Why Does M. Refuse to Revive TAKE A BOW

Phineaspoe

Hi. I was going to say this in response to the Falling Free/Some Girls, but then figured we don't have much else to discuss, so...

Why does Madge refuse to sing this one live? Considering her lower register has expanded as a product of her age, it seems this song (or a modified version) could be pretty sweet for her to sing. It would also be a big crowd pleaser. It seems to me that it would've been nice to have it included in RIT or MDNA Tour.

If I recall correctly, she has stated her dislike for the song, but then again she said she disliked Material Girl and later sang it 56 more times. Same with Vogue, LAV or ITG, no?

In any case, I hope it makes a comeback soon - along with NRM, I'll Remember, TPOG, Sorry, Everybody, and others!

Guest Not4Pussies

i would like for her to perform Ill Remember, TOG and TAB as well, oh and Bad Girl and Rain

but i think if TAB ever does make an appearance on tour we might get something like Rain on S&S

When did she say she didn't like it?

My take is that it's like 4M, which I bet she'll never sing again. They're just songs that such products of their times, produced by of-the-moment producers and sound less like "Madonna" songs than many of her other hits. TAB is very pretty, and it was obviously a personal song to her at the time, but the one time she DID sing it live, she didn't sound very good and she probably knows it. That hasn't stopped her from singing other songs she's sung badly in the past, but could be a factor. Doesn't she also usually avoid songs about Sean? And I got the sense that's who it was about.

It's not a very good song first of all.

Secondly, she'd have to find a way to perform the song. I don't think she added it to any of the previous tours because there was no place for it.

You can't just put any song in any random spot on a Mafonna tour. So many people thought Love Spent would be perfect during the Basque section on MDNA, when lyrically it has no place being there. It's perfect and makes sense having it after LAV.

i would like for her to perform Ill Remember, TOG and TAB as well, oh and Bad Girl and Rain

but i think if TAB ever does make an appearance on tour we might get something like Rain on S&S

All of those songs deserves recognition. They are all amazing timeless classics.

I think it depends where her mind is at the moment. For the past 10 years she has been very dance driven and whenever she needs to include ballads on her tours she usually reserves the space for something more recent (Live To Tell at the CT was a big exception on the rule).

Maybe if she returns to her 95 ballad queen mood she may add those songs on her tours, but as for now she seems very into high energy dance anthems leaving little space for drama.

Guest Not4Pussies

It's not a very good song first of all.

Secondly, she'd have to find a way to perform the song. I don't think she added it to any of the previous tours because there was no place for it.

You can't just put any song in any random spot on a Mafonna tour. So many people thought Love Spent would be perfect during the Basque section on MDNA, when lyrically it has no place being there. It's perfect and makes sense having it after LAV.

it's not a very good song? it's like adreeyen saying deeper and deeper is not a good song.

you don't think take a bow would have fit nicely in the spanish section of drowned world tour?

When did she say she didn't like it? My take is that it's like 4M, which I bet she'll never sing again.

I honestly cannot remember where/when she said it, but I have a pretty vivid memory of her saying something about the song not meaning much to her. It wasn't that she strongly disliked it (like MG or LAV), but more like she didn't care for the song. If someone can unearth this, it would be greatly appreciated!

I would challenge that she won't sing 4 Minutes again. Two reasons: 1) for now, it's her last big hit. there's no reason why she won't unearth it next year or whenever she tours again. it'd be even wise for her to do so. 2) she has shown us with MDNA Tour that she can turn mediocre songs into something at least interesting. Not that I'm asking to ever hear this "song" ever again!

When you think about it that way it certainly puts things in perspective. :rotfl:

I know, right? I remember those interviews where she basically slammed much of her entire 80s catalog, which was simply ridiculous. Sure, many songs were stupid or not as "artistic" as her latter material, but many are simply SUPERB - especially and ironically many of the ones that she refuses to sing now.

BECAUSE OF THIS....

[media=]

[/media]

Lol I was going to say that... Baby Face sux haha... I think it's really difficult to sing for her.

I'd never seen that performance before and whilst it's not amazing, it's nowhere near as bad as the comments here would suggest.

IT'S NOT, JUST IMAGINE TRYING TO SING THIS FOR 50 SOME DATES THO

it's not a very good song? it's like adreeyen saying deeper and deeper is not a good song.

you don't think take a bow would have fit nicely in the spanish section of drowned world tour?

The song isn't my cup of tea. I've tried numerous times to like it, but it fails everytime. It's still just a 7/10.

And it could have fit in DWT, but maybe M didn't think so? :shruggshoulders:

I have always found Take A Bow to be a transition song for Madonna. Like saying goodbye to that particular past which is why it probaly has not been included. I have two ways of thinking about the song. I have thought about Sean as well or just to the public in general. This song came after a very publicly critical time for Madonna. I thought she was giving up music.

With her vocal improvements through the years, I don't think a past performance would keep her from performing it.

It was considered for re-Invention, but it didn't make the cut.

Guest Not4Pussies

yeah wasnt there a rumor that it was considered for re-invention but she opted not to perform it since she did not want to perform any songs with the word "goodbye" in them.

When did she say she didn't like it? My take is that it's like 4M, which I bet she'll never sing again. They're just songs that such products of their times, produced by of-the-moment producers and sound less like "Madonna" songs than many of her other hits. TAB is very pretty, and it was obviously a personal song to her at the time, but the one time she DID sing it live, she didn't sound very good and she probably knows it. That hasn't stopped her from singing other songs she's sung badly in the past, but could be a factor. Doesn't she also usually avoid songs about Sean? And I got the sense that's who it was about.

Its like you were reading my mind. :wink: I don't think we'll ever hear Cherish or True Blue live again because of this too.

I don't blame her. I've always felt like lots of Erotica and bits of Bedtime Stories were about Sean. (and her Mother)

It's like when people make up their "dream set lists" and they put Promise to Try on it. Like she's want to put that out into a stadium show after show and torture herself.

It's not a very good song first of all. Secondly, she'd have to find a way to perform the song. I don't think she added it to any of the previous tours because there was no place for it. You can't just put any song in any random spot on a Mafonna tour. So many people thought Love Spent would be perfect during the Basque section on MDNA, when lyrically it has no place being there. It's perfect and makes sense having it after LAV.

Sometimes you write things that just make me scratch my head. Although I agree about LAV/LS (which is also the only place I could fit it into the MDNA setlist before she added it),

...but Take A Bow isn't a very good song? Seriously?

Take a Bow is a Masterpiece. Not a Disasterpiece like Masterpiece.

I enjoy Disasterpiece though. But it is not a Masterpiece like Take a Bow is.

Guest Not4Pussies

i thought a lot of erotica was about warren

especially waiting. she used to call him pussy man cause he liked eating the pussay

Boy, let it go!

I have always found Take A Bow to be a transition song for Madonna. Like saying goodbye to that particular past which is why it probaly has not been included. I have two ways of thinking about the song. I have thought about Sean as well or just to the public in general. This song came after a very publicly critical time for Madonna. I thought she was giving up music.

During the interview with Kurt Loder she said she wrote the song about an "actor." What other famous actors had she been in a relationship with at that point? I think only Sean.

Sometimes you write things that just make me scratch my head. Although I agree about LAV/LS (which is also the only place I could fit it into the MDNA setlist before she added it),

...but Take A Bow isn't a very good song? Seriously?

It's really her one single that I just can not get into. Bday Song, Don't Stop, Id Rather Be Your Lover, Runaway Lover, I Love New York, Incredible, Spanish Lesson, all fantastic tracks that I ADORE. But Take a Bow..., like I said I can not get into. It's just a 7/10 song for me. I don't see the appeal.

i thought a lot of erotica was about warren

especially waiting. she used to call him pussy man cause he liked eating the pussay

There's some Sean in there. Thief of Hearts makes me think of Robin Wright.

Take a Bow is a Masterpiece. Not a Disasterpiece like Masterpiece.

I enjoy Disasterpiece though. But it is not a Masterpiece like Take a Bow is.

Masterpiece is gorgeous. A stand out track. I love the lyrics.