Pharrell Wonders Why Daft Punk Didn't Produce M's Last Album

Pressston

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-daft-punk-reveal-secrets-of-new-album-20130413

Pharrell, Julian Casablancas, Giorgio Moroder, and Animal Collective’s Panda Bear are among the guest vocalists. "We were at a party for Madonna’s last album," Pharrell recalls, "and I was like, You guys should have produced this! Why did that not happen? Madonna and the robots would have been unbelievable! They were like, We’re working on something. I said, Whatever you do, call me – I’ll play tambourine on it. They looked at each other and they were like, We’ll be in touch." Pharrell wound up singing on "Get Lucky" and a stomping disco track called "Lose Yourself to Dance."

thanks to Cuculi from Mtribe

please someone can edit the title and change the "about" into a "at" i don't find how to modify the title

Guest bluejean

I don't think this hints at a Madonna collaboration. I think he's referring to HIS collaboration with them. He's probably talking about a party for 'Hard Candy.' When he said "You guys should have produced this" he was referring to what he did with her, that they should have been involved. And this conversation sparked a collaboration between him and Daft Punk.

I agree with him too. Imagine 'Hard Candy' produced by Daft Punk. That would have been amazing.

I don't think this hints at a Madonna collaboration. I think he's referring to HIS collaboration with them. He's probably talking about a party for 'Hard Candy.' When he said "You guys should have produced this" he was referring to what he did with her, that they should have been involved. And this conversation sparked a collaboration between him and Daft Punk.

I agree with him too. Imagine 'Hard Candy' produced by Daft Punk. That would have been amazing.

I think you got it wrong, it's about her last album, it's brand new interview from a few days ago for Rolling Stone for the release of DP brand new album (i posted the link). And read carefully and you'll see that it's DP that are supposedly preparing something with M, not Pharell (who said he wanna be part of it when it happens).

Guest Rachelle of London

Yeah its about MDNA. If Daft Punk produced some tracks for MDNA it would've been unbelieveable!

Guest Not4Pussies

i think he was reffering to DP working on their own stuff and thats how Pharrell became part of DP's album

Guest Rachelle of London

Nile Rodgers has just finished working with Daft Punk on their new album, a Nile Rodgers/Daft Punk/Madonna collabo would be amazing

Isn't this rumor going on for more than 10 years now? Anyway, Madonna and Daft Punk :wow: .

Maybe she is directing a sci fi movie next and she wants them for the score. I think their work for Tron Legacy was really good. But she should read the rules of the AMPAS for Best Original Song more careful next time.

Guest bluejean

i think he was reffering to DP working on their own stuff and thats how Pharrell became part of DP's album

Exactly. It may be an MDNA party not Hard Candy. But basically what happened is:

- Pharrell and Daft Punk were both at a Madonna album launch. Pharrell suggests to Daft Punk they should have produced the album.

- Daft Punk say they ARE working on new material (for themselves, not for Madonna)

- Pharrell tells them he'd love to be involved

- They contact Pharrell and collaborate with him

That's how I read it anyway. I'd love to be wrong but I doubt it.

Exactly. It may be an MDNA party not Hard Candy. But basically what happened is:

- Pharrell and Daft Punk were both at a Madonna album launch. Pharrell suggests to Daft Punk they should have produced the album.

- Daft Punk say they ARE working on new material (for themselves, not for Madonna)

This is how you read it, and i respect this, you can be right as well. For my part i don't read it this way. As he was talking about the fact they should work with her, their answer (we're working on something) would logically be related to the question.

Both reading can be right, hope they were indeed hinting they are working on something with her.

Guest Not4Pussies

thank you. thats how i understood it too

lets not start rumors or getting our hopes up for something that isnt true.

Guest Not4Pussies

This is how you read it, and i respect this, you can be right as well. For my part i don't read it this way. As he was talking about the fact they should work with her, their answer (we're working on something) would logically be related to the question.

Both reading can be right, hope they were indeed hinting they are working on something with her.

i get what you mean, it could have been interpreted your way

and i am not trying to be mean but i think you misunderstood

because english is not your first language.

but the way blue jean described it is what pharrell was trying to say

No, I think that the way Preston is interpreting it makes sense. Pharell says DP and Madonna should have collaborated and they say "they're working on something" without specifying as to what that something is. It could be interpreted either way though.

Do I really think something will come out of this? No.

Guest Rachelle of London

No, I think that the way Preston is interpreting it makes sense. Pharell says DP and Madonna should have collaborated and they say "they're working on something" without specifying as to what that something is. It could be interpreted either way though.

Do I really think something will come out of this? No.

+1

Guest bluejean

I agree, it could be interpreted either way but considering he's hyping up/promoting HIS collaboration with them I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to. Plus, I am pretty certain if Madonna was on their album we'd have heard already. It all seems very much like wishful thinking to me.

Why she did not work with them in 2002 I cannot understand.

I could read both ways - as Daft Punk working on their own material or something with Madonna, however since this conversation likely happened during MDNA's launch, it would seem unlikely Madonna was already starting a new musical collaboration right when she was gearing up for a new tour. Not impossible, but not likely given her typical method. Maybe it was supposed to be for something else like a side project or something?

They were talking about THEIR own stuff and that Pharrel should work with them, not that they should/would work with her! 100% final answer, no other possible interepretations!!! I'm sorry, believe me, because I'd LOVE for them to work together. Hopefully in the future, but don't count on it!

THATS exactly how I read it too. AND ITS correct. Kinda obvious. Sorry for the numbskulls who misinterpreted a rather easy conversation. lol

Imagine Daft Punk were producing songs for MDNA instead of Martin Solveig. :queenbitch:

it would have flopped even harder and everyone on this message board would have said "Madonna should have worked with a dance producer more current...like Martin solveig" Its just how us Madonna fans are. Never happy...always wanting something different than what we get.

oh i'm sorry i think i've mixed everything up, as not4pussyes said english is not my first language and i think i got it all wrong. I think they were at the Hard Candy listening party, Pharell talked with DP (i don't know why they were there lol) and they told him they were working on a new album, then he asked them to be part of it and that's when they decided to work with him, and that's why now he is one of the producers of their new album.

Yes i think you are right, i get it now.

Pharrell didn't produce on Daft Punk's album, he only provided vocals for two songs, that's all :)/> Nile Rodgers plays guitar on the album, also not producing...

First single "Get Lucky" might get released in full today...

What I don't get about this story: it sounds as if they've never worked together before but they did. Daft Punk produced the fabulous N.E.R.D song 'Hypnotize U' which got released as a single in 2010.