B-day song (Guy version)

thebeatswithin

So, I was searching the ASCAP database, as one does, and I came across a new entry in addition to the standard entry for MDNA's B-Day Song, featuring MIA. This additional entry was actually registered on ASCAP after the MIA version and is listed as B-Day Song (Guy version) featuring Martin Solveig. This indicates that there's another version of the song out there sans MIA, and possibly w/ Solveig's vocals. Apologies if this has been posted before, but I don't recall seeing this elsewhere. Anyone else heard about this?

I noticed it, too.

I wonder if it's any different from the album version, except for the obvious fact that it features Martin Solveig instead of M.I.A.?

I guess it's just a fuck it let's have fun and it may have started as a joke, whatever is not the only madonna song i skip... Neither do u

I don't skip it. I've had my fun with it (in the car alone). I was envisioning something epic between M/M, but I guess now we know this wasn't so much a colab, she was an add on.

Birthday song is the new Jimmy Jimmy. I kept hearing how all Madonna fans hate these songs, yet I never skip them when they come on, instead sing along to them with a smile on my face. They are far from classics but fun anyway.

B-day Song is actually a misunderstood track and is much deeper than it gets credit for. It's actually political, taking a very firm stance on ageism. As Madonna has gotten older as a pop star, her age has become increasingly important to the media, with many people telling her to act her age. To combat that, Madonna joined forces with another politically outspoken singer, M.I.A., to speak out against ageism in the way that would piss off detractors the most; by acting even younger AND acting as though no one gives a fuck about aging. It's her birthday song in her happy world; even though she is getting older, she'll act out more if it means pissing people off. It's actually quite brilliant, in the same vein of brilliance as the American Life rap.

Guest Rachelle of London

I entered this thread thinking that it was a recording of BDay Song featuring Guy Oseary hahhahaha

I love Bday song, how come fans don't?

I think the song is everything GMAYL pretended to be... and wasn't.

B-day Song is actually a misunderstood track and is much deeper than it gets credit for. It's actually political, taking a very firm stance on ageism. As Madonna has gotten older as a pop star, her age has become increasingly important to the media, with many people telling her to act her age. To combat that, Madonna joined forces with another politically outspoken singer, M.I.A., to speak out against ageism in the way that would piss off detractors the most; by acting even younger AND acting as though no one gives a fuck about aging. It's her birthday song in her happy world; even though she is getting older, she'll act out more if it means pissing people off. It's actually quite brilliant, in the same vein of brilliance as the American Life rap.

:lmao::inlove:

Na na na na na na na na na na na na

I've never understood the hate for this song. It reminds me of M's older tracks on the earlier albums, where there was a song or two that seemed like a 'WTF' when listening to the album as a whole...but was ultimately just Madonna having some silly fun. I don't think they were ever meant to be taken seriously. I think we forget that at times as Madonna fans. We expect everything to be political, heavy, sexy, etc... but Madonna built a lot of her career on being cheeky and silly, with a middle finger raised 'don't take it all so serious' attitude.

I don't know...I actually like B-day song for what it is...fun, silly fluff. And honestly, the composition itself is actually really nice for a throwback kind of tune. I think it's the lyrics that people go 'wtf' at...

As for MIA's involvement, is kind of a :huh: moment... perhaps she was added on as an after-thought. Though her addition on GMAYL is also a :huh: moment...I'd expect MIA to be on something more like Some Girls, I'm A Sinner, or even IDGA instead of Nicki...

Could it be the original demo?

I think M's vocals sound very different on this. It's a throwaway song that should have been a b-side at best.

It's almost like she released everything she recorded instead of having them leaked later on.

I actually like BDay song, the only thing I dislike on it is MIAs monotonic voice

I love the MIA vocals, and the contrast. I get really into it and sing along and have a great time... it just doesn't quite work in the context of the album.

I've never understood the hate for this song. It reminds me of M's older tracks on the earlier albums, where there was a song or two that seemed like a 'WTF' when listening to the album as a whole...but was ultimately just Madonna having some silly fun. I don't think they were ever meant to be taken seriously. I think we forget that at times as Madonna fans. We expect everything to be political, heavy, sexy, etc... but Madonna built a lot of her career on being cheeky and silly, with a middle finger raised 'don't take it all so serious' attitude.

I don't know...I actually like B-day song for what it is...fun, silly fluff. And honestly, the composition itself is actually really nice for a throwback kind of tune. I think it's the lyrics that people go 'wtf' at...

As for MIA's involvement, is kind of a :huh: moment... perhaps she was added on as an after-thought. Though her addition on GMAYL is also a :huh: moment...I'd expect MIA to be on something more like Some Girls, I'm A Sinner, or even IDGA instead of Nicki...

Not that B-Day song is one that I play on a consistent basis, but your first paragraph is very true. This is one of those songs I don't love but I can't hate because it BLATANTLY is not taking itself seriously. It's the Jimmy Jimmy of MDNA!

Guest Rachelle of London

I love the MIA vocals, and the contrast. I get really into it and sing along and have a great time... it just doesn't quite work in the context of the album.

the na na na na na bits sound like shes in pain loooool

its a great singalong track, but her bits make me cringe