Pharrell Wonders Why Daft Punk Didn't Produce M's Last Album

Pressston

Guest bluejean

Well maybe because that happened after they met at the Hard Candy launch? Makes sense.

Because he is talking about how collaborating with them originally came about. I don't imagine Pharrell was at the MDNA launch party, more likely Hard Candy.

Guest bluejean

And "Madonnas last album" could very well mean Hard Candy because MDNA could be considered her current album and Hard Candy her last album.

Anyway, bottom line is she's not collaborating with them. Which is such a pity. Maybe they didn't want to collaborate with her because they feel someone that big would overshadow them? Notice their choice of collaborators never includes pop stars. Pharrell is super famous but more for his producing.

But they did do stuff for Kylie supposedly and it was never released. Who knows why.

Oh that Get Lucky snippet is so good. Fantastic seeing Nile Rodgers strumming along happily in the background, and pharell is looking very good for 40. If only Daft Punk did ask Madonna to come along and sing one of their productions. It would be heaven.

Madonna and Daft Punk would be nice. But I still think that rumored Madonna and Franz Ferdinand collab should have happened! Madonna's done pretty much every genre of music there is except full on rock. She and Franz would be ultra-glam dance rock heaven!

Guest bluejean

Indeed it is.

As much as I love Madonna I am not sure I'd want her on this track. She seems to be on a different path musically now. But then who knows where she'll go by the time she does a new album.

For me, it's obvious that they're talking about MDNA. Why would Pharrell ask them why they hadn't produced the album that he had worked on? It would almost be like him saying, "Hey, why didn't you guys produce this? I did such a horrible job of it!" That doesn't make sense.

Basically, Pharrell asked them why they didn't work on MDNA. Daft Punk said, "Well, we're working on something [ourselves]" (i.e. they weren't available to work with Madonna). Pharrell gets excited and tells them to let him know if they want to do anything with him. He gets a call from them later in 2012, they work together, and then in April 2013, the album that they've been working on for ages sees its international premiere in a tiny Australian town that next to no one has heard of :)

In any case, a quick search reveals that Daft Punk started work on their new album in 2010, which means that they wouldn't have been saying in early 2008 that they were "working on something" back then. This also helps to explain the reason they gave for not being involved with Madonna ("we're working on something"....which they were in 2011, when Madonna was working on MDNA, given the 2010 starting date for their own album).

Guest bluejean

Why would Pharrell ask them why they hadn't produced the album that he had worked on? It would almost be like him saying, "Hey, why didn't you guys produce this? I did such a horrible job of it!" That doesn't make sense.

Because he was being quirky? And let's face it, Daft Punk are exceptional and no doubt Pharrell is in awe of them. Like it says he actually said "I'll play the triangle, anything" on their new album. Once again, being quirky but clearly a great admirer of their work and putting them on a pedestal above himself. It's a way of paying someone the ultimate compliment and it makes sense to me. Or maybe he meant they should have done the Timbaland tracks :chuckle:

Also, as someone pointed out he collaborated with them before MDNA in 2010. So to me it makes sense that it was at a party for Hard Candy. But really, we can only speculate.

Daft Punk weren't "working on something" five to six years ago, though, that would have prevented them from working with Madonna. The HC theory is full of holes, whereas the MDNA theory makes perfect sense. Just my interpretation, though.

Guest bluejean

Not really. But they did a song with Kylie Minogue that never got released. I think it may have been for their album though.

Guest bluejean

Not really. But they did a song with Kylie Minogue that never got released. I think it may have been for their album though.

Maybe the reason Madonna hasn't worked with them is their charging price. Mirwais and Stuart Price would have been much cheaper alternatives.

I'd bet anything that Justin, Timbaland and Pharrell cost far more than Daft Punk would.

I agree.

And as i already wrote, yes they produce some songs only. Or work separately (for example Thomas composed movie scores).

5-6 years ago they were working on the Tron Legacy Soundtrack. They have been constantly working, so this conversation could have happened during both release parties, HC and MDNA.

It's all speculation anyway and we will never know if they ever talked (M and Daft Punk) about working together. It would have been great 13 years ago, now I'm not sure anymore. I love them. but Mirwais had a similar sound, so M has basically been there...

Guest bluejean

Well the only other possibilities are that a) Madonna didn't want to work with Daft Punk (unlikely) b) Daft Punk didn't want to work with Madonna (a possibility) c) Their schedules always conflicted (a possibility.) I really cannot imagine Madonna never thought of working with them.

I really cannot imagine Madonna never thought of working with them.

She said in an interview during the ROL era that she was into them (the interviewer from MTV asked her what music she'd been listening to lately).

Lol really?! Mirwais' "sound" is nothing like DP other than the fact they both contain electronic elements. His style is as distinct and unique as theirs is, so you best step off chile...

Lol really?! Mirwais' "sound" is nothing like DP other than the fact they both contain electronic elements. His style is as distinct and unique as theirs is, so you best step off chile...

They DID have a similar sound back then, there's no denying. Hard Beats on Da Funk, production on Music Sounds Better With U...could have also been done by Mirwais. Sit down!