Future Madonna: More accessible?

CMoody

It is no secret that in recent years Madonna has become the most fan-friendly and "accessible" as she has ever been: open soundchecks, Golden Triangle, more personal interactions with fans both before and during shows. She seems far more relaxed and approachable (for her) than ever before (compare the rare Confessions soundchecks where she told fans to shut up to the S&S Part 2 and MDNA ones where she jokes, sings with and entertains the fans).

One does wonder, as the years continue to go by, will Madonna slowly become more and more accessible? Many artists in their later years, once the intense popularity wears off a bit, become more fan-friendly as they learn to truly appreciate the people who made and keep them where they are. I am not saying M will ever do any Meet-and-Greet type events (I always joke to friends that you are far more likely to meet Jesus Christ face-to-face than Madonna)...but she does seem more comfortable at coming out of "show" mode and getting more real with her fans....at least on tour.

All this kinder approach seems rather like a damage control move than a genuine will to be accessible. Just you wait when she has a smash hit #1 song... she will be back to the closed mode :lol:

^ I dunno. She might have to do more damage control for starting her show so late this last time around. Not that I am complaining, but it seems a lot of casual fans weren't having it. I think the hardcore fans are the ones who appreciate the more accessible Madonna. The unwashed masses, not so much.

I just dream of Olympia-sized venues in the far future with M doing shows more for herself and the diehards. Perhaps just a dream as she may prefer to always play the mass venues.

Guest Rachelle of London

I think she's just a lot more laid back now...probably due to age, she probably hasn't got the time for it anymore. With technology advancing at this rate Madonna can't "block" people from getting to her or knowing where she is so she might aswell just give into it

Y'know, I may be in the minority here but I really much prefer ''distant'' Madonna to the accessible version. I don't think she needs to be have closer contact with her fans - that's not what her fame is based on and it's not the kind of person she is, even if she is more mellow these days. I actually find the fact that she does soundchecks in front of thousands of fans quite disconcerting, knowing that Madonna is such a control freak and would only let people see her performs when she feels everything's perfect. For me, increased accessibility, means less magic.

I think she would probably become a little more accessible as she gets older, but not so much because it's not her personality. I agree that being a mother of four helps her to stay grounded and perhaps keeps her ego in check.

Y'know, I may be in the minority here but I really much prefer ''distant'' Madonna to the accessible version. I don't think she needs to be have closer contact with her fans - that's not what her fame is based on and it's not the kind of person she is, even if she is more mellow these days. For me, increased accessibility, means less magic.

I agree with this right here.

Y'know, I may be in the minority here but I really much prefer ''distant'' Madonna to the accessible version. I don't think she needs to be have closer contact with her fans - that's not what her fame is based on and it's not the kind of person she is, even if she is more mellow these days. I actually find the fact that she does soundchecks in front of thousands of fans quite disconcerting, knowing that Madonna is such a control freak and would only let people see her performs when she feels everything's perfect. For me, increased accessibility, means less magic.

Agree with you. Personally, I don't want to see her soundchecks etc as they are merely rehearsals and not the finished product. Madonna has never been the type of star who runs to her fans for constant approval and attention, she is more reserved in her private life and I can't see how that is a problem. People all have different personalities in life and why people always want her to change is beyond me. There are some celebrities who have the type of naturally friendly and open personalities that are adorable - such as Dolly Parton, Hugh Jackman to name a few and it suits them. They are naturally like that and it is not put on. Madonna is not like that and it does not make her less of a great person. I would hate her to be false to who she is and luckily she is never like that.

And actually, her outburst about smoking on one of the South American soundchecks shows that she's really not at ease with having them open to fans. This is 'accessibility' that has been forced on her and something she'd NEVER choose herself.

I think some of it might also have to do with management ( not saying either one is better then the toner- though I prefer Freddy:) but ever since guy o took the reins solely, Madonna has become more accessible.

Guest Rachelle of London

But then could that be to the fact that Freddy managed Madonna in the 80s and 90s where there was no digital cameras, no Twitter and a celeb could actually live a "reclusive" lifestyle, whereas Guy took over in 2005??? where scrutiny of celebs personal lives was starting to peak

I felt the same way for a long time. When the 2006 soundchecks happened, I wasn't surprised in the slightest that Madonna was not keen on the fans being there and wasn't shy on expressing this fact. She is a perfectionist and this unauthorized peak behind the curtain is directly against her personal and professional nature.

I was surprised that she didn't find a way to prevent this altogether (I am sure she tried, but due to time constraints, security, etc for non-US venues, she has no choice....unless she does her soundchecks at an earlier time). Once she realized it was a fact that she was going to have to contend with, she made the most of it, becoming very fun and friendly during the Sticky and Sweet checks through the present.

It did seem like apart of the magic and mystery would be lost but having experienced a soundcheck myself (and I am sure others here who have as well will agree with my view), I can assure you, even without makeup or costume, she is still very much the QUEEN, her energy and presence is just as powerful as it is when the lights are up and the show is running.

Since soundchecks in the US are so rare, we weren't expecting to see one in Miami, but when they finally let us into the GT, everyone ran to claim their spots when "WHAM" we hear a guitar chord, look up, and there she is, MADONNA, in the flesh, tiny, no makeup, just there before us with no intro or announcement...everyone SCREAMED and RAN to the front of the stage. It was SUCH an incredibly MAGICAL moment that I will re-live over and over in my memories!

I have posted this before, but will again since its relevant to this conversation.

Filmed with my phone by my friend as I was too insane to even tryto attempt filming anything (plus I wanted to LIVE in this moment with my own eyes, ears and senses). Take a Dramamine first! I think it captures the pure excitement we all felt in that very rare moment (we only got to see TUTR, the final song of soundcheck):

I think her accessibility recently is just a product of the times. This is an era where some celebs literally will not go a day without saying something to their fans on some social network. I don't think she's gone overboard with it at this point. Throwing a bone to the diehard fans that have supported you for years isn't too much. The golden triangle was a wonderful idea and I hope they do something similar on the next tour. It seems like many of us who have been following her for years FINALLY got a chance to see her very close and personal. I don't see the big deal about fans seeing the rehearsals either, no I could never imagine Madonna of 1990 doing that, but that doesn't make it a bad thing. It seems like Madonna is just generally a more chilled out person at this stage in her life than she was in the past. As with all of us as we age, perhaps things that used to really get under her skin just simply don't bother her anymore. Sure, there is the video of her telling fans to "shut up" at a CT rehearsal and the infamous "smoking" rehearsal from MDNA. On the other hand, there are rehearsal videos of her singing Physical Attraction and talking and joking with fans like they are old friends or something. As diehards, I think we can tend to read into things a little too much. We say she's being forced to do this and that when in reality, she could've just been having a bad day or as in the case of the "smoking incident", she felt like total shit. I don't necessarily think she thought of the idea of the GT or to do a Twitter chat with her fans when MDNA came out, but that doesn't mean she loathed it either. She could've just flat out said NO (as she apparently did when it came to promoting MDNA) and that would've been the end of it.

I don't like the idea of her Tweeting every thought that pops in her head everyday, or having deep discussions in bed with her fans after her shows...lol....even the idea of a "Madonna meet and greet" would seem quite phony coming from her, but "fan friendly" perks such as Golden Triangles and a possibility of seeing a rehearsal don't cross that line to me at all.

In what way is she any more accessible now than ever? She really is not. Once her children are fully grown she will be more relaxed but STILL very private.

In what way is she any more accessible now than ever? She really is not. Once her children are fully grown she will be more relaxed but STILL very private.

I agree. The only example of her accessIbility that's held any ground in this thread are the sound checks, but those only happen every few years, and it's not like she's a chatterbox every single time. It's nice to see her interact with fans, but she'll only put herself out there as much as she's comfortable with. If anything, things like lack of traditional promo like interviews and talk shows have made her LESS accessible.

It's still limited to when she's on stage, in performer mode. Any other time, she's the same as she's always been. She'd still throw a shirt back at a fan trying to get it onstage. :lol:

Plus she's still on stage and being adored by her loyal subjects. It's not like she's visiting us at home for dinner.

Yup. Wonder why CMoody deleted his post. Makes me look like I'm arguing with myself. :lol:

Yup. Wonder why CMoody deleted his post. Makes me look like I'm arguing with myself. :lol:

Adreeyen, I have to laugh. I noticed the same thing. Thought why has CMoody's post disappeared as poor Adreeyen now looks like he is answering himself !

Don't worry Adreeyen, we all love you and know you are not mad. :lol:

Wait, so you guys didn't get invited to her Kabballah-themed pool party? The pool was in the shape of the Hebrew letter for circumcision, the entire area neatly lined with red string and filled to the brim with Rabbi-blessed NYC tap water. Brahim showed us all how long he could hold his breath in the deep end.....best. day. ever.

I didn't mean to delete the post but edit to correct a typo....lol...I don't remember what I said now so we will just keep it that you are arguing with yourself ;)