Why Does M. Refuse to Revive TAKE A BOW

Phineaspoe

Forget all this talk about take a bow ( I agree with the good folks who think it a snooze fest). It is criminal of Madonna to continue to ignore BAD GIRL, her true ballad masterpiece. She sang it once and 10/10 for the performance, and this song would virtually fit into any tour- could you imagine it inMDNA straight after gang bang or LAV, faints!

:clap:

Forget all this talk about take a bow ( I agree with the good folks who think it a snooze fest). It is criminal of Madonna to continue to ignore BAD GIRL, her true ballad masterpiece. She sang it once and 10/10 for the performance, and this song would virtually fit into any tour- could you imagine it inMDNA straight after gang bang or LAV, faints!

you're so right!

She could do a pre-encore "classic Hollywood" segment that could include "Beautiful Killer", a 40's swing-style "Hollywood", something from "I'm Breathless" (Something To Remember, maybe??? :)) and end it with "Take A Bow"

Inside of Me is the song about her mother. @5:20.

I forgot how much I enjoyed this interview. She's so funny :-)

I like that Interview. and espeacially her hair. Everything on that era from Take a bow to Youll see, I liked the most.

And now after that interview, I am listening again to the album Bedtime stories and my fav song Inside of me <3

Me neither really. But I swear she did say it. I remember thinking it didn't make sense at the time especially with lines like "you took my love for granted why of why."

Perhaps the song started out as a song about her mother when she 1st wrote the melody, then she changed the lyrics to a love story about an actor later on. I mean who knows how the song has evolved from its original idea. Hearing demos like 'Infinity' or 'Beat Goes On' really shows us how she develops songs and makes alot of changes to them in some cases.

Oh I believe you. I have heard things she has said over the years that I know she has said.

Off topic I wish someone would do a study solely on Madonna's music on television or radio. Has there ever been a marathon of Madonna's music on radio? Playing her entire catalog?

I actually think Take A Bow is underrated. It has such a pretty melody. I have to add that Masterpiece is underrated by some but it does have a Golden Globe deservedly so.

LYTWM is another song that draws influences from literature. I can't remember the poems name, but someone posted it a few years ago.

LYTWM is another song that draws influences from literature. I can't remember the poems name, but someone posted it a few years ago.

well there's the reference in the chorus to The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter by Cormac McCarthy, but I'm not aware of any other poem in that song. Sanctuary has sections of Voices by Walt Whitman

Found it:

LOVE (III)

by George Herbert

Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back,

Guilty of dust and sin.

But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack

From my first entrance in,

Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning

If I lack'd anything.

"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here";

Love said, "You shall be he."

"I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear,

I cannot look on thee."

Love took my hand and smiling did reply,

"Who made the eyes but I?"

"Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame

Go where it doth deserve."

"And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?"

"My dear, then I will serve."

"You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat."

So I did sit and eat.

she is all in dance move songs while she can dance...

there is plenty of time to play all ballads....

probably once will happen great reinvention of this song with guitar or some piano accousticly....so she ll perform it. as so many other great songs.

Found it:

LOVE (III)

by George Herbert

Guilty of dust and sin.

If I lack'd anything.

I cannot look on thee."

So I did sit and eat.

that is stunning. She is so widely read she could have references everywhere and 95% of people would completely miss them

She could do a pre-encore "classic Hollywood" segment that could include "Beautiful Killer", a 40's swing-style "Hollywood", something from "I'm Breathless" (Something To Remember, maybe??? :)) and end it with "Take A Bow"

I just fainted

Actually, Bad Girl would've been perfect for MDNA! I can totally see fit as part of the M&F or Transgression section!

I just love Take a Bow. For me it's one of the standout vocal performances of her career, very theatrical and at some parts very demanding. Nobody else could pull it off, let alone make it a big hit. I also don't find it dated, it has many elements production-wise that set it apart from R&B songs of that era. And of course the video is one of her best, possibly in her Top 5.

Found it:

LOVE (III)

by George Herbert

Guilty of dust and sin.

If I lack'd anything.

I cannot look on thee."

So I did sit and eat.

Intense. Amazing.

Actually, Bad Girl would've been perfect for MDNA! I can totally see fit as part of the M&F or Transgression section!

I agree, but I'm not surprised since it's such a difficult song to sing.

But yeah, though I love many of her ballads, as a fan none surpass Rain and Bad Girl.

I wrote about TAB because it's such a huge hit, people still remember it even though it's not one of those classics that's played all the time on the radio. That's how powerful that song is.

^ Exactly, BG was a relative flop at the time. She sang it well on SNL, but I don't see her ever digging this one up again. TAB, on the other hand, would fit less well with her current style/sound, but it was just too big a hit to ignore forever. It will show up in a setlist soon. It's inevitable.

BECAUSE OF THIS....

[media=]

[/media]

I think she did it great in pure Madonna style. Its not perfect but its not bad either. I actually love her deep voice here. In fact i think she would sound far worse nowadays.

It's a nice enough song, but I'd rather hear Bedtime Story or Sanctuary.

A beefed up, modernized trip hop/deep electro Sanctuary would be perf for an interlude.

Sanctuary deserves more than just an interlude. It's a gorgeous and deep song.

Well yes, but either way, it probably ain't happenin. But I totally wouldn't mind another rendition of Human Nature tbh :1251:

She still has a lot luv for BS. I just know one day we will get more performances from that album. I still hope for Inside of Me.

Anyway, back to Take a Bow...

I'm trying to find the interview where she said she originally wrote it about her mother, as I too remember her saying that somewhere, but I can't find it anywhere! It must of been a print interview. Someone help!

I was watching interviews to find it when I came across the Canadian interview she did with MuchMoreMusic, M had this to say about the song:

It's funny everybody has different reactions, it's meant to be a love song, a farewell song to someone that I loved. But lots of people have heard it and said that they thought it was suicidal or that I was looking in the mirror and saying goodbye to a certain part in my life or a certain side of me. I never thought of it that way, I think that's interesting. But I wrote it specifically about someone.