I'm thinking about buying Celebration....

frzndrwnwrld

The 2 disc version is on Amazon for $12, which is a good deal, but I have a question:

Did they fix all the errors or is it still a glitchy mess?

By the way, the main reason I'm considering getting this is for "Into The Groove." I've been listening to it on repeat lately and would love to have the original version.

I wish "Like A Prayer" and "You Can Dance" were remastered. I would pick those up as well.

The cover is gorgeous, and the booklet is lovely too. AND it comes with a poster! You should have bought it back when it was released.

Guest Rachelle of London

you can buy it here for £3 hahahahaha oh M!

I liked Celebration, its good to have in the car!

You should have bought it back when it was released.

Remember the review entitled "Celebration: A Retardation?" Yeah, that's why I didn't buy it. But I did buy the import single. :)

What glitches? :ohmy:

http://requiem4adream.wordpress.com/2009/09/19/celebration-a-retardation/

MUSIC - MASTERING ERROR: multiple digital pops and clicks that are not part of the original recording can be heard throughout this song.

DIE ANOTHER DAY - MASTERING ERROR: Track fades up late due to the incorrectly placed track index on the American Life album. This is ridiculous. The unaffected album version appears on both the US Promo CD single and the Die Another Day film soundtrack, all Warner Bros. releases.

HOLLYWOOD - MASTERING ERROR: Track starts abruptly and end of “American Life”‘s fade out is audible.

EVERYBODY – FAKE EDIT

This uses the full length, original 12″ version as its starting point (as did the official 7″ single version), but is structured differently. While the overall idea for this edit wasn’t horrendous, whoever was placed in charge of actually executing the edits needs to be tortured. Slowly… painfully.

DRESS YOU UP – FUCKED UP INTRO

What the hell happened here? This isn’t a mix variation so much as a mastering error… the album version started late with severe tape pinch/phasing issues right at the top. Of the four beats on the intro, all but the fourth are missing.

EXPRESS YOURSELF – FAKE FUCKING FUCK.

The most offensive. In a failed attempt to kindofsortof recreate the video version, they have taken the complete intro straight off of the Local Mix, “zipper” included. The actual, official video version starts at the percussion and is specially mixed to have echo on the line “Do you believe in love…” which is dry on the Local Mix and therefore not present here. This new monstrosity then incorrectly cuts to the 7″ Remix/Edit version and then again where they have BUTCHERED the song right at the bridge. A bad edit jumps the track from the end of the chorus to the repeat of the bridge which kills the structure of the track. This version is unlistenable.

CHERISH – FAKE EDIT

The original album version cut to the length of the super-short Immaculate Collection version. AMATEUR doesn’t begin to describe how bad these edits have been executed. Poor edits result in creating entirely new lyrics! How about this chestnut… “Can’t get away, I won’t let to” ?! They render all prior complaints about bad edits on Madonna’s releases void. Again, unlistenable. In the cases of “Express Yourself” and “Cherish,” why not just use the fucking Q Sound remixes?! They’re the exact same length as the fake edits and it’s not like there aren’t 6 others from that release present here.

EROTICA – FAKE Radio Edit

The edit points are around the same places as the OFFICIAL radio edit, but are poorly executed. The worst is around 3:30… they cut a beat late making for one of the sloppiest moments on this royalfuckupofacompilation. I don’t understand why this needed to be recreated as the official edit appears on countless singles and 2001′s GHV2 compilation. Oh. And the “surface noise” on the end of “Erotica” overlaps the beginning of “Justify My Love”.

DON’T TELL ME – FAKE Radio Edit

The least offensive/noticeable fake edit, but incorrect nonetheless. The true radio edit was a unique mix for the very last second that does not feature the “whimsical strings” tag. For Celebration, they have chopped off the end, but the first millisecond of this tag is audible.

Always form your own opinion. A lot of those complaints arn't that noticeable to me. Music, Dress You Up, and Erotca are the biggest butchers on that compilation. You can add Justify My Love too since it's pretty distorted.

But they did fix the errors as people have mentioned in the past. I don't know if they included the full mastered version of Revolver. But it makes a good collectors item.

I still bought it because I'm a Madonna fan.

eeek. I had no idea. I only bought the DVD anyway.

I have the dvd... it was the first thing I ever bought of M's (I felt she finally deserved some of my money), the quality is patchy, the censoring is just silly and it is only missing six fucking videos (Everybody, NRM, Oh Father, Bad Girl, Fever, DW/SFL) which could have been put on because at this quality they can't be using all the dvd space. Again, like everything else about the project it is just sloppy... but it's nice to have most of the videos all in one place and the upscaling on my bluray player makes it bearable.

http://requiem4adrea...-a-retardation/

MUSIC - MASTERING ERROR: multiple digital pops and clicks that are not part of the original recording can be heard throughout this song.

DIE ANOTHER DAY - MASTERING ERROR: Track fades up late due to the incorrectly placed track index on the American Life album. This is ridiculous. The unaffected album version appears on both the US Promo CD single and the Die Another Day film soundtrack, all Warner Bros. releases.

HOLLYWOOD - MASTERING ERROR: Track starts abruptly and end of “American Life”‘s fade out is audible.

EVERYBODY – FAKE EDIT

This uses the full length, original 12″ version as its starting point (as did the official 7″ single version), but is structured differently. While the overall idea for this edit wasn’t horrendous, whoever was placed in charge of actually executing the edits needs to be tortured. Slowly… painfully.

What the hell happened here? This isn’t a mix variation so much as a mastering error… the album version started late with severe tape pinch/phasing issues right at the top. Of the four beats on the intro, all but the fourth are missing.

The most offensive. In a failed attempt to kindofsortof recreate the video version, they have taken the complete intro straight off of the Local Mix, “zipper” included. The actual, official video version starts at the percussion and is specially mixed to have echo on the line “Do you believe in love…” which is dry on the Local Mix and therefore not present here. This new monstrosity then incorrectly cuts to the 7″ Remix/Edit version and then again where they have BUTCHERED the song right at the bridge. A bad edit jumps the track from the end of the chorus to the repeat of the bridge which kills the structure of the track. This version is unlistenable.

CHERISH – FAKE EDIT

The original album version cut to the length of the super-short Immaculate Collection version. AMATEUR doesn’t begin to describe how bad these edits have been executed. Poor edits result in creating entirely new lyrics! How about this chestnut… “Can’t get away, I won’t let to” ?! They render all prior complaints about bad edits on Madonna’s releases void. Again, unlistenable. In the cases of “Express Yourself” and “Cherish,” why not just use the fucking Q Sound remixes?! They’re the exact same length as the fake edits and it’s not like there aren’t 6 others from that release present here.

The edit points are around the same places as the OFFICIAL radio edit, but are poorly executed. The worst is around 3:30… they cut a beat late making for one of the sloppiest moments on this royalfuckupofacompilation. I don’t understand why this needed to be recreated as the official edit appears on countless singles and 2001′s GHV2 compilation. Oh. And the “surface noise” on the end of “Erotica” overlaps the beginning of “Justify My Love”.

The least offensive/noticeable fake edit, but incorrect nonetheless. The true radio edit was a unique mix for the very last second that does not feature the “whimsical strings” tag. For Celebration, they have chopped off the end, but the first millisecond of this tag is audible.

This person needed to calm the fuck down. :lol:

I just wish ALL the songs were edited. If I wanted the album versions, I would listen to the actual albums. :lmao:/>

I have the dvd... it was the first thing I ever bought of M's (I felt she finally deserved some of my money), the quality is patchy, the censoring is just silly and it is only missing six fucking videos (Everybody, NRM, Oh Father, Bad Girl, Fever, DW/SFL) which could have been put on because at this quality they can't be using all the dvd space. Again, like everything else about the project it is just sloppy... but it's nice to have most of the videos all in one place and the upscaling on my bluray player makes it bearable.

Yeah, I stayed away from the video collection when I heard about the quality. Why did they use single layer DVDs?!

This person needed to calm the fuck down. :lol:

Yeah. He was very intense with his hatred for this release, but I can understand. Considering who Madonna is and the massive amount of hits she has, she deserved a proper hits collection and that's not what Celebration is. I do like how technical he is with the review though. A lot of songs were butchered for no reason. Radio edits exist and could have been used instead.

I recently gave in & purchased it off of Amazon for $8.00. I don't like how the songs were listed chronically, but the CD booklet is very cool. It should have been put together with much more thought, but it's still good. Most fans will most likely like it if they can overlook some glitches.

http://requiem4adrea...-a-retardation/

EVERYBODY – FAKE EDIT

CHERISH – FAKE EDIT

these fogy losers. :lmao:

Celebration is fabulous!

Celebration-madonna-14781671-464-320.gif

Am I the only one who can't really identify those so-called-errors? :confused:

As I mentioned, the most notable (to me) are Erotica, Music, and Dress You Up. All the others, I don't know what eff they are talking about.

Yeah. He was very intense with his hatred for this release, but I can understand. Considering who Madonna is and the massive amount of hits she has, she deserved a proper hits collection and that's not what Celebration is. I do like how technical he is with the review though. A lot of songs were butchered for no reason. Radio edits exist and could have been used instead.

I still don't see any reason to freak out like that. All these errors are no worse than HC's freaking LOUD mastering, TFA, LAV and TB all sounding louder than LAP, some tracks louder than others on Erotica, Music and MDNA, Celebration is just a glorified budget album. But of course, compared to the likes of Kylie, MJ, Whitney, it's a well-thought greatest hits. :lol:

You wanna talk about mastering, listen to MDNA. Atrocious! And I adore MDNA! I get so angry that I have to increase the volume by 70% just to enjoy it on my headphones.

You wanna talk about mastering, listen to MDNA. Atrocious! And I adore MDNA! I get so angry that I have to increase the volume by 70% just to enjoy it on my headphones.

Das the best way to listen to the album, baby. :fag:

:rotfl: Fuck. That's pretty much word-for-word my overtired rant on here after receiving an advance copy. That thread is my 'Sex' book minus the tits, cultural significance and paycheck.

I stand by my assessments but would have worded it more carefully had I known it would get passed around the way it was.

Anyway, for all its flaws (which extend beyond the audio), Celebration is still worth owning. The artwork is pretty fantastic, the song selection is great and in addition to the new songs there's some interesting stuff on the CD's too; namely the longer orchestral tag on "Frozen" and an alternate Q-Sound remix of "Lucky Star" from the 1990 Immaculate Collection sessions.

The worst stuff are the edits of "Erotica" and "Cherish", the botched intro on "Dress You Up", the glitches throughout "Music" and "Revolver", and "Like A Prayer" plays at a slower pitch than it should.

Never sought one out myself but I remember reading that people had later found import copies with the "Erotica" and "Cherish" edits redone but no other corrections made.

Guest bluejean

Everything Mattress said is true actually. Erotica would be the worst edit though. Some of the others aren't a big deal.

I think overall they did an okay job with that release. I could complain about the tracklisting. Songs like I'll Remember and Deeper and Deeper deserve to be there over Hollywood or Miles Away. But overall they were pretty close with the tracklisting. Even if we made our own hardcore fan tracklisting we'd all never agree on everything.

Personally I'd replace Hollywood, Miles Away, Burning Up and Everybody with Deeper and Deeper, I'll Remember, You'll See and This Used To Be My Playground. Too many ballads I know but those songs were all big worldwide hits.

Guest bluejean

:rotfl:/> Fuck. That's pretty much word-for-word my overtired rant on here after receiving an advance copy.

I thought that was your rant word for word? I referred to it with a quick google search awhile ago when I made my own ammended version of Celebration for iTunes :lol: