Madonna - the 80's

lasky

I've been watching this too. I love and miss the 80's sooooo much! I thought the segment about Madonna was impressive. It was farily long, and they gave her the respect and appreciation she deserves. I love to see her recognized for her accomplishments, as opposed to the usual "has-been" shit people love to talk about now. She doesn't usually get acknowledged as the legend she really is. I'm sure that's because she's still so active in the business.

Yes, it's Rob Lowe and it's on the National Geographic channel. I think last night was the final night of the miniseries, but I'm sure it'll be running in repeats for ages.

wow

i never knew they wanted her to do lucky star for the vma's and she insisted on like a virgin

all that footage and commentary really showcases how in control, different, and unique madonna was right from the get go

something many tend to downplay nowadays in an effort to underestimate her influence

it's also interesting that no other female singer was able to create such a worldwide frenzy before or ever since

wow

it's also interesting that no other female singer was able to create such a worldwide frenzy before or ever since

I know! ;-)

I wonder what was going through Rob's mind as he was doing the voiceover. He and Madonna were said to be an item for a short time. In one M biography, she supposedly taunted Warren Beatty at a club when he refused to dance, "I should've come here with Rob Lowe; there's a guy who knows how to party hearty."

I love the shot of what looks like her in the Danceteria nightclub. I was only a kid at the time, but I love the fact that she spent the early eighties hanging around club kids, drag queens, gays, break dancers, punks, and new wavers!

The only thing I don't like about these kind of features is how they charge everything in retrospect with a certain intention.

Sometimes all things just come together at the right moment in time.

The only thing I don't like about these kind of features is how they charge everything in retrospect with a certain intention.

I know!!!

I hope that a lot of people get to see this. I know most people know of Madonna as a superstar but I often wonder if younger people really know just how incredibly popular, famous and copied she was during the 80's. It really amazes me when it has been suggested that other female pop stars are more famous than Madonna was even at her peak. I mean, they have to either be stupid, brain-washed or ignorant to think any other pop girl has remotely matched the kind of hysteria that accompanied Madonna. No one comes even remotely close and I doubt any of them will last for 30 years either. I am not being biased when I say that Madonna is easily the most famous female music star of all time.

No one comes even remotely close and I doubt any of them will last for 30 years either. I am not being biased when I say that Madonna is easily the most famous female music star of all time.

You're not being biased...just plain truthful...not only most famous but most successful as well...plus her discography is inmense...

NO COMPARISONS ALLOWED HERE

That video = THAT IS WHY

there's no one else bitches

and the Like a Virgin live version in BAT...I dare any other female pop star to do that on stage...lol...

I watched the whole mini-series. HAD NO CLUE they were going to have a whole (and quite lengthy) segment on our legend. SHE WAS THE ONLY Music ICON they mentioned (Micheael wasn't mentioned ONCE in the entire mini-series). I LOVED this show, they talked about everything from politics, economics, television, fashion, and MADONNA. AMAZING AMAZING SHOW. Well done National Geographic :)

I watched the whole mini-series. HAD NO CLUE they were going to have a whole (and quite lengthy) segment on our legend. SHE WAS THE ONLY Music ICON they mentioned (Micheael wasn't mentioned ONCE in the entire mini-series). I LOVED this show, they talked about everything from politics, economics, television, fashion, and MADONNA. AMAZING AMAZING SHOW. Well done National Geographic :)

Damn. I am not an MJ fan but even I can say not giving a mention to him in a show about the 80s is a sin.

But yes the Madonna bit was cool to watch. She changed everything when it comes to women in music, and blew her own door wide open.

Everyone else after her simply walked through that door, and usually tripped and fell flat on their faces soon after. :s98: