Original Crazy for You

Guest groovyguy

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnatribe.com/news/index.php

Madonna's second US number one single was the enduring ballad Crazy For You. Following Like A Virgin and Material Girl, it was the third single in a row to be released which had no writing involvement by Madonna.

The song, written by John Bettis and Jon Lind and taken from the soundtrack to the movie Vision Quest, was released on the Geffen label and sported the same picture sleeve throughout the world of Madonna taken from her cameo in the film. The rear of the sleeve, however, was left to be designed as seen fit internationally, and it was thanks to the Brazilian Geffen design team that the world came to discover that the song originally had a third verse, once which Madonna's hit version omitted. The rear of the Brazilian sleeve, shown below, included the lyric to the song and included this mysterious extra verse of lyrics.

They are as follows :

Just leave tomorrow, 'til tomorrow,

Let's concentrate on what we got here and now,

I want it all, and I want it with you

Here tonight all I'm tryin' to say is that I'm crazy for you...

This mysterious extra verse remained unheard until 1988 when a compilation LP, featuring the original songwriter demos of huge 1980s hits, was released. 'Number One With A Bullet' contained the original demo sung by the original songwriter and is the only place you can hear how strange the song sounds with the extra lyrics compared to what we're used to hearing as Madonna sings it.

Guest groovyguy

It's always cool to hear original demos. I remember when I first heard this. M's version sounds more "raw" and is much nicer to listen to. :)/>

Agree.

HG, do you know if this demo was sung by the song writers?

I like both versions... I think that this demo is more like the version on the film. I always wondered if the demo by Madonna has the "extra" verse... It would be great to hear it someday.

U know this would have worked really well 4 Cydney when u hear it like this....I'm once again reminded

why this will never b up there with her true classics of the 8o's...it could b anyone's...

Thnx 4 posting!

Cool stuff. It's a bit strange to hear this version of one of M's trademark songs. And I don't really care for the extra verse, so good decision on her part to drop it.

what a find! i love hearing things like this - is always interesting to see the journey some of these songs go on before the finished product we all get to hear. brilliant. thank you.

I don't know how to post videos, sorry, but here you can hear the "Vision quest" versión at the end of the scene. I think it sounds really good... and I guess this is the demo (the voice, the music) by Madonna...

[media=]

[/media]

Great to hear this and it proves to me why Madonna is such a great ballad singer. I have always loved her singing Crazy for you and comparing the original which was simply nice to Madonna's version which is considered to be one of the most romantic songs recorded. She sings it like she is completely in love and with so much feeling. I never waver from my opinion that she is possibly the most under-rated singer ever. I can never understand how people try to say she can't sing. I love her voice and she should get more credit for her talent as a singer.

I found this interesting. It's an interview with Jon Lind, one of the writers of Crazy For You.

http://www.songwriteruniverse.com/jon-lind-123.htm

Early on, I wrote "Crazy For You" with John Bettis. We got a script for a movie called Vision Quest. We read the script, and John and I wrote the song in one long day. The movie studio fell in love with it and wanted a new artist named Madonna to record it, and perform it in the movie. John and I had no idea who she was! Phil Ramone produced it, but as it turned out, the release of Vision Quest was delayed for 58 weeks. The storyboard of the film was very similar to the first Karate Kid movie. Vision Quest was about wrestling instead of karate.

During this 58-week delay, Madonna released “Holiday”, “Borderline”, “Lucky Star” and became the biggest artist in the world. She was on the cover of Time, Rolling Stone and Billboard. Then one night, I was in a restaurant. A friend saw me and came up to me enthusiastically and said, "Congratulations, I just heard 'Crazy For You' and it’s Madonna’s next single.” I found out from her that the song had been re-produced by Jellybean Benitez. This was one of those great moments where a songwriter realizes “there is a God”. The song became Madonna’s first #1 ballad.