Happy 5 years 4 Minutes

Guest gang bang

Guest Rachelle of London

Fighting Spirit...you are aware that Madonna's music has had influences of "urban" since the very beginning. Just because she chose to record an RnB album in 2008 does not mean thats when she started "doing" rnb

It's amazing that at the time i thought her face was stuffed to death... nowadays looking back her face looks quite "normal" in 2008 :lol:

Guest Rachelle of London

It's amazing that at the time i thought her face was stuffed to death... nowadays looking back her face looks quite "normal" in 2008 :lol:

hahahaha in 2008 if only we knew what we had in store when it came to "the face" hahahahahahaha

it almost ruined her career lol

I'd say that song in particular and the S&S tour gave her lots of momentum. Prior to this it has been 6-8 years since Madonna got played on US radio. It seemed like it was one of those songs everybody (except her diehard fans oddly) loved at the time. The only place I heard anything remotely bad about that song was on Madonna fan forums. It also sounds amazing in a club atmosphere, it seemed to get everyone pumped when those opening horns came on.

Between Madonna making strange decisions and a certain Stefani pretending to be some Gwen Stefani/Paris Hilton hybrid, she lost many OLD (literally :lmao:) fans too. :lol:

2008 wans't a great year for me as a Madonna fan. But 5 years later I'm still here because I knew that awful phase wouldn't last forever.

I think it is a great pop song (the horns are definitely on overload), and although I don't listen to it much anymore, I am glad she went down the Timbaland route - if for nothing but to see what would happen.

This song is terrible live though. I am not sure I ever want to see it on tour again. It would need a big reinvention.

Fighting Spirit...you are aware that Madonna's music has had influences of "urban" since the very beginning. Just because she chose to record an RnB album in 2008 does not mean thats when she started "doing" rnb

Exactly.....I think "Madonna" could be considered as much a R&B record for it's time as BS or HC for their times. Essentially though, her albums are always pop.

Guest Rachelle of London

Exactly.....I think "Madonna" could be considered as much a R&B record for it's time as BS or HC for their times. Essentially though, her albums are always pop.

Definitely! Even LAV, one of her most iconic "pop" records was produced by an RnB producer

I loved it when 4 Minutes came on. The video was played on the music channels NON STOP! It was crazy. I loved it!

I absolutely HATED HArd Candy when it was released and now i have completly changed my mind about it. It's not perfect but it's a great album and the leftovers are good as well. 4 minutes would have sounded major with a real horn section and drums though

4 minutes would have sounded major with a real horn section and drums though

I wish there was a version where Madonna had sung the 4 minutes to save the world line instead of JT

I loved dancing to it with my friend doing the Justin parts in gay clubs. It happened a lot so we knew it perfectly. We were so in synch. One time we performed the Virgin choreography from She's not me in perfect unison. :lol:

The song and the album made me take a year off Madonna... I felt like she let them overpower her with their sound and production. I welcomed Celebration with open arms because she sounded like herself again!

At the time of the release, this was the single that most disappointed me since I started listening to her music in the early nineties. Now I listen to the song with no problem & I appreciate it, but her team must have it in them to start releasing better lead off singles as she did in the past. Guess we will see.....

I never had a problem with her going urban, or her doing any other genre. And I don't think she needs a 'history' of doing it to justify it as a choice. I just don't see how calling in two of the world's most over-exposed Hot 100 producers really qualifies as doing that. It was hit chasing, pure and simple.

I also think in A&R terms she was really let down by the industry. Who clearly knew that they were going to launch Gaga shortly, and that she would bring back 'pure' pop as her thing. Making Madonna's move to urban look even sillier. It was almost like Madonna being moved to one side to make way.