Memo to MDNA: please don't work with Daft Punk on next album!

Apples388

Guest Not4Pussies

I agree. I would love for her to explore some deeper, darker electronic elements for the next album, while also exploring the more minimal, Cabaret style of Like A Virgin from the tour. I think it would be different enough for her and for anyone else.

What is that guys name that remixed GGW but it didn't get released? gosefalstein? I want her to work with him.

I hope she doesn't, but I have been fascinated by the reaction of the public to RAM. Music critic Pate Paphides wrote in his review of it that the album strongly reminds him of Confessions, in tone and ambition, and of course the response to Pharrell on Get Lucky has been deranged. Adding this to the excitement the press/public to the new Timbaland produced Beyoncé stuff, I suddenly find myself thinking... when Madonna did this FIVE YEARS AGO she was accused of jumping on a bandwagon that was already dead in the water.

I'm not surprised, it's just another example of no one being willing to take M seriously.

Prior to Hard Candy Madonna was considered to be a trendsetter on the music scene. That album caused some damage to that reputation in that she joined the JT/Timbo/Pharrell bandwagon a few years too late but her reasoning was (as Glenda suggested) that she worked with them because she liked their music.

It was very telling that on MDNA she went back to Orbit. That decision, I am sure, was rather self conscious on her part due to the reaction to Hard Candy. I'm sure some fans will disagree with me because they tend to put her on some pedestal but the fact is that she is a human like the rest of us and she does and will react to criticisms!

The next album will be very, very interesting!

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really recall the press ever publishing articles about M jumping on bandwagons and such. Or maybe I just channeled that shit out...

And let's be honest, M was only a trendsetter for 2 albums. She put WO on the map with ROL, and discovered Mirwais and really earned the Trendsetter title because of him. AL was a rehash of Mirwais and COADf wasn't revolutionary with it's sound like the previous 2 albums mentioned. She worked with a Britney producer.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't really recall the press ever publishing articles about M jumping on bandwagons and such.

It was in most of the Hard Candy reviews.. and later on in the MDNA reviews as well. I'm surprised you're not aware of that.

And let's be honest, M was only a trendsetter for 2 albums. She put WO on the map with ROL, and discovered Mirwais and really earned the Trendsetter title because of him. AL was a rehash of Mirwais and COADf wasn't revolutionary with it's sound like the previous 2 albums mentioned. She worked with a Britney producer.

That's not actually true. Ray of Light, Music and Confessions on a Dance Floor were all considered cutting edge and trend setting albums. She was doing what no one else was doing in the mainstream. William Orbit, Mirwais and Stuart Price all became big names thanks to her. Yes, American Life was a blip but that was in a stretch that spanned 1998 to 2005.

And the whole point wasn't necessarily about which producers she worked with - yes, there was a Britney producer on Confessions but you're reducing it to make it sound like she released a Britney-esque album which she clearly did not.

The fact of the matter is that Hard Candy was shockingly mainstream and pedestrian in its choice of producers, and the sound reflected that - she was relegated to being a guest on her own record.

What is that guys name that remixed GGW but it didn't get released? gosefalstein? I want her to work with him.

He remixed GGW? I didn't know that. But yeah, Gesaffelstein. I merger between him and a Like A Virgin-style sound would be interesting. That's what I'd like to hear.

Her next album will be a happy one. Mark my words. She's flushed out all the marriage demons on the MDNA album and tour. She'll go upbeat and happy with the next record.

Mirwais became a big name, but really didn't do much after Madonna. He refused to work with anyone else.

Seriously though, she should STOP working with electronic producers/ collaborators entirely. It was fun for a decade, but Electronadonna has run her course.

That's an interesting thought. I think it is time too. She should go a completely different direction.

That's an interesting thought. I think it is time too. She should go a completely different direction.

Yeah. At this point (and I never thought I'd say this) I'd rather hear something folky & minimal than another techno tune. Dancey or dark, I'm over the electronic side of her.

I don't get it. Daft Punk couldn't be further from Timbaland/Pharrell. Not to mention they're not popular in any way. Sure, they have the #1 album this week, but they're not a pop/radio act and arguably peaked in the late '90s. She already aped their sound when she worked with Mirwais.

I don't care who she works with so long as we start seeing an improvement in singles and not terrible production like GGW and Celebration. I'd take Daft Punk over Cascada-light any day!

No folky stuff either please..nor M and guitar.

Just hire some good songwriters and real musicians and do a constipation album dedicated to Malawi with Kalakan trio and Gogol Bordello with Gypsies..and Pussy Riot.

I don't care who she works with so long as we start seeing an improvement in singles and not terrible production like GGW and Celebration. I'd take Daft Punk over Cascada-light any day!

I suppose you're right. Lesser of two evils and all that!

Yes, I agree, but I don't think she will.

As she's getting older she's confining herself more and more to the dance genre and seems to be happy to be known primarily as a "Dance Artist", and the awards, promotional agenda and chart achievements reflect that. She seems to be happy with that. As she said, "DANCE" is in her molecular structure, which is fair enough.. but I do think it's time for a big MADONNA BALLAD. MDNA came close with some tracks but still fell short. I want the next opening single to be a big haunting dark ballad. Not "Frozen", not "Secret", nothing like that.. but something completely breathtaking and different.. but still ballady.

THIS!!!!

Oof, I'm late to this tea party, catching up...

I also don't want her to work with Daft Punk on an album. Not because I care about her "chasing trends," but because there are more interesting sounds out there right now.

This is what it all boils down to. So many more interesting things going on with music than Daft Punk (who i like a lot, of course).

She needs to focus 100% on the music next time. No distractions. No movie, no perfume.

OF COURSE her team will make sure to synch up the entire Madonna branding machinery around the release of her next album! It's sad.

Her next album will be a happy one. Mark my words. She's flushed out all the marriage demons on the MDNA album and tour. She'll go upbeat and happy with the next record.

Consider the next album will once again be promotion for a tour. The "lesson" from MDNA could be twofold: 1) happy, youthful pop songs may not work for Madonna anymore, 2) the MDNA vibe was not support enough for the tour (it didn't spun hits nor did the darker electronica/dance stuff appeal to anyone outside of fans).

So what would be the next logical step to take? Make a big rock/pop album that concentrates on delivering one or two "arena" hits, and make sure the rest of the songs translate well live too? Go back to pop with an edge and see what happens? Work with RedOne or Pitbull and get a crossover dance hit at all costs?

Market her next tour as her "farewell" tour and then it won't matter what music she comes out with?

(??!?!?!)

I'm reeeaaaallly looking forward to what happens next.

Yeah. At this point (and I never thought I'd say this) I'd rather hear something folky & minimal than another techno tune. Dancey or dark, I'm over the electronic side of her.

I don't think folk either. She should go into a completely different sound that will define the next decade of her albums in the same fashion Ray of Light did.

I like their new album,especially the tracks with Nile Rodgers on guitar.I would love for Madonna to have Nile playing guitar on her next album.

Nile should have been on HC, SNM & BGO in particular.

I like the Daft Punk song, but gimme a break it's so generic retro disco it's not even funny.