I've been listening to the "Bedtime Stories" album a lot lately.

Apples388

Don't Stop is not as bad as people make it out to be. It's not a highlight on the album, and not my favorite though. I just kinda find it to be stagnant; it goes no where. I love the beat though, it gives the album a bit of variety. But I think I prefer "Id Ratha B.."

It's funny how it came down to Don't Stop and Your Honesty over which ones would make it onto the album. I find Honesty to be a fantastic track, even single worthy. But M thought it was too hip hop!

Guest Not4Pussies

since we are talking about BS, what do you guys think is Madonna's alter ego for this album since she tends to embody or feel inspired by a persona for each album.

we had Dita for Erotica. was she still Dita for BS but a more romantic, sensual Dita, not as angry and cold?

I don't know about there being an alter ego. She played various characters in the music videos for that album.

If we were to discuss what her muse was for the album, it was definitely poetry.

Bedtime Stories...I just can't...I don't know where to begin with this album. One of my all time favorites.

It just takes me to another place and time. Makes me want to be in love, with someone's arms wrapped around me.

I think it's one of her most confessional records...and sadly overlooked.

It gave us Secret. Inside of Me. Love Tried To Welcome Me (YES!!!). Sanctuary. Take A Bow.

It gave us Bedtime Story (and all those INCREDIBLE remixes - that Junior Vasquez wet dream mix that she performed at the Brits - PERFECTION).

And it gave us Human Nature - her manifesto that STILL rings true today. The ultimate 'Fuck You' song.

So glad this record is getting some love from our Suedester.

It's always been top five for me. Love how mellow and laid back it is, a nice contrast to what came before.

I have learned to really love the album the older I get. I was 15 when I became a fan and both Erotica and Bedtime Stories were always two of my least favorite albums. Now they're in my top 5. BS is lush.

Same thing happened to me actually.

I love all the songs except Don't Stop and Forbidden Love now. Great album.

Bedtime Stories...I just can't...I don't know where to begin with this album. One of my all time favorites.

It just takes me to another place and time. Makes me want to be in love, with someone's arms wrapped around me.

I think it's one of her most confessional records...and sadly overlooked.

It gave us Secret. Inside of Me. Love Tried To Welcome Me (YES!!!). Sanctuary. Take A Bow.

It gave us Bedtime Story (and all those INCREDIBLE remixes - that Junior Vasquez wet dream mix that she performed at the Brits - PERFECTION).

And it gave us Human Nature - her manifesto that STILL rings true today. The ultimate 'Fuck You' song.

this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great album. Personal favs are Survival and IRBYL. Don't Stop may not have the greatest lyrics but you'd better believe it's on my 'workout' song list.

After Ray of Light and Music, this was the 3rd studio album of hers I heard and I loved it instantly. I've always thought that the record had 2 distinct halves - the first half is a lot more contemporary and dealt with pretty straightforward lyrics/sounds, while the songs from Forbidden Love onwards are the real "bedtime stories" - poetic, romantic and melancholic. The segue from Sanctuary into Bedtime Story is when she exits her mind and body and gets unconscious. And it's all so seamless and consistent, like an unfolding book, so I don't know why she said that she struggled with making the album sound cohesive with the different producers. I think it was her 1998 interview in Q where she said that a lot of people didn't "get" this record, and I think this was what she was talking about.

oh. and the best remix of the era was always Orbital's take on "Bedtime Story".

I still pinch myself that she resurrected it for the Re-Invention Tour. where is that 2004 paparazzi shot of her carrying around the CD maxi single?!

What a beautiful lush album with so many great songs. Love so many of these songs but Inside of me is probably my favourite. Such a sad, sweet song with gorgeous dreamy vocals.

I agree. my fav from ablum as well. her vocals were perfection on that track. and the song is lush and enchanting. it swoons.

I adore Inside Of Me and Love Tried To Welcome Me. I think the latter should have been a single.

Amazing album. I think M holds it up as one of her best too. She used to always refer back it in interviews as an album she is really proud of. The whole album flows so well from start to finish. Really takes you on a journey.

The videos from this era were all amazing and the whole image and artwork were beautiful even the light blue cd cover inlay tray.

My favourite song from the album is 'Secret' and it's video - Perfection