Why Does M. Refuse to Revive TAKE A BOW

Phineaspoe

I often hear TAB at the local supermarket. Seems to be a favourite along with (ironically) 4 Minutes! I like both songs, but they'd work better with live instrumentals instead. TAB with some violins and 4M with a marching bagpipe band. Hah!

All this hate for Take a Bow...

Shame on you! It's a beautiful songs and it's better than most of Madonna's recent songs (GMAYL, Superstar, B-day Song,..)

You can't compare 4 Minutes with Take a Bow, tbh...

Take a Bow was going to be performed on RIT at the end of the showgirl section, which would've been PERFECT! It was dropped, because Madonna didn't want no farewell songs to be performed on RIT, which was supposed to be a greatest hits tour after AL flopped. She didn't want to give the attention that she was actually taking her final bow.

I think Take a Bow is a very hard song to remix/re-arrange as it's already perfect the way it is...

I often hear TAB at the local supermarket. Seems to be a favourite along with (ironically) 4 Minutes! I like both songs, but they'd work better with live instrumentals instead. TAB with some violins and 4M with a marching bagpipe band. Hah!

radio and general public loves those songs, they are not only some niche gay club songs

That's my guess too. TAB and 4M are just numbers when we are discussing her hits. That's it. Not even 'real' Madonna songs.

4M is basically the TAB of the 2000s. it even had the fucking producer making awful noises on the background. :lmao:

Baby Face's vocals are awful. I have to listen to the demo as I can't stand the final version.

This song tanked in the UK. It has potential but it's one of my least favourite singles by M but I would love to hear it live if it were reworked. Better than hearing Human Nature for a fourth time!

I remember when Take A Bow came out. It was all over radio. I couldn't ride in the car back then without hearing it at least a couple times on several radio stations every few hours. Even folks who hated Madonna fell for the song.

Such a supermarket song!! I hear it frequently too :D

Such a supermarket song!! I hear it frequently too :D

I'll Remember gets a lot of spins in my supermarket.

'Take a Bow' was a mega-hit here in the United States. This happened right after people said Madonna was "over." Of course, Madonna gave into their wishes when she released "Bedtime Story," which didn't even chart in the top 40. But what they didn't realize is that Madonna was predicting the "electronica" future. Anyhow, I loved "Bedtime Story" and was convinced it would be her next "Vogue."

^ It sold decently in UK. It was christmas seasons so there were a lot of competition during that week..

It was never going to do well in the UK. It was her worst chart position for ten years.

'Take a Bow' was a mega-hit here in the United States. This happened right after people said Madonna was "over." Of course, Madonna gave into their wishes when she released "Bedtime Story," which didn't even chart in the top 40. But what they didn't realize is that Madonna was predicting the "electronica" future. Anyhow, I loved "Bedtime Story" and was convinced it would be her next "Vogue."

Whose wishes? I'm pretty sure BS as a follow-up to TAB was totally M's idea. The smarter move would have been to release "Forbidden Love" or even "Don't Stop," which was already getting airplay in certain markets.

Whose wishes? I'm pretty sure BS as a follow-up to TAB was totally M's idea. The smarter move would have been to release "Forbidden Love" or even "Don't Stop," which was already getting airplay in certain markets.

I agree.But I guess she was in love with BS (the song)

Guest bluejean

'Don't Stop' probably would have been a top 10 hit after 'Take a Bow.' But can you imagine her releasing that and then 'Forbidden Love' instead of 'Bedtime Story' and 'Human Nature.' My God that would have been shit. 'Bedtime Story' is a classic as is 'Human Nature.' Neither were hits but they are right up there with some of her best singles.

'Don't Stop' probably would have been a top 10 hit after 'Take a Bow.' But can you imagine her releasing that and then 'Forbidden Love' instead of 'Bedtime Story' and 'Human Nature.' My God that would have been shit. 'Bedtime Story' is a classic as is 'Human Nature.' Neither were hits but they are right up there with some of her best singles.

Damna righta!

Both top ten in the UK! TAB was always the wrong choice for the UK and tanked big time here. Love Tried To Welcome Me is an absolute gem that would have performed better.

I am surprised it's never been performed live though. Same with You'll See. They'd fit in most shows.

BS and HN were great singles and had great videos, but that's like saying "The Power of Goodbye" and "Nothing Really Matters" being singles instead of "Skin" and "Sky Fits Heaven" would have been "shit." FL is a great song and would have been a totally worthy follow-up to TAB. DS isn't a fan favorite, but I'm sure if M had earned another Top 10 hit, we wouldn't be complaining.

I've always thought (and said) that FL should have been the third single. It was such a no brainer after TAB. But I think they should have released BS in Europe (and as the B-side in the U.S. with remixes the way they did "Bad Girl"/"Fever" in '93). DS was already getting airplay, so that would have been the ideal fourth single, but at that point HN would have been fine too, although despite the fact that I like the song, I think it was destined to flop as a single.

I remember hearing BS on the radio once and HN not at all. I was not happy that they didnt do well like the first 2 singles. Looking back now I wouldn't want it to be any other way, life would not be the same without BS and HN videos.

I can't see that era without BS and HN as singles...even though, yes, a few other songs would have probably done really well chart wise.

BS is pure magic...but it was pretty unconventional. Though as much as M wants that commercial success...at that time, I think she relished going to the left while everyone else was going to the right.

But I think one of those remixes as the 'main mix' for the single could have propelled it higher.

And she was going to release HN regardless. I think she knew it wasn't number 1 hit single material, but that didn't matter...and that wasn't the point. It's so much an integral part of her overall manifesto as an artist, and in response to the hell she had been through the years prior...it was about making the statement regardless of commercial success. And I think we're all glad she did.

This has always been what I thought M's logic was for those singles (and I'm probably wrong, but I thought this as far back as 1995):

Bedtime Story: As I said in another thread just now, Bjork's first album was why Madonna wanted to work with Nellee Hooper and I suspect she wanted the whole album to sound like that, but felt pressure (both internal and external) to follow more American trends and score a hit album after Erotica/Sex. So once TAB became her biggest hit in the U.S., I think she felt like she could do what she wanted and probably score a hit no matter what she released next. I like that she did it, as I love the song and think it deserved to be a hit, but I think it was a miscalculation in terms of commercial viability and keeping the album's sales momentum going. I heard that song only once or twice on the radio, and it was on Z100, which was sponsoring the pajama party, so they probably felt obligated.

Human Nature: My theory here was that BS's failure as a single was partly why she went with HN as the fourth and final single. I think she was probably irked that BS didn't do better, and rather than release something more radio-friendly, she decided to go in the opposite direction and be more defiant. The final "fuck you" to her critics. And VogueMusic is probably right - it was probably going to be a single no matter what because she wanted to publicly make that statement.

This has always been what I thought M's logic was for those singles (and I'm probably wrong, but I thought this as far back as 1995):

Bedtime Story: As I said in another thread just now, Bjork's first album was why Madonna wanted to work with Nellee Hooper and I suspect she wanted the whole album to sound like that, but felt pressure (both internal and external) to follow more American trends and score a hit album after Erotica/Sex. So once TAB became her biggest hit in the U.S., I think she felt like she could do what she wanted and probably score a hit no matter what she released next. I like that she did it, as I love the song and think it deserved to be a hit, but I think it was a miscalculation in terms of commercial viability and keeping the album's sales momentum going. I heard that song only once or twice on the radio, and it was on Z100, which was sponsoring the pajama party, so they probably felt obligated.

Human Nature: My theory here was that BS's failure as a single was partly why she went with HN as the fourth and final single. I think she was probably irked that BS didn't do better, and rather than release something more radio-friendly, she decided to go in the opposite direction and be more defiant. The final "fuck you" to her critics. And VogueMusic is probably right - it was probably going to be a single no matter what because she wanted to publicly make that statement.

I think she released it as the fourth single because her record label had reservations about releasing this track (they asked her to release Don't Stop, instead). I think she probably would've released it as the second single, because we all know how much she loves this song.

When the album was released in October 1994 promo posters in record shops said 'contains the singles Secret, Take a Bow, Bedtime Story and Human Nature'.

They were always going to be the singles.

It was a different story in the UK than US. Secret was also a big hit in the US and in UK it went in at No 3 and people were saying she was over. Then there was that infamous magazine interview where they painted her as this old lonely spinster ( I can't recall what magazine it was ) and TAB totally tanked in UK. It reached No 16 and became her first song not to reach the Top 10 in years.

Guest bluejean

BS and HN were great singles and had great videos, but that's like saying "The Power of Goodbye" and "Nothing Really Matters" being singles instead of "Skin" and "Sky Fits Heaven" would have been "shit."

What? :lol: No it isn't. And Skin as a single would have sucked. I think Sky Fits Heaven instead of Drowned World in the UK would have great. But other than that the single choices were perfect for Ray of Light.

What? :lol: No it isn't. And Skin as a single would have sucked. I think Sky Fits Heaven instead of Drowned World in the UK would have great. But other than that the single choices were perfect for Ray of Light.

Yes, they were, but I wish they would've went with releasing Skin as a single between NRM and Beautiful Stranger...