Rick Nowels: Madonna doesn’t get the credit she deserves as a writer

Guest Fukujima

Actually WO said she went deep 4 the lyrics on FF.

& LS could very well have been demoed with her lyrics...it's rather 2 personal.

She changed a few lines....the song, including lyrics was complete when submitted to Madonna. You will be interested to read this (interview with songwriter Laurie Mayer:

http://madonnanewera.net/voices/332-laurie-mayer

Did you wrote this track with Madonna and her MDNA album in your mind or it was for yourself at first?

I wrote it with Madonna in mind as my dream destination for the song, but didn't know at the time it would get to her.

Priscilla said they wrote it together

See my link above. Jean Baptiste confirms that the LS lyrics were written by himself, Madonna and Priscilla. M had far less to do with FF.

See my link above. Jean Baptiste confirms that the LS lyrics were written by himself, Madonna and Priscilla. M had far less to do with FF.

So that means she had a hand in writing it...........like someone said before, the song is too personal to not have her write anything on it.

All in all I think Madonna has had some iffy bad spots with her writing, but songs like I'm addicted, voices, miles away, etc really showcase her skills. I feel like they haven't dwindeled, she's just gotten lazy in being consistent with them.

The one couldnt get everything that deserves while is alive. Maybe after, just when people will studdy her impact in popular music with some distance they will see all things that are important.

probably a lot will change. Just listen how retard but genious are lyrics in beatles songs. Read the yesterday...i cant see diference between that song and GMAYL which is considered as a song with stupid common lyrics. Probably after 20 years from now noone will think that.

The one couldnt get everything that deserves while is alive. Maybe after, just when people will studdy her impact in popular music with some distance they will see all things that are important.

probably a lot will change. Just listen how retard but genious are lyrics in beatles songs. Read the yesterday...i cant see diference between that song and GMAYL which is considered as a song with stupid common lyrics. Probably after 20 years from now noone will think that.

Did you just compare The Beatles 'Yesterday' to GMAYL? :shock:

Doesn't the Laurie Mayers interview actually say the version that was brought to her by Joe Henry was the one she worked, and as Joe is M's brother in law it's quite possible they had written bits of it together prior to that. The melody of FF obviously isn't M, but parts of it are in her syntax. Similarly, parts of LS couldn't have been written by anyone but M, she has a very distinctive style.

And like someone said, she wrote I'm Addicted entirely on her own, as the other two people credited as writers don't speak any english. Regardless of FF or LS, IA and GB are both exemplary of what she has left in her creatively (I know she didn't write GB but the delivery is all her, and that's what makes the song). It's those glimpses of brilliance that make the rest of MDNA SUCH a frustrating album.

Rick wrote Summertime Sadness - the best song of 2012 in my oppinion. And I ve loved everything he did with Madonna for ROL. Those two facts are stong indication that she wont make a mistake if she writes with him again for her next album.

By the way the lyrics to Im Addicted are perfect... The song is the perfect 1st single to MDNA. Absolute magic! Oh why oh why wasnt this the first single??????????????????

4 The record:

The lyrics 4 Erotica r just as good, if not better :wow:

When you know the notes to sing

You can sing most anything

That's what my mama told me

Don't go making me cry

You're gonna say goodbye

Baby, tell me why

Here she comes, little miss black widow

First she spins her web and she's stealing your boyfriend

You're a thief of hearts and now you'll have to pay

Which leg do you want me to break?

Love your brother now

Show your sister how

Warm inside, yeah

I'd like to direct your attention

To something that needs directing to

A lot of people talk about

Dining in and eating out

I guess that's what this song's about

I know this is not a dining room conversation

And you don't have to listen if you don't have the time

But let me remind you in case you don't already know

Dining out can happen down below

Everybody's talkin' 'bout

Wanting that and needing this

I'd just like to know

If you want to learn a different kind of kiss

So won't you go down where it's warm inside

Go down where I cannot hide

Go down where all life begins

Go down that's where my love is

Now what could be better than a home cooked meal

How you want to eat it depends on how you feel

You can eat all you want and you don't get fat

Now where else can you go for a meal like that

It's not fair to be selfish or stingy

Every girl should experience eating out

Sometimes when I come home from a hard day at work

I swear it's all I can think about

I'd just like to know

If you want to learn a different way to kiss

Colonel Sanders says it best

"Finger lickin' good"

Let's put what you've learned to the test

Can you make a fire without using wood

Are you still hungry; aren't you glad we came

I'm glad you brought your raincoat

I think it's beginning to rain

I'd just like to know

If you want to learn a different way to kiss

That's where my love is

Come inside

That's where all life begins

It's warm inside

:1251:

Rick wrote Summertime Sadness - the best song of 2012 in my oppinion. And I ve loved everything he did with Madonna for ROL. Those two facts are stong indication that she wont make a mistake if she writes with him again for her next album.

Lana's Summertime Sadness....it's my FAVE on her album....no wonder I love it so much, it has a bit of an M-vibe.

Lana's Summertime Sadness....it's my FAVE on her album....no wonder I love it so much, it has a bit of an M-vibe.

true. it could ve been perfect for madonna

There is nothing artificial about Ray of Light whoopie. If you read the way it came together she actually started out working with Babyface, Rick Nowels and Patrick Leonard then as things progressed she wanted to avoid making another Bedtime Stories type album of 2 different styles and instead have it all tie in together soundwise. That's how the bulk of the album ended up being produced by William Orbit. There's the letter to Pat Leonard where she explains that.

She intended to work with Pat, Rick, and baby for lyrics, thats it. She knew the kind of sound she wanted and knew wasn't going to get it from them.

No, Guy was her A&R guy...the whole Grammy thing is bs whoops. She hadn't done an album in almost 4 years. She was hungry & ready.

+ she spent a lot of time in England 4 Evita...& shit was happening over there music wise...The UK was just amazing in that period...I'm pretty

sure it triggered a lot...next 2 being a mother course.

Guy was in the studio during the making of the album acko, watch the ultrasound interview.

The album was heavily promoted and tailored for Grammy attention acko.

lovely and interesting article!

en-20171.jpg

Rick Nowels: Madonna doesn’t get the credit she deserves as a writer

She is a brilliant pop melodist and lyricist. I was knocked out by the quality of the writing. The lyrics to ‘The Power Of Good-Bye’ are stunning. I love Madonna as an artist and a songwriter… know she grew up on Joni Mitchell and Motown, and to my ears she embodies the best of both worlds. She is a wonderful confessional songwriter, as well as being a superb hit chorus pop writer… She doesn’t get the credit she deserves as a writer.

:clap:

And it's a bunch of bullshit to say that her lyrics recently have been simple and embarrassing. Singles aside, that is absolutely not true. Some of her deepest lyrics have come from the past 3 albums.

Thank you :clap:

I disagree though when you say that ROL merely came about when she craved Grammy attention

I think she does things she's genuinely interested in and 99% of the times she does it wonderfully

Especially in music

Guest Not4Pussies

I really doubt she went Into the recording studio and said ok guys, let's make an album that will win me a Grammy. She had been ignored for 15 years before she won her first Grammy. An award was not on her mind while recording the album. She could give a fuck about a Grammy. It got major noms and won because it deserved it. Come on whoopi!

And I have always wondered why her lyrics have gotten weaker after ROL with a few lyrical gems here and there. She did say in an interview for Music or AL that ever since she started playing guitar again, she doesn't depend so much on other people to write songs with. That might be the reason why. Just look at all the leaked demos from 2004. All guitar driven with her own lyrics.

As Nikki pointed out, trust an article praising Madonna's songwriting and saying that she's underrated in this department to turn into a bashing session!

According to Madonna's detractors, her co-writing credits are a sham and she bullies "real' songwriters into giving her credit for something she didn't do.

According to a good number of her fans, her co-writing credits are a sham and she bullies "real" songwriters into giving her credit for something she didn't do.

According to her co-writers, she is underrated/brilliant/gifted/an amazing lyricist/an amazing melodist etc. etc.

According to Madonna's detractors, these co-writers are lying and just want to increase the chances that she will call them to work with her again one day.

According to a good number of her fans, these co-writers are lying and just want to increase the chances that she will call them to work with her again one day.

There is something seriously wrong with this situation.

As someone pointed it, it's more than just a possibility that Madonna worked with her brother-in-law on the lyrics of "Falling Free" before William gave them to Laurie. Anyone who wants to find evidence of her lack of songwriting ability will pounce on Laurie's words as gospel, though. As for LS, detractors and some fans will claim that Priscilla was lying when she said that she and Madonna worked on the lyrics together.

Just about every single person that Madonna has ever written a song with has gone on record to say how amazing she is at her craft. Why is it easier for some to believe that every single one of them is outright lying than it is to give the woman the credit she deserves....?

As Nikki pointed out, trust an article praising Madonna's songwriting and saying that she's underrated in this department to turn into a bashing session!

According to Madonna's detractors, her co-writing credits are a sham and she bullies "real' songwriters into giving her credit for something she didn't do.

According to a good number of her fans, her co-writing credits are a sham and she bullies "real" songwriters into giving her credit for something she didn't do.

According to her co-writers, she is underrated/brilliant/gifted/an amazing lyricist/an amazing melodist etc. etc.

According to Madonna's detractors, these co-writers are lying and just want to increase the chances that she will call them to work with her again one day.

According to a good number of her fans, these co-writers are lying and just want to increase the chances that she will call them to work with her again one day.

There is something seriously wrong with this situation.

As someone pointed it, it's more than just a possibility that Madonna worked with her brother-in-law on the lyrics of "Falling Free" before William gave them to Laurie. Anyone who wants to find evidence of her lack of songwriting ability will pounce on Laurie's words as gospel, though. As for LS, detractors and some fans will claim that Priscilla was lying when she said that she and Madonna worked on the lyrics together.

Just about every single person that Madonna has ever written a song with has gone on record to say how amazing she is at her craft. Why is it easier for some to believe that every single one of them is outright lying than it is to give the woman the credit she deserves....?

Brilliant Carta, sick of people trying to down-play the achievements of Madonna. Surely as fans of hers, we should know by now just how special her music and song-writing skills have been throughout her entire career. Some songs and albums are better than others but who else has been so consistent as a pop performer and song-writer over 3 decades ?

She put a lot of work and effort into making ROL into what it is today. From the engineering, the lyrics, the melodies, the instruments, the production, she had a hand in it all because she wanted a stellar album that showcased she was a changed woman, and because she wanted Grammy praise. Sorry but it's the truth. There's a reason why Guy O had a hand in the studio.

As much as I love that album, my 2nd favorite from her, it does come off as being a bit artificial. I'm NOT saying that her heart was not in the project or that it was forced or synthetic, all I'm saying is that you can hear it in the album that she really wanted praise.

And it's a bunch of bullshit to say that her lyrics recently have been simple and embarrassing. Singles aside, that is absolutely not true. Some of her deepest lyrics have come from the past 3 albums. Take the bitter taste out of your mouth from GMAYL and Bday song and look at the other tracks. Fuck, look at the tracks that built the other albums from the abandon musicals; you can hear the heartbreak so early on. She's been giving us her life story even after ROL.

I think you hit the nail on the head with ROL. It's great album with strong lyrics, sometimes ROL feels like it came from the head rather than pouring out of her heart.

You're are also right about the music that has come since ROL. She's had some fun, light-hearted frothy stuff, but many album tracks are also very extremely well-written.

I don't want to turn this into the AL thread but the simplicity of the AL album lyrics I loved. Whether it's poetry like (ROL) or simple down to earth (AL), I think she's good and it very much feels/sounds like her.