I rewatched Evita...

drunkbysix

Wow, I don't know what to think now! When I first saw it I was so moved, touched by madonnas acting and I loved the script. Now I'm just not sure...maybe it's because I whored out the soundtrack D:

I think it's a bit of a snoozefest at some parts, but I still think her performance of DCFMA was brilliant! I still think she deserved her golden globe but it could have been executed better.

What do you think? Did you guys ever like the movie or?

I still love the movie, but I think certain scenes could have been better. I'm still baffled by the editing of DCFMA and I never understood cutting away from her during the 1st chorus. The scene where she passes out taking communion feels too abrupt. And I think the movie would have been fine without "The Lady's Got Potential."

Personally it's strange for I have grown distant from the movie, it's special what happens when it's so attached to the story of your own country. When it first came out I was 14 and I absolutely loved it. As I grew old I realized how inaccurate the movie is not for presenting her like a whore, which is not relevant, but for having a stand so strong against her and her politics based on false things, for example: it hints that Peron was a dictator, well, he came to be president only by fair elections THREE times; during The Money Kept Rolling In the core of the song is the matter that most peronists stole money given to the fundation when the coup that overthrew Peron in 1955 had to admit years later they weren't able to find a single cent missing from the accontancy of the Foundation Eva Peron, and so on hundreds of examples. As I grew up I learned more and more about this and I simply can't help but seeing how false the premise of the movie is. I love it cinematically, the music is awesome, but the script is terrible and unfair. I read that Rice and Webber read only one bio of Eva before they wrote the musical, and it's known to be the first Eva Peron bio in english wrote by a detractor in the late fifties which was later proven to bear false accusations. So it's personally hard to separate things but here's my two cents on my Evita considerations during my life as an argentinian.

For years I've kept a local newspaper that had an interview with Madonna after the filming ended and I recall her saying "after reading much more about her I think the musical is unfair with the figure of Eva", I have come to think the same.

Personally it's strange for I have grown distant from the movie, it's special what happens when it's so attached to the story of your own country. When it first came out I was 14 and I absolutely loved it. As I grew old I realized how inaccurate the movie is not for presenting her like a whore, which is not relevant, but for having a stand so strong against her and her politics based on false things, for example: it hints that Peron was a dictator, well, he came to be president only by fair elections THREE times; during The Money Kept Rolling In the core of the song is the matter that most peronists stole money given to the fundation when the coup that overthrew Peron in 1955 had to admit years later they weren't able to find a single cent missing from the accontancy of the Foundation Eva Peron, and so on hundreds of examples. As I grew up I learned more and more about this and I simply can't help but seeing how false the premise of the movie is. I love it cinematically, the music is awesome, but the script is terrible and unfair. I read that Rice and Webber read only one bio of Eva before they wrote the musical, and it's known to be the first Eva Peron bio in english wrote by a detractor in the late fifties which was later proven to bear false accusations. So it's personally hard to separate things but here's my two cents on my Evita considerations during my life as an argentinian.

For years I've kept a local newspaper that had an interview with Madonna after the filming ended and I recall her saying "after reading much more about her I think the musical is unfair with the figure of Eva", I have come to think the same.

Yes you are correct as always, it seemed M was in too deep to change the script. She didnt like the fact that Peron was at her bedside in the latter half of the film (after you must love me) when during filming she was disgusted to find out that he didnt really go near Eva. He didnt like the smell of the cancer. She also found out about the money too and really how much more caring Eva was.

Its a great movie, beautiful, angelic but im pretty sure if M remade it W.E stylie, it would be more of an honest account of the Perons.

The movie had its moments, and it had some style.

Madonna did well in it, but, overall, the first half is more effective. It begins to turn into a lengthy music video in the second half, with a series of images dominating the proceedings (rather than the characters acting out the scenes). And then when Eva becomes ill, it again becomes effective.

But the fans in Argentina seem to go crazy when she sings DCFMA when she performs there...

It definitely touches a chord in us, I mean, how often Madonna sings a song with the name of your country in the title (let alone my city, or even my STREET! I live in Corrientes Avenue!!). I guess there's a bit of a frivolousness only cause she mentions it. But I think it also represents some sort of bond she established with our culture, she lived here three months and they were the beginning of a heavy change in her life. When she uncovered her back here in Buenos Aires during the MDNA the tattoo said EVA and I started to cry instantly, it all kinda came full circle. The bitch sure got to me.

M is BRILLIANT in it. It really gets on my nerves when people try 2 down play her performance. The music is not for me.

Alan Parker overdid it with the collage editing. I can't sit through it..start 2 finish.

Yes you are correct as always, it seemed M was in too deep to change the script. She didnt like the fact that Peron was at her bedside in the latter half of the film (after you must love me) when during filming she was disgusted to find out that he didnt really go near Eva. He didnt like the smell of the cancer. She also found out about the money too and really how much more caring Eva was.

Its a great movie, beautiful, angelic but im pretty sure if M remade it W.E stylie, it would be more of an honest account of the Perons.

fab3cf8a2f4c78bfcc7d6e9e5dc1446b.png

And I agree, in the end she wishes she would have told it W.E. style. Though if it wasn't a musical probably she wouldn't have acted good in it. There is an argentine movie called "Eva Peron" which is (obviously spoken and) more accurate historically, couldn't find any scene subtitled but here's what they say Eva was like when she got angry, she certainly didn't sing

The movie was good and Madonna acted surprisingly very well, but I don't like most musicals or watching theatre. I have to admit that I really did like the soundtrack, so I rather listen to most of the music on the album than watch the film.

I haven't seen it in a while (many years since the last time) recently I saw it, just after I saw The Miserables, and puting historical things aside, I think Madonna performance and the movie were great, many times better than the Miserables, and it didn't even got half of the recognition the last one have.

I think Madonna deserved not only the Golden Globe but the Oscar and many other awards.

It definitely touches a chord in us, I mean, how often Madonna sings a song with the name of your country in the title (let alone my city, or even my STREET! I live in Corrientes Avenue!!). I guess there's a bit of a frivolousness only cause she mentions it. But I think it also represents some sort of bond she established with our culture, she lived here three months and they were the beginning of a heavy change in her life. When she uncovered her back here in Buenos Aires during the MDNA the tattoo said EVA and I started to cry instantly, it all kinda came full circle. The bitch sure got to me.
I haven't seen it in a while (many years since the last time) recently I saw it, just after I saw The Miserables, and puting historical things aside, I think Madonna performance and the movie were great, many times better than the Miserables, and it didn't even got half of the recognition the last one have. I think Madonna deserved not only the Golden Globe but the Oscar and many other awards.

Unruhe, it is so interesting to read your views on Evita. Also, loved hearing about your reaction at the MDNA concert. It sounded like such a moving, emotional moment for you.

Magom, could not agree with you more. I think a lot of people just don't get how great Madonna was in Evita. I suppose it is because they already see her as a music star and see her performance as being easy when in fact if any other respected actress had taken that role, they probably would have the oscar for it.

Guest Rachelle of London

I have never watched it all the way through, I kept falling asleep! hahaha! for me personally I am not a fan of musicals like that but now I'm older I should give it another crack!

I like the songs though!

I watched it again recently and I loved it but there are some long, drawn out scenes (all of which M is NOT in). As for the innacurracies, I can understand how that can annoy a viewer who takes that in into acocunt but otherwise, at the end of the day, it is a movie. If you take it for what it is, it is a fantastic movie and the acting is great all around. M is a star in Evita. I also agree that she would probably have been way more accurate if it was her film. Anyway, some things cannot be changed. I still love it overall.

Well, it was based on the musical so what would you expect? Its clearly not a historical document movie.

Its an interpretation of EVITA, the Webber/Rice musical.

Well, it was based on the musical so what would you expect? Its clearly not a historical document movie.

Its an interpretation of EVITA, the Webber/Rice musical.

I absolutely understand that! But what I say is it's difficult for me to separate that since Eva is a character I have lived with the whole life.

Guest Pud Whacker

Wow, I don't know what to think now! When I first saw it I was so moved, touched by madonnas acting and I loved the script. Now I'm just not sure...maybe it's because I whored out the soundtrack D:

I think it's a bit of a snoozefest at some parts, but I still think her performance of DCFMA was brilliant! I still think she deserved her golden globe but it could have been executed better.

well, were the exact opposite. i thought it was nothing when it was released. barbra ciccone. now i believe it to be fabulous. what should have followed DSS.

Madonna was the first before Les Mis movie to actually sing live when filming. Her live performance for the lament scene is stunning and emotionally effective. That scene alone won her praise.

She and Jonathan Price also sang live for "Your Little Body's Slowly Breaking Down" (her also did for "She's a Diamond"- and I think she did for some of "Eva's Final Broadcast"- at least the intro section that reprises "The Actress Hasn't Learned the Lines...).

When I first saw the movie in the theater, I remember being very moved by Madonna's performance in those live scenes. When Siskel & Ebert did their "Memo to the Academy" show, they had Madonna pegged as a likely Oscar nominee.

IMO, Madonna lacked her pizazz in the early Eva-sleeping-her-way-to-the-top scenes (way too serious to really let go and have fun with it). On the other hand, she sang beautifully, and she was quite effective in the final scenes when her body starts falling apart. But really, Madonna's just not a natural actress, though she was quite good in Susan and the otherwise crappy Dangerous Game.

the movie is so-so...it really goes downhill when madonna is not present....i must say i love her more in then ironc/light/fun moments then in the most dramatic ones...

overall she gave her heart and passion delivering a great performance!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bluejean

I really enjoyed this movie and her performance but I don't think she could have pulled it off as a spoken role. I do feel moved by the final scenes in the movie but even then I think she's dropping in and out of character. There's a certain self consciousness going on there. The balcony scenes, A New Argentina and all that are a great performance though. Also, I LOVE her vocals on the soundtrack. Utterly superb. Love the songs too, I had never heard them prior to Madonna doing it. I think there's something grand about the movie as a whole for Madonna fans, the whole Hollywood glamour thing. It's a very stylish movie with all the costumes etc. I have never owned a copy but I think I need to buy it and watch it again as its been quite afew years.

I remember the first time watching this movie and I couldn't wait to see her die 'cos I wasn't aware it's 2 hours + long and I need to go to the loo so badly.