Happy 5 years 4 Minutes

Guest gang bang

The only thing 'missing' from Hard Candy and MDNA (for me) is a hedonistic party anthem. The upbeat records really benefit from those songs. Madonna is an intellectual and creative artist. In a way that's what makes the simple, universal messages of Holiday, Vogue and Music so special. I guess we get one per decade. :D

The only thing 'missing' from Hard Candy and MDNA (for me) is a hedonistic party anthem. The upbeat records really benefit from those songs. Madonna is an intellectual and creative artist. In a way that's what makes the simple, universal messages of Holiday, Vogue and Music so special. I guess we get one per decade. :D

Two thousands was Hung Up so she doesn't have to try for another 5 years at least....

I can see why 4 Minutes was released but I don't really like the original mix, the video is terrible and single cover is just the cheapest piece of shit since they cut a picture out to make the Vogue 12" cover. But I love the album.

80's Holiday

90's Vogue

00's Music

10's Fuck knows

Hung up is an amazing song and very much loved but not what I was talking about.

That's one of the main reasons why I hate Hard Candy. At least for me, MDNA is not her best, but it blows ALL the other pop albums by other pop whores out of water. MDNA is so much better than The Lame/Monster/Flushed This Way, if only everything that happened last year happened in 2008... GMAYL, Super Bowl, GGW... EVERYTHING.

Confessions was so serious and restraint, and everything about MDNA is incredibly cheeky and carefree. Now THAT was going to be the so-called juxtaposition and coming back with a BANG. :lol:

She really dropped the ball when she decided to make Hard Candy.

The ol' Esther who couldn't say FUCK OFF on I Love NY has a song called I FUCKED UP.

Her 'I didn't know what to do next, so I've asked myself what artists do I love right now? Timbaland, Justin Timberlake and Pharrell, that's right!' excuse was just hysterical. I mean, seriously? That's the reason why MADONNA will release an album? :lmao:

I guess she was too worried about the millions her gold digger soon-to-be-ex would get from her and wanted to make money ASAP no matter what and wasn't thinking right. Who knows. :lol:

When 4 Minutes first came out, I really, really didn't like it. Confessions was my first album, so when I heard the sound of 4 Minutes, I didn't really feel it. To this day, I still have some problems with it, but it works fantastically in the context of the album, and is deservedly a hit. It's really a mammoth of a song. This song does not work live though, at least not during the Sticky & Sweet Tour. It needs more of an oomph and an overall better performance/look than it was given.

And people, seriously, MDNA and Hard Candy are two sides of the same coin. They're both amazing albums, my absolute favorites.

When 4 Minutes first came out, I really, really didn't like it. Confessions was my first album, so when I heard the sound of 4 Minutes, I didn't really feel it. To this day, I still have some problems with it, but it works fantastically in the context of the album, and is deservedly a hit. It's really a mammoth of a song. This song does not work live though, at least not during the Sticky & Sweet Tour. It needs more of an oomph and an overall better performance/look than it was given.

And people, seriously, MDNA and Hard Candy are two sides of the same coin. They're both amazing albums, my absolute favorites.

I have long felt it would have slotted in marvellously before Express Yourself as a more low key number with a triple harmony with Kiley and Nicki 2, before everything goes totally insane. It fits both the cheerleader theme and the fuck-you-gaga-I'm-still-the-queen (this is one of the highest selling singles of my career) theme.

80's Holiday

90's Vogue

00's Music

10's Fuck knows

Hung up is an amazing song and very much loved but not what I was talking about.

GU, what do you think of Celebration ? I personally love it and think of it as a great party/dance song. The only thing missing was a good video clip. I always think of it as a under-rated gem but it seems a lot of Madonna fans don't like it.

How can anyone say this song was bad for her career? It's the last real hit she's had and it carried HC to a top 10 placing as one of the best selling albums of 2008. Not to mention, the tour this album supported is the most successful of her career. Personal taste is one thing, but there is absolutely NOTHING indicative that this was detrimental to her career in any way. The "she lost fans" argument is moot. Fairweather fans come and go with every album she releases. I know people that jumped ship with ROL of all albums.

So a handful of very vocal fan forum Queens who thought she turned into Bjork or some sort of pop equivalent to an indie artist after ROL got pissed and abandoned her....and THAT is why this album was a mistake or damaging to her career?? LOL.....let's get real!

May not be considered a Madonna classic but at the time it connected well with the public. Hoping that may that happen again.

GI2M?

If you took 4M off Hard Candy it wouldn't be urban at all. The album is just quite poppy. If they'd put a remixed version on the album and remixed / edited a couple of other tracks and redone the artwork, I think the album would have been much bigger. AL and HC both suffered from production that smothered some great tracks.

GU, what do you think of Celebration ? I personally love it and think of it as a great party/dance song. The only thing missing was a good video clip. I always think of it as a under-rated gem but it seems a lot of Madonna fans don't like it.

I absolutely adore it! Both versions. I can see why you're mentioning it too. :-)

GI2M?

That song is about an individual.

Give it to ME! Yeah. Noone's gonna stop ME now!

Versus

If WE took a holiday.

Don't just stand there LET'S (LET US) get to it, strike a pose. There's nothing to it.

Music makes THE PEOPLE COME TOGETHER. Yeah!

I *heart* the album but that record is a total mess...she's basically featuring on her own song & her vocals

come from a storage bottle.

& Kurt, I don't get why something should b considered good cuz it was a 'smart move' or a 'last big hit'.

The moment Timbaland opens his mouth, I'm out...I like the brass & the beat though.

I *heart* the album but that record is a total mess...she's basically featuring on her own song & her vocals

come from a storage bottle.

& Kurt, I don't get why something should b considered good cuz it was a 'smart move' or a 'last big hit'.

The moment Timbaland opens his mouth, I'm out...I like the brass & the beat though.

I don't think it should be considered GOOD because of those things. I'm just saying in no way was it bad for her career or a MISTAKE to release, as has been implied many times over the last 5 years and in this thread. A mistake based on what? Personal taste. That's ridiculous. My own opinion and your own opinion of the song aside, the song was a monster of a hit and carried the HC album and that was the intention of releasing that track. It appealed to people that typically could care less about a Madonna song. It did exactly what a single is supposed to do...sell, get airplay and push the album. I just fail to see how that could be considered a mistake based on anything EXCEPT personal opinion of the song.

Probably one of her most bombastic lead singles ever! I don't care what anyone says, this single at that time was a smart move for her and she did gain fans that normally wouldn't have given Madonna a second thought at that point. This song screamed HIT and as of now it's been her last massive one. Does it really matter 5 years later that some of the HC songs had the signature mid-late 00's Timbo sound?? FS/LS, Loose, HC....ALL of them are old now and are representative of that 2006-2008 period at this point.

Well said and very accurate. Radio would have ignored anything else had Timberlake not been apart of it. It may not be a fan favorite (I am pretty indifferent to it) but it was a very smart move on a business stance....she scored another US radio/chart hit (even though a lot of people thought it was a Justin song featuring Madonna). Unfortunately, she cannot do it on her own anymore....

Guest Rachelle of London

I do think Madonna could score a hit by herself. People wrote her off back in 2003 after AL and she came back with Hung Up. 4 Minutes was definitely not a career mistake, it went no1 so many places. it is still played on radio here today 5 years on.

I do think Madonna could score a hit by herself. People wrote her off back in 2003 after AL and she came back with Hung Up. 4 Minutes was definitely not a career mistake, it went no1 so many places. it is still played on radio here today 5 years on.

I have believed this for a long time, but I really do not think it will happen at this point...but I truly hope that I am wrong. After the Clear Channel ban a decade ago, she has yet to recover. Despite the international success of the COADF singles, US radio did not play them, 4 Minutes was played because of Justin, GMAYL was played as a Super Bowl hype (but then quickly dropped).....unless she does something that ignites the world outside of the radio forcing programmers to take notice, she will only grow older and more irrelevant in their eyes.

Cher's "Believe" was a fluke in 1998 because it was an unexpected about-face sound and move for a respected and beloved legend....currently, the media and much of the general public has a negative view on Madonna (plastic surgery, young boyfriends, trying too hard to hold onto youth....ironically all the things Cher had done prior to Believe....lol).

In time, her image will recover, it always does, she goes through loved and loathed phases more than any other artist, but I believe her commercial success will remain in international album sales and world tour box office scores.