Madonna's sound still influencing current music.

Elysium

Okay, I bought this album a couple of weeks ago, Ministry of Sound's 'The Sound of Deep House 2013', and I noticed a few songs which sample M's music. I think it's amazing that her music continues to inspire and be a reference point for other artists. Here are the tracks, which are pretty decent to listen to if you're having a workout:

Knee Deep In Louise by Hot Since 82 (samples Deeper and Deeper)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-JPjmUOiRQ

String Thing by Shadow Child (samples True Blue)

Can anyone else think of any other recent examples?

Interesting thread! I found this website listing all (?) songs that sampled Madonna, but maybe there still are some more out there:

http://www.whosampled.com/sampled/Madonna/?sp=1

I knew about Annie sampling Everybody and Jessica Simpson sampling Holiday but there were some songs that I had to listen again to find the connection, like Washed Out's You and I (apparently sampling Lucky Star)

Can anyone hear it?

I wonder if they paid for those samples. It seems like the sort of thing they could get away with until/unless they started selling millions.

Yes, I wondered the same thing. With tiny snippets of Madonna songs as in the case of Shadow Child chances are they won't have to pay any royalties. It might be a different case with the Hot Since 82 track seeing as the sample is consistently heard throughout. They also publicly acknowledge the sample too: http://i-donline.com/2012/05/i-dj-hot-since-82/

I wonder if they paid for those samples. It seems like the sort of thing they could get away with until/unless they started selling millions.

I'm sure they didn't. People get away with a lot when it comes to sampling.

Sonic Youth covered Into The Groove and sampled the actual song. Warner tried to cancel the release because M didn't want any money from them. But since she has the rights, she won the 'battle' and they were allowed to release 'Into The Groove(y)'.

It's probably because she really loved Sonic Youth (and rightfully so, since they are awesome).

And the new Daft Punk song sounds just like Beat Goes On. If you put her voice over Pharrel's it sounds just like it could have come from the She's Not Me or BGO sessions.

What did Madonna do to get the instrumental to Hung Up?

Abba get 50% of the royalties for that! The only other Abba sampled allowed was Rumble In The Jungle by the Fugees who sampled 'The Name of the Game'.

I thought you were allowed to sample something free of charge if it were under a certain length like 8 seconds? But I heard that years ago so may have changed.

[media=]

[/media]

This R&B/bass producer samples Like A Prayer !

A lot of sampling. It's almost a Madonna megamix.

The new Robin Thicke song with Pharrell sounds like a GI2M clone

I was thinking the same thing! It sounds like Pharrell recycled/re-worked the groove he used for "Give It 2 Me"

Madonna is always a few steps ahead of everyone else.She did COADF in 2005 and now almost everyone is doing that same electropop/dance sound.

• 1 month later...