Your favorite Madonna memories

Bill

As a fan, what have been some of your favorite Madonna moments, experiences, performances, etc? In other words, the times when you said "Now, THIS is why I'm a Madonna fan!!"

Rather than just listing your favorite videos, albums, and so on, try to make it more personal by telling a story or how it relates to you :)

- Seeing "The Girlie Show" in Philadelphia on October 19, 1993. Having been a RABID fan for over 2 years at that point, I was bursting at the seams with excitement and anticipation as the date approached. I had a countdown in my notebook at school, and the final week before the concert, it was all I could think about and I didn't sleep much :lol: I had pretty bad seats, off to the side and 2nd level from the floor, but it didn't matter. When she appeared on that stage, as tiny as she was from that distance, my heart skipped a beat. I could not believe that the woman I had idolized and obsessed over for 2 years was right there, in person. It was MAGICAL!!! Not only that, but those of us who got there early enough and were at the front of the line outside the arena could hear her during soundcheck. That was thrilling! I got to hear her rehearse Rain and I think Deeper and Deeper. Those were the days before every minute detail of the concert was released online, so I didn't even know the full setlist. It was just wonderful :)

- Listening to the "Ray of Light" album for the first time. I closed my bedroom door and let everyone know not to bother me for an hour - no interruptions! :lol: I turned up the volume, sat on my bed with the CD booklet, listened, and read along. It was an emotional, mind-blowing experience that culminated during Sky Fits Heaven, when I was so floored by the beauty of the melodies that I actually cried. :lmao: I laugh, but to me, it was a beautiful moment.

more to come...

May 30, 2006 - San Jose, California. Madonna comes out of a disco ball to sing my favorite song of COAF (at the time). If not my favorite certainly the most unforgettable.

Although I'm pretty sure watching Truth or Dare when I was 9 or 10 years old changed my life in ways I don't even realize.

Oooh! I thought of another one, and it might be the most special of all.

Drowned World Tour - Philadelphia - first US date. I was in the third row, at the left side of the stage. I knew the whole setlist, so I was anticipating each song as it approached. I thought "Gone" sounded a little funny when it started, and then I hear "You think that I can't live without your love". I could have DIED. Hands-down my all-time favorite Madonna song, and I was there to hear her sing it LIVE for the first time ever. I felt like she sang it JUST FOR ME! :)

*Seeing Madonna at MSG(sitting near Anderson Cooper & Kelly Ripa) this past November was really special and so much fun. Hearing Love Spent on the set list made it so worth it to go.

*I was blown away the first time I saw the Confessions tour. The only problem was that I drank too much during the concert, so I was hung over for two days.

*Attending back in the day the Bedtime Story video release party. I never thought I would see Madonna so close up.

I remember the first time I saw a clip of the Vogue video. It was on the Chart Show as 'coming up next week'. I'd not heard the song at all and we just got the 'Beauty's where you find it' clip. I was amazed and played the clip over and over.

Also, seeing the ITG video in 85. She just looked stunning. DSS wasn't released until a few months later so it was a first glimpse of the film. As the song wasn't on LAV either, it was a complete surprise when it first came out.

Guest Rachelle of London

madonna-golden-globes-2012.jpg

I love how 30 years into her career she was still trying to make her dreams come true in another field directing. Yes W.E couldve done better commercially but M winning the Golden Globe was just a lovely way to mark her directing "debut"

DWT June 29, my first Madonna concert. Still to this date the best night of my life. I screamed, danced, jumped, sang along, cried like there was no tomorrow. When she performed Sky Fits Heaven (my favorite ROL track), I was GONE. It was just too much for me, I was crying at the glorious, jaw dropping performance... Definitely a QOL moment.

The Superbowl was exciting as well. I was so anxious the days before the event and as the hour approached I was so nervous for her! After the magnificent performance, I couldn't sleep all night! I was so proud of her and watched the thing over and over agin in awe.

MDNA Olympia. I don't care about the idiots who booed her afterwards. For me, she gave us something unique and a once in a lifetime experience. To see her that close and to touch the tips of her fingers and look at her eyes, these things are priceless. I don't think that will ever happen to me again and so I treasure it like one of the best memories I have of her!

Also: Hung Up at the Grammys, Vogue VMA's, listening to ROL for the first time, hell I still am amazed when I listen to it now!

Great thread. There are so many! But the first time I saw her live definitely stands out. Blond Ambition at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan. I was only 13 but my friend's Dad's company had season tickets at the Palace, so we got to go.

At first I was afraid my parents weren't going to allow me to go because they’d think the show was inappropriate .. but I'd been a fan since I was a little kid and they knew she was my favorite so they let me. I was INSANE I was so excited.

My friends and planned outfits and obsessed over every detail and how it was going to be (still do lol). Our seats were way way up far away from the stage but we didn't care. I remember shaking - literally trembling and feeling lightheaded - when the lights darkened (Ok, still do that too) but my mind just couldn't fathom that I was going to see her for real.

We were blown away. She was so ballsy and cool and fun and gorgeous and the crowd was insane for her. She seemed untouchable. The biggest star on EARTH. My friends and I gripped each others arms the entire show (I had bruises after) and couldn't believe what we were seeing. I didn't sleep at all afterward. This was the show when she brought her Dad out and we all sang happy birthday to him btw. So that was special. Which leads me to another fave moment: watching Truth or Dare for the first time and reliving the concert and getting to see how it was as she toured the world. I was OBSESSED with it.

Guest Rachelle of London

Great thread. There are so many! But the first time I saw her live definitely stands out. Blond Ambition at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan. I was only 13 but my friend's Dad's company had season tickets at the Palace, so we got to go.

At first I was afraid my parents weren't going to allow me to go because they’d think the show was inappropriate .. but I'd been a fan since I was a little kid and they knew she was my favorite so they let me. I was INSANE I was so excited.

My friends and planned outfits and obsessed over every detail and how it was going to be (still do lol). Our seats were way way up far away from the stage but we didn't care. I remember shaking - literally trembling and feeling lightheaded - when the lights darkened (Ok, still do that too) but my mind just couldn't fathom that I was going to see her for real.

We were blown away. She was so ballsy and cool and fun and gorgeous and the crowd was insane for her. She seemed untouchable. The biggest star on EARTH. My friends and I gripped each others arms the entire show (I had bruises after) and couldn't believe what we were seeing. I didn't sleep at all afterward. This was the show when she brought her Dad out and we all sang happy birthday to him btw. So that was special. Which leads me to another fave moment: watching Truth or Dare for the first time and reliving the concert and getting to see how it was as she toured the world. I was OBSESSED with it.

amazing!!!!

have you seen them all since? Is there anyone on this forum who's been to every tour?

Seeing her on tour 3 times so far.

There are plenty more, but those stand out. Each time felt like a dream and went by so damn fast.

If we want to go way back I used to love dancing around my room to her True Blue album as a little gay boy. Would listen to it for hours on end over and over and over.

I know some people will turn their nose up because it wasnt Truth or Dare Part 2, but when Im Going to Tell You a Secret first aired I was captivated through the whole thing. Loved every second of it and felt so happy to be a fan of hers when it was over.

And the whole Ray of Light/Music era in general. It was a non stop Madonnafest on VH1 and MTV with all the specials they would air and when they would have all Madonna weekends.

Also remember watching her Behind the Music when it aired and also loving every second of it. To this day I say its the best doc ever done on her.

I think this is one of the most iconic moments in pop culture in general to be honest. When you simply say, "Dont cry for me Argentina..." there are very few people who dont know what you are talking about. Its like when people say, "Life is like a box of chocolates...." Their mind knows you are saying a line from Forrest Gump. Same thing here. They instantly think of Madonna/Evita.

have you seen them all since? Is there anyone on this forum who's been to every tour?

I've been to all her tours since except The Girlie Show. I was in high school at the time and it was just too hard to get tickets for me with the limited tour dates and stuff. So the only two I missed were The Virgin Tour (I was too young to go) and Girlie Show.

I've been to all her tours since except The Girlie Show. I was in high school at the time and it was just too hard to get tickets for me with the limited tour dates and stuff. So the only two I missed were The Virgin Tour (I was too young to go) and Girlie Show.

Quoting to add - meant to also include Who's That Girl tour as one I didn't get to go to.

Great idea for a thread!

1. Showing up for my diehard ritual of picking up the advanced DJ remix promos for M's latest single — this time, "Fever" — and discovering they're on red vinyl. Oh happy day.

2. Seeing her run across the stage during "Open Your Heart" intro of Who's That Girl Tour. Seeing the HEAVY rouge on her face during Blonde Ambition "Hanky Panky" number. The dominatrix walk during Girlie Show as she begins "Fever" and putting the cane between her legs while singing "Erotica." The lady standing next to me went, "Wow!" lol. Seeing her bouncing up and down the stage during "Celebration" of MDNA tour, laying on stage during LAV/Love Spent, and intro to GGW when she unveiled herself at MDNA. Those are my tour memories.

3. The first time I saw 'Frozen' video and said, Is that Madonna? OMG it is! Loving it. The premiere of "Human Nature" video sticks w/ me too for some reason. Well, all the videos do (Don't get me started cuz I could write a novel).

It's fun being a Madonna fan.

220px-Madonna_-_The_Immaculate_Collection.png

buying the immaculate collection on cassette as a kid after a salesclerk recommended it

went back the week after and picked up the first album, like a virgin, and you can dance

listened to them everyday on my way to school

220px-Madonna_-_Bedtime_Stories.jpg

bedtime came out...wasn't 100% sure if that was the same madonna

she sounded & looked so different yet so breathtakingly amazing

112779599.jpg

got my first discman and cd stereo system around 95 but couldn't find bedtime on cd

so this bootleg + the immaculate collection were my first

220px-Girlie_Show_Tour.jpg

found the girlie show vhs in 96 and it was mind blowing

at this point i've already had the bat laser disc and ciao italia but for me this was something else

220px-FROZEN-CD.jpg

the leak of frozen's radio rip on the singapore madonna link :dramatic:

+ everything that followed that year

200px-Drowned_World_Tour_Poster.jpg

attending dwt in bercy with my brother & my best friend was heavenly

SO MANY, although the Superbowl performance remains one of my most recent favorites.

I convinced ALL of my roomates (some casual M fans, some doubters, some haters) to watch the Halftime Show with me. Part of me knew she'd knock it out of the park, but the other part of me knew they'd hate it/ claim she was doing too much/blah blah blah. To my surprise they REALLY LOVED it; I'm talking butch hetero football fanatics singing along :wow: And my Facebook feed was flooded with positive comments too. Finally my peers GOT IT.

And then she released GGW and they were like 'ummmmmmmm... alrighty then.' :rotfl: I enjoyed it while it lasted though!

SO MANY, although the Superbowl performance remains one of my most recent favorites.

I convinced ALL of my roomates (some casual M fans, some doubters, some haters) to watch the Halftime Show with me. Part of me knew she'd knock it out of the park, but the other part of me knew they'd hate it/ claim she was doing too much/blah blah blah. To my surprise they REALLY LOVED it; I'm talking butch hetero football fanatics singing along :wow: And my Facebook feed was flooded with positive comments too. Finally my peers GOT IT.

And then she released GGW and they were like 'ummmmmmmm... alrighty then.' :rotfl: I enjoyed it while it lasted though!

:lol: Yeah I was getting tons of texts after her performance from friends that know I am a Madonna loon saying how much they liked it.

1. The 1990 "Justify My Love" Nightline appearance.

2. Watching the Girlie Show live on HBO in late '93.

3. Hearing "Frozen" the first time over the Internet in 1998 when that Singapore Madonna site leaked it.

4. Seeing her IN THE FLESH for the first time in Chicago (August 2001).

5. Going to a record store that opened at midnight to buy COADF and seeing a shitload of gay men waiting in line.

6. Seeing the MDNA show in my hometown two nights in row.

5. Going to a record store that opened at midnight to buy COADF and seeing a shitload of gay men waiting in line.

:lmao: