I've been listening to the "Bedtime Stories" album a lot lately.

Apples388

I feel like you're splitting hairs with all of these examples. Of course she's hurt in BBB and Words. And Waiting is sensual? It's about longing and hurt.

I'd Rather Be Your Lover - passion/lust

Forbidden Love - passion/lust

Love Tried to Welcome Me - no romance here. She's closed off, cold, like anything on Erotica.

Sanctuary and TAB are really the only songs that are romantic. The rest of the songs don't even fall into the category of relationships/sex/love.

No, no, no. I'm not looking at micro elements in songs. I'm looking at the broad picture.

If you look at the videos and their themes you can see a distinct difference between the two

Erotica

Deeper and deeper

Bad girl

Fever

Rain

The themes are sex and sexuality. Sexual practise. Sexual paraphernalia. The only exception is Rain.

Secret

Take a bow

Bedtime story

Human nature

Despite Madonna being dressed either very provocatively or partially naked she constantly HOLDS BACK. It's the key difference between sex and romance. Romance is holding back when desire is pushing you forward. Longing. The themes in the Erotica videos are full on and forward. Sex, s and m, group sex, partying, strippers, sexual dancing, dangerous liaisons etc. Even Human nature was Madonna being held back, restrained and inhibited; she said it herself.