why didn't madonna release "Shame"

drunkbysix

I mean, from what I heard from the demo, I'm so mad that the full has never been released. It could have easily replaced In this life or did you do it on erotica. All we have is a 20 second demo clip, and a version from the fake rain tapes.

Why do you think madonna never released this?

It didn't mesh well with the other tracks? Idk

Did it ever leave the demo stage?

I'm more interested in hearing You Are The One.

You can't go wrong with the Erotica recording sessions tbqh.

Guest Rachelle of London

In This Life is perfection and was needed at that time of Madonna's career and personal life. Probably one of my fave tracks from her even though I hardly listen to it!

We all know "Shame" is great but "Dear Father" is even better!

All the bits & pieces from the Erotica outtakes sound interesting in a good 'b-side' kind of a way.

Kinda like Prince's vault stuff. Same 4 HC, COAD on the other hand :confused:

I love Dear Father.

COAD has some good unreleased stuff. Triggering is fantastic, and I adore Mirwais's LIWB

I'm just not keen on the lyrical content of Freedom & such. It's so hoaky.

Where's the Word demo?

As much as it makes it an intimidating, impressive and staggering artistic statement, listening to that megamix I do find myself wishing she hadn't gone for such a cold ironic tone with the album, and stayed with a warmer sound. And I feel awful for wishing it because Erotica is my favourite album.

As much as it makes it an intimidating, impressive and staggering artistic statement, listening to that megamix I do find myself wishing she hadn't gone for such a cold ironic tone with the album, and stayed with a warmer sound. And I feel awful for wishing it because Erotica is my favourite album.

yeah I was thinking the same thing. Though in the end it would have sounded a lot like what was on the radio at the time so I can understand why they changed it up. And I'm thinking Fever may have played a part in the decision to scrap Shame since Shame appears to be a partial cover.

COAD has some good unreleased stuff. Triggering is fantastic, and I adore Mirwais's LIWB

I love Triggering!!! My favourite outtakes from COADF are Superpop, Triggering, AND HISTORY! I think Triggering could've worked as track 1 on Confession and the "land of the free" demo of History would've been a good closing song.

yeah I was thinking the same thing. Though in the end it would have sounded a lot like what was on the radio at the time so I can understand why they changed it up. And I'm thinking Fever may have played a part in the decision to scrap Shame since Shame appears to be a partial cover.

Actually it was Goodbye to Innocence that got scrapped because of Fever. Fever evolved from a remix that they created for Goodbye to Innocence. I think that Did You Do It? should've been replaced with another song, though. It was a waste of space on the album!

Original tracklist of Erotica:

erotica_01_500.jpg

Guest bluejean

I love Dear Father.

I like that song too and if there's anything I think could have been included its that. Although certainly it's no Bye Bye Baby or Deeper and Deeper.

That words demo sounds interesting, I had never heard that. Although I do think the final version is better. And that goes for the final album in general. I think maybe it too polished and commercial sounding would have killed the mood and theme and it wouldn't have matched the book.

Imagine an Erotica re-release with a bonus disc featuring all the demos. That would be mind blowing.

Guest bluejean

Fever evolved from the demo of GTI. You can hear beats used in both the songs.

True. Plus remember Shep actually says that in the Erotica Diaries. That Madonna just started singing fever over the GTI instrumental oneday.

Fever is such a random and cool cover choice, and to change the song the way she has is so fabulous. I love it. As much as I love the lyrics of GTI Fever was definitely the right choice.

Oh and the Edit One/Video remix is so much better than the album version. Does anyone know who did that remix??

True. Plus remember Shep actually says that in the Erotica Diaries. That Madonna just started singing fever over the GTI instrumental oneday.

Fever is such a random and cool cover choice, and to change the song the way she has is so fabulous. I love it. As much as I love the lyrics of GTI Fever was definitely the right choice.

Oh and the Edit One/Video remix is so much better than the album version. Does anyone know who did that remix??

Daniel Abraham. It's a fantastic mix but happened so late it, it even missed the US and UK releases of Fever. Why they don't put that on GHV2 and Celebration is beyond me!

He supposedly remixed Bye Bye Baby too. I assume it was the fantastic version she did on the Girlie Show which never actually made it onto the remix CD. There is one promo where I've seen 'US single remix' listed but I've never actually come across it.

As for Shame, it's very hard to guess from a thirty second clip but it does sound reminiscent of other songs so that's perhaps the reason.

Tony Shimkin mentioned that it was very similar to Monie Love's "It's a Shame (My Sister) but thAt is was a potentially good song. I'm paraphrasing, but the Beats Within blog interview was a good source for songs of that era, particularly the "rain tapes".