Madonna is in Malawi

lori

Mrs. Banda, the President claims that her staff put out the statement criticizing Madonna without her knowledge or her knowing what it said. She must not be a very competent leader if she doesn't pay attention to what her staff is doing in her name. But she still refuses to apologize to Madonna and still claims Madonna is exagerrating her contributions to Malawi. Mrs. Banda seems hung up on the difference between schools and classrooms. She claims Madonna promised to build schools, but only built classrooms. That to me seems to be a distinction without a difference. Who cares as long as more kids are given a chance to be educated.

So in other words she didn't hire teachers and staff and create "schools" but she helped build them the actual school buildings so they would have a place to go to educate? So a school can be defined as a staff and the students and it can be defined as a building. Did they have a full staff for all the children that are attending school in the classrooms? I have never heard anything like this.

Wasn't she also informed that several classrooms across a wider area would be more beneficial?

Edited by Larkspur

I have never seen a so-called president displaying such incompetence ! Please, a statement from the The white house can cause war! U don't have a president' s press secretary claiming the president declaring a war n later when the situation is to their disadvantage, the president comes out to deny the statement. Only a country like Malawi, without law n structure, could do that .. ..only that proves there is something seriously wrong with their political system.

Daily mail got an update saying that Joyce banda denying the statement saying her office released it without her knowing or agreeing. The comments are even very supportive of Madonna!

BBC are also reporting this now.

After how many people heard the original ramblings about the vip treatment and the red carpet and can't be bothered to find out if it was mistake? Where have I heard a storm in a teacup before? Spreading all kinds of insults and nonsense and then backpedaling. IF President Banda did not say those things then no she doesn't have to apologise for herself but she could at least say I am sorry that someone from my office or anyone spread this nonsense about you. Just sorry for the situation. All she gets is someone who happens to be a leader of a country saying "I didn't say that." Just so disrespectful simply from one person to another.

If someone sent out accusations in my name towards anyone and I didn't make them I would be so apologetic simply that it happened and would find out who is using my name.

Edited by Larkspur

I have never seen a so-called president displaying such incompetence ! Please, a statement from the The white house can cause war! U don't have a president' s press secretary claiming the president declaring a war n later when the situation is to their disadvantage, the president comes out to deny the statement. Only a country like Malawi, without law n structure, could do that .. ..only that proves there is something seriously wrong with their political system.

:rotfl:

I just...can't. :lmao:

Madonna simply owns this world. There isn't anyone more criticized than Madonna in gossip media history. It's amazing what this woman went through without a single meltdown. All this shit happening with the Malawi government makes me admire this woman even more. She is a super human.

So true Nessie. She seems to be able to rise above the constant barrage of unfair criticism with absolute class.

Pfft we all know PRESIDENT BANDA dresses up in her cone bra and dances around the mirror to EXPRESS YOURSELF

I mean we all do it

It's too easy to make Madonna the scapegoat for the Malawi debacle

MADONNAMALAWI-010.jpg

You'd need a lot more space than this to examine fully Madonna's dealings with Malawi, the African country where she adopted her children, David and Mercy. It was also where she intended to build an academy for girls, which never happened (though Madonna still helped build classrooms), all against a backdrop of missing millions, for which Madonna's side blamed the sacked prospective academy headmistress (also the Malawian president's sister), while there has been an ongoing investigation into the role of the Kabbalah Centre in New York … and (phew) see what I mean?

Last week, the theme of Madonna and Malawi produced astonishing (and frequently hilarious) levels of mayhem, which went something like this: Madonna takes her brood to Malawi, then asks for an audience with President Joyce Banda, which doesn't happen. Returning to the airport, Madonna and her entourage are stripped of VIP status, which they are fine/furious about (delete as appropriate).

Later, an extraordinary epistle, which deserves to be read in its entirety, emerges from Banda's office, accusing Madonna of, among other things, exaggerating her charitable endeavours and "blackmailing" Malawi by demanding gratitude and star treatment. This behaviour was to be contrasted, ran the statement, with that of "many international stars, including Chuck Norris, Bono, David James, Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville … [who are] of equally dazzling stature". (Ah'm saying nuttin'!)

Later, President Banda was reported to have not known about or approved the statement. It barely mattered, because the entire debacle confirmed the enduring rule of Celebrity Charity Maths. As in: celebrity plus altruistic yearnings (but minus groundwork and common sense) equals a world of pain, all thoroughly deserved by said celebrity, especially if she's a narcissistic bint such as Madonna. However, love her, hate her or, indeed, prefer to ignore her, is this entirely fair on Madonna?

No one supports the notion of celebrities barging into poor countries and expecting to be worshipped like visiting deities. But did this actually happen? Likewise, time will tell where the missing millions went, but does anyone truly believe that Madonna, a veteran of decades of intense media scrutiny, has personally lied, bullied or acted against the interests of impoverished Malawian children?

"Disappeared" charity donations are a sad fact of life all over the globe, so it seems telling that when Madonna is involved, it automatically becomes Madonna's fault. Telling and absurd. From where I'm sitting, Madonna made a commitment to Malawi, and appears to be struggling to keep it, against unforeseen and insurmountable odds. Her "crime" appears to be naivety, not bullying.

What happened in Malawi seems to say far less about Madonna and more about our increasingly irrational hatred for "do-gooding" celebrities per se. In many ways, I agree. I'm all for a healthy dose of scepticism where self-aggrandising mercy missions are concerned. If the rich and famous want to swan around Africa, they should book a safari.

However, are the constant attacks on do-gooding celebs in danger of becoming unreasonable? We see the likes of Madonna in dusty cargo pants and immediately go on the attack. Do people want celebrities to stop doing charity work, because I don't? On the contrary, I could name many (many) celebrities who I'd love to see forced into doing charity work and "giving back", as a penance for being smug, over-rewarded, self-obsessed wastes of space.

More seriously, it's becoming a problem that any time famous people try to help, and behave decently, they are automatically branded as self-serving show offs, whose every effort should be undermined and denigrated, simply because they are celebrities. Sure, this particular situation in Malawi looks to be a mess, but I'd wager it has far more complexities than mere celebrity presence, even one as powerful as Madonna's. Sometimes it's too just too easy to blame the rich western megastar.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/14/dont-make-madonna-malawi-scapegoat

it's all messed up. on the one hand people say celebs should give more attention to things that aren't self serving, and adoption is probably the least self serving thing you can do. so is building schools and helping people all over the world. but then the reaction is that they do it for self serving purposes... so they'd rather see that people DONT get helped and just starve to death? one critic wrote a sarcastic rant saying she should ONLY help people in the US (!), because the US is what made her big. so basically, only help americans and screw everyone else? especially malawi, who has such few few donors as it is. (and im sure that if roles were reversed and she was more known to help the US opposed to third world countries, she'd get criticised for that as well) no matter what she's doing, it'll always get criticism. so it cannot be self serving especially in her case. she already knew that since she first adopted david. that's why it's good how she says she will continue to help malawians, no matter what..

also, she only allowed one french guy from AP to take some photos. opposed to angelina jolie who shows up with hundreds of them and never gets questioned about it :mellow: