Madonna Talks About her Goddamned Age

Phineaspoe

Such a simple statement, but so profound. During her interview with Extra after accepting the Top Touring Artist award at the Billboard Awards, the reporter asked:

Reporter: "Do you talk about your age?"

M: "I don't have a problem with it."

"54..."

"Is that how old I am?"

"And look at you! You defy it..."

"I only defy it if other people have pre-conceived notions of what that means and what that looks like."

That was it. NEXT!

[media=]

[/media]

This is a mixed thing....on one hand, she is actively defying her age in the sense that she is not sitting there with her natural 54 year old face...on the other hand she is correct in saying she is only defying people's pre-conceived notions on what a 54 year old woman is supposed to look like. And come on, if anyone actually thought that the woman who has mastered the art of image was going to age the way your local housewife would wasn't being very keen.

Bottom line: She looks absolutely fantastic for any age.

Guest Norig

But is a twenty-something year old wearing foundation also defying her age or simply enhancing her beauty??

I think Madonna's dedication to fitness and not eating junk food everyday contributes to how well she looks. It's funny how people ignore what actually is the main factor in her looks and in another subject her success to something other than what it is. Madonna looks great MAINLY because she takes care of herself. She is successful because her music is relatable and it happens to be good. I don't believe Madonna has had anything done anything beyond the surface. Smoothing out her skin and lines a bit. If your comparing her looks to other women than you need to compare them to women who don't smoke, avoid the sun as much as possible and don't eat chips and ice cream every night. Most Americans have a terrible diet that you don't really see the toll it takes on the body until they get older. Young people shouldn't be eating a diet of junk food either because it will catch up with them. Human beings can look beautiful up until the later years if they take care of themselves. A lot of older adults are also not active enough.

The local housewife can do something about the way she looks naturally if she wanted to. I think what Madonna is saying is there is no rule to what a 54 year old is suppose to look like. A woman of 25 has no rules about what she can wear. Women do things to their body and face to change what is natural in their twenties as well.

Edited by Larkspur

But is a twenty-something year old wearing foundation also defying her age or simply enhancing her beauty??

I agree, makeup, hair-dye, etc...it's all about creating an illusion. Some people see cosmetic procedures as a different level though...it is all perspective.

I started using anti aging beauty products in my early twenties. I was more obsessed then than I am now. I remember reading an article and I can't remember the actress's name, she was an older actress and she said avoid the sun. I have never been tanning but I haven't completely avoided the sun. I will never go into one of those tanning booths.

There are some feminist types out there I have heard saying they wish Madonna had been truly revolutionary and aged naturally, going against the establishment as she used to, but anyone who says that obviously does not understand Madonna. I believe she is being completely revolutionary by remaining sexually powerful and in control of her image even in her mid-50s. She is directly defying social standard for how a woman of a certain age should dress by defiantly expressing her sexuality in bold and direct ways. Even as a huge fan I was shocked at what she turned up in at the BBMA, but I loved it all the same. Madonna's core attitude has always been "this is what I feel like doing, and if you don't like it, fuck you, I really do not care what you think".....

She takes amazing care of herself (cosmetic procedures included) and has every right to display and express her hard work and dedication. She has always used her body as a source of connection and provocation anyhow, it is apart of her as an artist and will always be so. People somehow expected MADONNA of all artists/celebrities, to somehow morph into a harmless "woman of a certain age" type (granted, she did head in this direction about a decade ago...but we will blame that on Ritchie)....but this is the woman who pioneered pop sensationalism, why would anyone ever expect for that to change? If anything, she is more herself now than ever and I personally love the fact that she will still be expressing her sexuality for another 20 years or more.

I think Madonna's dedication to fitness and not eating junk food everyday contributes to how well she looks. It's funny how people ignore what actually is the main factor in her looks and in another subject her success to something other than what it is. Madonna looks great MAINLY because she takes care of herself.

This is pure comedy. Sorry, but when u get ur face pulled & injected with more fluid than a melting pole cap that sorta becomes

irrelevant. Let's keep it real. :fag:

There are some feminist types out there I have heard saying they wish Madonna had been truly revolutionary and aged naturally, going against the establishment as she used to, but anyone who says that obviously does not understand Madonna. I believe she is being completely revolutionary by remaining sexually powerful and in control of her image even in her mid-50s. She is directly defying social standard for how a woman of a certain age should dress by defiantly expressing her sexuality in bold and direct ways. Even as a huge fan I was shocked at what she turned up in at the BBMA, but I loved it all the same. Madonna's core attitude has always been "this is what I feel like doing, and if you don't like it, fuck you, I really do not care what you think".....

Yes, that traditional feminist argument ignores the fact that there has always been a certain amount of artifice in Madonna's appearance. She has always used makeup, hair color, styling and fashion as a way of expressing herself. Her image has never been about being natural. I'm consider myself a feminist but I don't really get into the traditional feminist theory that makeup and beauty is oppressive and something a male dominated society forces you to do to be conventional. I feel that all that is something you can take control off as a woman and use it to express your personality. You can do it because it's what you want to not because a male dominated society is telling you have to.

This is pure comedy. Sorry, but when u get ur face pulled & injected with more fluid than a melting pole cap that sorta becomes

fitness plays into that as well. What makes you assume we are only referring to her face. Your post is comedy

fitness plays into that as well. What makes you assume we are only referring to her face. Your post is comedy

I was referring to her face, she's in great shape, but I don't think that's what makes her look 'young'

on the surface.

So are you saying that if Elton John had Botox he would look as young as Madonna? :chuckle:

So are you saying that if Elton John had Botox he would look as young as Madonna? :chuckle:

Only If he got a matching rack. :fag:

No I'm saying, If her face were properly wrinkled...people wouldn't say she looks young(er), but they'd say

she's in great shape.

It's a combination of the both. Obviously she takes great care of herself through diet, exercise, not smoking etc. but she also has had cosmetic procedures. It's not an either/or. I don't think she has had a face lift though. I think she has injectables like Botox and Restalyne. It's not like she lies about having them. She just don't talk about it either way. It annoys me when celebrities say that all you have to do to look young is eat vegetables like they do, when you know they have had procedures.

No I'm saying, If her face were properly wrinkled...people wouldn't say she looks young(er), but they'd say

she's in great shape.

I understand what you're saying. Madonna has VERY LITTLE fat on her body and we all know that a bit of chub makes people look younger. That's why she always looks best when she's finished touring or when she's not as focused on working out. I like the fact that she invests in cosmetic procedures for work because photos last forever. It makes sense. Her natural face would look younger than her years but not as young as she looks with the procedures obviously. Even Christopher who is bloated and a mess looks quite young in some respects. I don't think Madonna wants to look young. I think she wants to look good, as she always has. But sometimes (okay mostly) looking young and good falls in line just like when she got those collagen lips. Your lips thin as you age and that's why full lips are an attractive trait.

she's in great shape.

Yes and no - they also say she looks great also because she's still doing cartwheels and dancing through 2 hour shows like it's nothing. She's still energetic and has a full-blown pop career.

These are also reasons why people say she "looks" great, and those all have to do with physical exercise AND her own mindset and vigor. You can't buy these through surgery.

lol, that's would be something very anti-feminist to be said by a feminist.

I totally agree with you. I love how she's challenging what is sexually acceptable for a woman beyond her 40's to do.

Let's not confuse things. Madonna only cares about Madonna. So can we please stop with groups of people whining that "their" Madonna would never do this or that, or what she has done. There's no rule to what Madonna has done or will do in the future. If you wrap your head around that then Madonna very much makes sense. She's not here to keep it real with the feminists or get down with the gay boys. She's here for the betterment of all things Madonna. If she wears fishnet stockings it's because she thinks her legs look damn good in them.

This article was in the Wall Street Journal recently. I saw another, titled "'Dressing Your Age is an Evolving Concept," in the print edition, and it contained minor differences.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2013/05/20/can-madonna-make-flashy-fashion-safe-for-fiftysomethings/?KEYWORDS=madonna

"Can Madonna Make Flashy Fashion Safe for Fiftysomethings"?

Madonna continues to push boundaries and buttons. And once again, people are asking if she’s gone too far.

This time, it’s the racy outfits she’s been wearing, not the costumes she sports during concerts, but the clothes she wears (or doesn’t wear) to public events like Sunday’s Billboard Music Awards. Accepting a Top Touring Artist award on stage, Madonna showed up in a provocative and skimpy ensemble that looked like it might have been borrowed from Lady Gaga (who herself has been known, figuratively, to borrow from Madonna). The outfit, custom made by Givenchy’s Riccardo Tisci, included a black shredded fishnet dress, which revealed a garter belt and black briefs.

Madonna’s outfit, as her outfits sometimes do, set off a round of tweets. “Madonna you are my mothers age. Needless to say i don’t want to see either of you in fishnet tights,” one viewer complained. “did mackelmore help madonna go thrift shopping when she bought that coat” asked another. Many tweeters expressed a blend of revulsion and envy. Madonna “is like 50 years old and has a better body than me oh” said one.

Madonna is 54 and has maintained an enviable shape. Those things command admiration from some, but scorn from others.

But Madonna’s age and insistence in putting sex in our faces makes some people uncomfortable–allowing her, in her fifties, to press a whole new set of buttons. Commentators are less offended by such outfits when they are worn by a younger star. Should a woman Madonna’s age being wearing something a little more covered up? some ask. Shouldn’t she dress her age? others question. To some it looks like she’s trying too hard to look young. To some, it comes off as desperate, embarrassing and a little sad.

My colleague, Journal reporter Christina Binkley, posed this question in an email: “When did we decide that women over 50 should be sexless? That certainly wasn’t the attitude in the glory days of Hollywood when stars continued seducing men well into their maturity. We’ve gotten so puritan!” She later added “I’m sorry, Madonna’s outfit just doesn’t look that outlandish to me. If Lady Gaga wore that, we’d yawn – she’s never that tame.”

So is Madonna trying to compete with Gaga, Beyonce, Britney and Rihanna, who are each indebted to her? Prove she’s still relevant? Or that she was the first to go there? And is she making herself look foolish in trying to still wear what they wear now and what she used to?

Madonna may be trying to make a new statement: Why should a woman over 50 start to dress matronly? Why, if she still has a toned body, can’t she wear risqué outfits?

Or she may be trapped. Her image is closely tied to how she looks and that look is closely tied to sex. Maybe she doesn’t know any other way to be or she thinks this is what her fans expect.

It does raise this question: how much longer will Madonna continue to wear get ups like this? What is her daughter Lourdes thinking? What example is she setting for her and for Beyonce and Rihanna once they turn 50? Can we expect to see Rihanna singing “S&M” in something skimpy in 30 years too?

Jennifer Lopez, in her early 40s, performed last night in an outfit that was similarly provocative. Who knows when or if, provided she maintains her famous shape, she’ll decide to retire such looks? What lessons can real women, and men, entering their 40s, 50s and beyond take from this when walking the fine line between dressing their age – whatever that might mean – and dressing like they’re denying their ages?

There are no easy answers. We may just have to wait to see what Madonna decides to wear when she turns 60.

Let's not confuse things. Madonna only cares about Madonna. So can we please stop with groups of people whining that "their" Madonna would never do this or that, or what she has done. There's no rule to what Madonna has done or will do in the future. If you wrap your head around that then Madonna very much makes sense. She's not here to keep it real with the feminists or get down with the gay boys. She's here for the betterment of all things Madonna. If she wears fishnet stockings it's because she thinks her legs look damn good in them.

The Madonna I know would never type that. /\

Guest Xanthium

It's a little tiresome that people are so shocked she looks so good at 54. 54 is not that old. We don't live in the Middle Ages anymore where people in their 30's were considered senior citizens.

People in their 50s and 60s are becoming incredibly sexy now and are removing the notion of the grandma/grandpa model. Of course the close minded still have a problem with this, of the opinion that everyone should all be dating "age appropriate" and all that nonsense.

Edited by BrokenButterfly

Yes let's keep it real. I'm sorry, you can do all the procedures you want but if you put junk in your body and lay around all the time you are not going to look good. Madonna has not had anything drastic done and if she used cosmetic procedures on her face she looks good in spite of it not because of it. Again the M A I N reason for Madonna looking good is her fitness schedule and her eating habits and she avoids the sun. Women of all ages wear makeup because eyeshadow and blush enhance the eyes and cheekbones and wear foundation to make not so flawless skin look flawless but you will look your best with diet and exercise.

Edited by Larkspur

Just as a note, the feminism discussed in this thread maintains views of only a section of the feminist spectrum. There are many things to consider, as was discussed in the article HG posted, and depending on how each feminist addresses those things, many will have distinct opinions on what exactly Madonna's role in challenging female stereotypes in regards to age is. Feminists that double as that and fans (like Glinda and myself) would argue that Madonna is trying to positively reimage what it is to be a woman over 50, and other feminists would call her desperate and irrelevant. Feminism doesn't always agree with itself, and there is no single, distinct, correct view. Just thought I'd point that out.

JLO, Mariah, Kylie...they are not spring chicken, and I think that thanks to madonna´s attitude, the people donñt see them as acting ridiculously.Of course, people do it with mariah, but also happened when she was 30

she's in great shape.

I know of women who smoked all their lives and had a poor diet and it shows in their skin and I know women who took care of themselves, drank water and got exercise and they did not have many if any wrinkles in their fifties. I don't where people get the idea that women in their fifties have a ton of wrinkles. They have lines developing and so does Madonna. If you take care of the inside then the less you need to do on the outside.

Personally I think people in their 50's and 60's are looking younger and younger because more and more, youth is what society values, and 'wisdom' and other similar concepts are worth nothing. Old people are not accorded any respect any more; they're just treated as irrelevant. On the one hand it's great and life affirming to see that Madonna pushing her body and defying preconceived notions of how a 50 something woman should look. On the other; it's a little bit of a shame that she has to inject her face to give her the appearance of a surprised 30 year old because it's expected of her.

I don't blame her for it though. We all want to stay young and pretty for as long as possible.