1994 'details' interview

Guest I'llTeachYouHowTo...

Guest I'llTeachYouHowTo...

i just re-read this on best-of-madonna.com

i absolutely love this interview. if bitch ever gets around to writing that autobiography, the whole mid-90's period following 'sex' is definitely one of the ones i'm hoping she goes into detail about. she just seemed so...sad then. i've always felt like she really struggled with a lot for awhile there, and this interview is an interesting insight into her state of mind at the time. especially the part near the end about the cuban 'mother' and her 'honey ritual'.

i know most fans generally seem to be indifferent towards the 'bedtime stories' era but i think it's one of the most interesting of her career, if not necessarily musically, but something about her during that time has always fascinated me.

anyway, here's the link for those who have never read it. anyone else have any thoughts on this?

http://www.best-of-m...-1994&Itemid=13

The Details interview, along with The Face and Esquire from the same year, almost seemed like she was happy to be back on top, but

like she felt shaken by all the backlash of '92-93.

the Details interviewer, I think was bit more generous of the 'off the record" Madonna but not in a mean or vindictive way like some other

publications have been.

I agree that if an autobiography is written, I'd hope that she spends some time on those years. I've always felt like between Bedtime Stories and Ray of Light

there were lots of therapy sessions that made their way into the studio.

I've always thought Bedtime Stories (as a complete collection of songs) was one of her most lyrically inspired and confessional albums, and along with Ray Of Light ,

all about goodbyes, loneliness, and the sorrows of loss.

Looking back, the years spanning divorce#1 and marriage#2 seems like a lot of identity crises and trying to find herself, like all of us in our 30's tend to do.

I always remember reading that interview with Madonna. She seemed so sad and vulnerable at that particular time. It also proved to me that Madonna actually does care what is written and said about her and I understand why she now chooses to never read press about herself.

You can tell she never got over her mother dying and also at that time, she went through a shocking back-lash. Also, her divorce seemed to scar her for a while on top of that. She seems a lot happier now and as usual, always picks herself up and gets on with life. Having children and discovering Kabbalah seems to have also been a great comfort. I also would love to read her autobiography as I think she would not hold back and we would get to read her thoughts throughout her entire life. It is the same with us all, sometimes in life we are not happy while at other times feel completely at ease with life. .

I agree, her interviews around this time showed a really vulnerable side to her. She was very wounded by the backlash of 92-93. Still defiant, but wounded and hurt that she had been so grossly misunderstood - and in being so, had proved many of the things she was talking about to be true. The paranoia and disappointment were apparent in every interview, particularly The Face interview.

I dont think we'll ever see an autobiography from her. The most we'll get will be edited journals, that she claims to have written every day. In a way id rather that as i think it would provide some insight, whilst still leaving an element of ambiguity and mistique about her - its more fitting to her character.

That and autobiography's are a little tacky.

Guest bluejean

I agree, her interviews around this time showed a really vulnerable side to her. She was very wounded by the backlash of 92-93. Still defiant, but wounded and hurt that she had been so grossly misunderstood - and in being so, had proved many of the things she was talking about to be true. The paranoia and disappointment were apparent in every interview, particularly The Face interview.

I dont think we'll ever see an autobiography from her. The most we'll get will be edited journals, that she claims to have written every day. In a way id rather that as i think it would provide some insight, whilst still leaving an element of ambiguity and mistique about her - its more fitting to her character.

That and autobiography's are a little tacky.

She has said numerous times she plans to write an autobiography oneday. Although, imo diary entries would be MORE revealing since she wouldn't censor herself the way she would in an autobiography. It would be something like The Evita Diaries which would be amazing. An autobiography would be burdened with a very selective memory I think.

This was a wonderful read. I think one of the best parts of the interview is the fact that the journalist is inviting us to explore the dynamic between the two. She definitely seemed defensive and angry in some parts, but she also seemed emotional and inviting. I really like that they actually develop some kind of relationship that they sort of "discuss".

This, I feel, crumbles the general picture that she is cold hearted. Selfish yes, but not hard.

I wish more interviewers were less scared of M. I was listening to Mark Kermode's review of W.E. on radio 5 and he was absolutely scathing about it, but all his points were totally justifiable and his problem was not with M as a person like it is with so many critics, and I was just thinking "what if she was there to answer these criticisms" because she's an intelligent woman, I honestly believe it could have been a fascinating discussion. I am so sick of the interviews over the last decade by sycophants and people scared to ask questions about her age, and her children, and her music, and her surgery, and all that. I want someone with balls and a brain like this interviewer to really recognise her for what she is.

I wish more interviewers were less scared of M. I was listening to Mark Kermode's review of W.E. on radio 5 and he was absolutely scathing about it, but all his points were totally justifiable and his problem was not with M as a person like it is with so many critics, and I was just thinking "what if she was there to answer these criticisms" because she's an intelligent woman, I honestly believe it could have been a fascinating discussion. I am so sick of the interviews over the last decade by sycophants and people scared to ask questions about her age, and her children, and her music, and her surgery, and all that. I want someone with balls and a brain like this interviewer to really recognise her for what she is.

But how is that different from interviews of any other musical artist? All the interviews I read in the press are very flattering to artists. They don't delve into negative things that much. After all, these people are entertainers and making music, they're not politicians who hold the fate of the world in the hands, who you could argue there's a public interest in challenging. If anything interviewers tend to take a more negative tone with Madonna than they do other artists. I have no problem with people asking about her music and going into more depth about that, but I think it's kind of rude and disrespectful to go into personal things like her children or surgery. She has talked about getting older and the perceptions people have about older people lots of times.

I don't think it's that they're scared of Madonna personally, it's that a lot of media have kind of decided that they're not going to be confrontational with celebrities in general. They figure their audience doesn't want that but wants a pleasant nice interview. When was the last time you read a probing confrontational interview with any celebrity? Usually it's a PR thing where both sides make nice to promote a product.

^ Right, and these interviewers likely have to kiss Liz's ass to get an interview. So if they don't follow the rules, they'll be blacklisted in the future. Also, it's Madonna. We all say we'd ask her these things, but when the time came, I'm sure we'd stick to tell her how awesome she is.

^ Right, and these interviewers likely have to kiss Liz's ass to get an interview. So if they don't follow the rules, they'll be blacklisted in the future. Also, it's Madonna. We all say we'd ask her these things, but when the time came, I'm sure we'd stick to tell her how awesome she is.

Yeah, and while you would have to be careful, I think M doesn't like being asked boring questions, she relishes being put on the spot and being able to argue her case (but not being put down or humiliated, there is a difference) because she does have a lot of strong opinions and why she does what she does is, in a lot of cases, strongly politically (and I use the word loosely) motivated. The fact that she doesn't get to elucidate on her own reasons for dressing like she does, making music like she does, only makes it easier for the press to make her out to be (and the public to understand her as) an out of touch has been middle aged woman, when in fact it is very much in reaction to the ageism that has been consistently levelled against her for the last 23 years. And as for your point about kissing her arse, we're all deranged fans spending our time on an internet message board about her, a journalist worth their salt could hopefully be more level headed. Sorry, I sound like I'm really angry but I'm not, I just long for an interview like this again, and I recognise it's not just M, it's the state of PR at the moment. I'm just ranting now I'll stop.