Denise Van Outen dresses as Madonna

Jazzy Jan

denise-van-outen-1--a.jpg

Denise Van Outen channels Madonna for Red Nose Day

DENISE Van Outen has channelled Madonna's character from classic 80s film Desperately Seeking Susan for these snaps for Comic Relief.

The Strictly star donned a glitzy jacket, tonnes of jewellery, lace gloves and bright red lipstick for the photos.

Denise said: “I absolutely love all things 80s and jumped at the chance to recreate my favourite Madonna photo of all time. Going all out for the eighties is a brilliant way to raise money, so all those eighties fans who can’t wait to get out the lace gloves and leg warmers should get sponsored for Red Nose Day while they’re at it!”

In Desperately Seeking Susan, a bored suburban housewife, Roberta Glass (Rosanna Arquette) seeking adventure to her life, accidentally gets hit on the head, wakes up with amnesia, and is mistaken for a free-spirited New York City drifter named Susan (Madonna).

It's never right when they try to recreate her early 80's look. Madonna was raw, you could felt her spontaneity in her look, something they never succeed to recreate. Those look-a-like style is always too "static" and not naturally raw, especially the hair. it's hard to explain but some of you will get what i mean.

It's never right when they try to recreate her early 80's look. Madonna was raw, you could felt her spontaneity in her look, something they never succeed to recreate. Those look-a-like style is always too "static" and not naturally raw, especially the hair. it's hard to explain but some of you will get what i mean.

Come on, we all know Madonna had stylists from the very beginning, e.g. Maripol...any spontaneity in her look was constructed to appear that way!

Guest Rachelle of London

why is Denise Van Outen trying to recreate a look Madonna had in her 20s, surely it would be more convincing if she went for the Music era

Cant stand Denise, most overrated person in British Media!

Come on, we all know Madonna had stylists from the very beginning, e.g. Maripol...any spontaneity in her look was constructed to appear that way!

Madonnas image is organIc. It grows with her.

Haha...she has a team of stylists (hair and fashion), make-up artists and surgery consultant(s) much like any other celebrity. :rotfl:

Haha...she has a team of stylists (hair and fashion), make-up artists and surgery consultant(s) much like any other celebrity. :rotfl:

She does. But in the early days her image was a lot more organic and whilst she was good friends with Maripol and the likes, a lot of it was more organic and spontaneous.

Clearly you have no idea about the Madonna early days.

Exactly. Sure she had stylist from the beginning like Maripol, but as Getunconscious said very well, then Madonna gave life to it, mixed it with her own personalty.

As for Maripol, sure she designed tons of clothes and accessories for her when she began in the music industry but don't forget Madonna also created that "urban meets punk" style herself in her early days in New-York, even before she met Maripol, just look at the pics from her pre-fame years. Many people, including Pearl lang, her famous dance teacher, told anecdotes about how Madonna was cutting her t-shirts, customized them with huge safety pins, put stuff in her hair, and how people would stopped and look at her on the streets etc..., and this was before Maripol or any stylist entered her life.

If there is one style/look she is the main creator of it's the early one 80 to 85.

She does. But in the early days her image was a lot more organic and whilst she was good friends with Maripol and the likes, a lot of it was more organic and spontaneous.

Clearly you have no idea about the Madonna early days.

I have a pretty good idea about Madonna's early days as I've been a fan from pretty much the beginning. The point is, she had stylists during the era in question so there was nothing spontaneous about it.

I have a pretty good idea about Madonna's early days as I've been a fan from pretty much the beginning. The point is, she had stylists during the era in question so there was nothing spontaneous about it.

Well in that case NOTHING is spontaneous unless a persons clothes FELL on to them. Designers invent clothing styles and therefore it's all done for you. Madonna COLLABORATED with Maripol and she wore it the way she wanted. She didn't have somebody come to her and say 'in order to be cool we'll put you in touch with a stylist and they'll dress you.'. Madonna is sent rails of clothing from designers and she sends most of it back. She always has her own vision and understanding of the clothes and actually she uses clothing to build characterisations with her music/videos and tours. She has people to do her hair and make up etc but she is the visionary. Look at the last time Stella McCartney made a dress for her. That was Madonnas vision. No doubt.

Well in that case NOTHING is spontaneous unless a persons clothes FELL on to them. Designers invent clothing styles and therefore it's all done for you. Madonna COLLABORATED with Maripol and she wore it the way she wanted. She didn't have somebody come to her and say 'in order to be cool we'll put you in touch with a stylist and they'll dress you.'. Madonna is sent rails of clothing from designers and she sends most of it back. She always has her own vision and understanding of the clothes and actually she uses clothing to build characterisations with her music/videos and tours. She has people to do her hair and make up etc but she is the visionary. Look at the last time Stella McCartney made a dress for her. That was Madonnas vision. No doubt.

Nobody is disputing Madonna is in control of what she wears and her overall look, however to say her look was spontaneous during the tail end of the Like a Virgin era is silly. She was an established artist at that time having had numerous videos and hits in the charts. The average 19 year old girl who throws an ensemble together after a shopping trip to the mall is spontaneous. Madonna is an artist with a team of people behind her. The photo being emulated was a studio shot so they could not afford to be spontaneous with a high profile celebrity like Madonna. Go ask her team! :rotfl:

denise-van-outen-1--a.jpg

Denise Van Outen channels Madonna for Red Nose Day

DENISE Van Outen has channelled Madonna's character from classic 80s film Desperately Seeking Susan for these snaps for Comic Relief.

The Strictly star donned a glitzy jacket, tonnes of jewellery, lace gloves and bright red lipstick for the photos.

Denise said: “I absolutely love all things 80s and jumped at the chance to recreate my favourite Madonna photo of all time. Going all out for the eighties is a brilliant way to raise money, so all those eighties fans who can’t wait to get out the lace gloves and leg warmers should get sponsored for Red Nose Day while they’re at it!”

In Desperately Seeking Susan, a bored suburban housewife, Roberta Glass (Rosanna Arquette) seeking adventure to her life, accidentally gets hit on the head, wakes up with amnesia, and is mistaken for a free-spirited New York City drifter named Susan (Madonna).

I think she looks great. I don't know who she is but I'm glad she chose to dress as Madonna in one her greatest looks. I love when people dress as Madonna, I think it's a huge compliment. I absolutely love her look from early to mid eighties.

As for Madonna's early look, she was wearing rubber bracelets and tying tights in her hair and looking fabulous doing it, a rare gift. Her look was polished when she became famous.

Edited by Larkspur

Remember when Kaley Cuoco did a JML inspired shoot and made the mistake of shooting it at a Hilton Hotel and looked all stiff and uncomfortable?

kaley_cuoco_madonna_photoshoot6_kenq18V.sized.jpg

8_7-560x387.jpg

Was that from the Daily Mail? I really DETEST them saying someone is CHANELLING someone. Um No, they're dressed like them. There's a DIFFERENCE you THICK CUNT.

She looks ok. Everyone always looks a bit daft when they dress up as Madonna. But then, pretty as they were, Madonna's recreations of Monroe were never that accurate either.

Nobody is disputing Madonna is in control of what she wears and her overall look, however to say her look was spontaneous during the tail end of the Like a Virgin era is silly. She was an established artist at that time having had numerous videos and hits in the charts. The average 19 year old girl who throws an ensemble together after a shopping trip to the mall is spontaneous. Madonna is an artist with a team of people behind her. The photo being emulated was a studio shot so they could not afford to be spontaneous with a high profile celebrity like Madonna. Go ask her team! :rotfl:/>

You're wrong in every way. A 19 year old girl is most likely NOT throwing an outfit together. She's taking inspiration from film, magazines and her friends. The clothes she is buying are most likely designe with her as part of the target audience. It's NOT spontaneous.

Secondly Madonna does NOT work with stylists everyday. Yes, certain photo shoots etc require a stylist but usually it's for time saving more than anything. Madonna can't just pop to the shops. A stylist didn't tell her to be influenced by Dietrich, Garbo, Monroe, Harlow etc. She wasn't told to show influences of Japanese tradition, Americana, seventies disco, post apocalyptic chic and on and on. She took influences from her OWN INTERESTS. It is organic. Her vision. She isn't wearing what the world thinks is cool. She's wearing what she likes. So you're WRONG. If you watch the many Maripol interviews you'll see that.

You're wrong in every way. A 19 year old girl is most likely NOT throwing an outfit together. She's taking inspiration from film, magazines and her friends. The clothes she is buying are most likely designe with her as part of the target audience. It's NOT spontaneous.

Secondly Madonna does NOT work with stylists everyday. Yes, certain photo shoots etc require a stylist but usually it's for time saving more than anything. Madonna can't just pop to the shops. A stylist didn't tell her to be influenced by Dietrich, Garbo, Monroe, Harlow etc. She wasn't told to show influences of Japanese tradition, Americana, seventies disco, post apocalyptic chic and on and on. She took influences from her OWN INTERESTS. It is organic. Her vision. She isn't wearing what the world thinks is cool. She's wearing what she likes. So you're WRONG. If you watch the many Maripol interviews you'll see that.

I think you neglected to use the past tense. I haven't seen Madonna wear anything cool for YEARS.

Madonna created most of the look of Susan herself. I have a biography on Madonna from the 80's ( have to dig it out ) where there was a whole chapter discussing the making of Desperately Seeking Susan in a lot of detail. The gorgeous Egyptian jacket was of course not her own as it was a main part of the plot, but most of the clothes were either her own or picked by her. Originally the character's wardrobe was more outlandish and eccentric, apparently similar to the whole Cyndi Lauper look but Madonna bought her own inspiration and take to it and evidently the producers and director liked her vision. I also read where she did her own hair and make-up which seems crazy but that was what was quoted in the book and I have read it in articles as well.

On top of that, when Madonna has been interviewed on several tv shows and they show clips of her in the 80's she has often said stuff like "what was I thinking, - Why didn't they stop me dressing like that and putting tights in my hair - and " We didn't have stylists back then, we created our own look"

I always remember that line of thinking because I think thank goodness that she did not have a stylist and was given a lot of freedom because I adore how she looked during the 80's and as a young girl of 11 at the time, copied virtually everything she wore. Also, her vision of always changing her looks was genius. she has never been caught in a time warp and her changes in looks, hair, clothes etc over the years have for the most part been brilliant. She is a true fashion and style original.

I think you neglected to use the past tense. I haven't seen Madonna wear anything cool for YEARS.

I think you neglected to read carefully.

I said that she doesn't wear what the WORLD THINKS IS COOL. DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW? I wasn't suggesting that I think what she wears is cool although I DO. She has a cool personal style and good taste.