Little Monsters Strike AGAIN [merged]

vocalism

Haha, I love that picture, but I do like Gaga more than Britney, who's fucking talentless and an idiot. Sweet girl though.

Larkspur, it's not like she's going to make money off you clicking on it. The story is hilarious.

I guess this the new Gaga diss thread, so have at it:

http://www.towleroad.com/2013/03/lady-gaga-surfaces-in-24-karat-gold-wheelchair.html

I have no words. LOL I could go into another rant about her but I only end up regretting some things I say. I shouldn't feed in to her and her team and really they are the ones I would most like to hear what I have to say.

uhhh they are just... I mean I understand that it is a small group of them who lash out and are genuinely deranged, but the rest of them gaga included take no pains to try and be fair or just.

But it is really a natural rivalry, Gaga and Madonna's ethoses are polar opposites, M's is and has always been, do what you want, you're on your own, be the best you can be and fuck everyone else and their mothers. Gaga's is don't worry you don't have to do anything you don't want to I'll look after you. Yet Gaga tries so hard to present herself as a Madonna-esque figure. Regardless of her artistry, the level of pop culture influence she lays claim to has only been achieved by a handful of people before her, M being prominent among them. It's just that these two very very different groups are sharing a very small space, so of course there is going to be fighting.

so much delusion goin' on in there, i just don't wanna engage with those kids. and they say gaga had more success and fame in her first 4 years than M!

Certainly in the first couple of years Gaga did have more success as 82 /83 Madonna didn't have much success with her first couple of single releases. It was only late 84 Madonna started to become huge on an international scale but that's because the market was totally different and much slower.

Gaga became massive very quickly but it was thanks to the internet and media hype that can spread globally very quickly. The media always want to find someone that is the 'new Madonna' and she fitted the bill.

But really, most of the people making these claims weren't even born so are just making shit up and have no clue what really happened. They probably don't realise just how big LAV and TB were!

^ Interscope was grooming her for stardom long before "Just Dance" broke. Madonna hit the clubs...on her own...without much WB support after her debut wasn't selling very well.

http://www.boston.com/ae/blogs/mediaremix/2013/03/gay_peoples_court_madonna_v_bo.html

If, like me, you were out on Saturday night doing something way cool that definitely did not involve watching videos on the Internet (WINK FACE), you may have missed that Madonna showed up to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) Media Awards in New York City. She gave a two-minute speech honoring Anderson Cooper for his work as an out journalist. She preceded it with an eight-minute speech honoring herself for being the most awesomely supportive gay icon of all time, and if you dare disagree she will cut you with the Swiss Army knife hidden under the brim of her Smokey the Bear hat.

Oh yeah, that. Madonna was dressed as a Cub Scout to publicly repudiate the Boy Scouts of America’s increasingly maligned no-gays-allowed policy. It was the latest bold move in an ongoing war among singing stars for gay hearts, loyalties, and (enter cynicism) consumer dollars. In recent years the LGBT demographic community has become a coveted prize for those peddling pop music. But when determining the difference between "support" and "exploitation," there's important evidence to consider: history. Unlike bush-league performers who warble paint-by-numbers Message Songs about being born this way like perfect fireworks or whatever, Madonna has been sticking up for the gay community since the days when it was a potential career-killer. That earns her a pass – and good faith in her sincerity – even when she pulls off gimmicky PR stunts that would seem patronizing coming from others.

Madonna’s appearance at the GLAAD awards earned a lot of pre-press, for obvious reasons. Madonna speaking at a gala of affluent gay power brokers is sort of like the Queen Mother making a transatlantic voyage to address the colonies. It’s a special moment.

But the announcement of her appearance elicited backlash from a contingent of Lady Gaga fans, AKA “Little Monsters,” AKA the online fan world’s equivalent of a fringe militia. Totally not trying to be funny, they petitioned GLAAD to rescind its invitation on the grounds that Madonna does not care about gay people and probably tried to give them AIDS. Sigh.

The original petition (since removed from the website where it was posted):

Dear GLAAD:

It has come to the attention to Little Monsters everywhere that you are letting Madonna give an award to Anderson Cooper. Not only is this an insult to a true gay rights activist like Lady Gaga, but it insults every gay man and woman on this planet.

Madonna is one of the major reasons for AIDS. Back in the 1980’s, she encouraged gay men to have unprotected sex. While she certainly didn’t start the disease, she and her lack of morals helped it spread.

Please rethink your choice of having Madonna as a presenter. If you don’t, we Little Monsters will strike back in a way you won’t like.

Sincerely,

Lady Gaga’s Little Monsters

This letter is tragic. Not just because, ironically, it exhumes from the 1980s the homophobic insinuation that gay men’s sexual proclivities wrought the AIDS epidemic.

It’s tragic because it shows a lack of knowledge of pop music history. And in this case, pop music history is linked to political history. Lady Gaga arrived on the scene about half a decade after same-sex marriage did. (Massachusetts became the first state to allow it in 2004.) To suggest the bravery of her social justice contributions somehow surpasses that of Madonna, whose biography is drenched in gay culture, is to reveal oneself as an LGBT “activist” with no grasp of LGBT media history. And anyone with a supposed passion for something has a responsibility to understand its roots, whether that requires tracing back a music sample from a song or appreciating the sentiment behind a political statement.

So for those just joining the program, here's the super-condensed version of Madonna's connections to the gay world: Christopher Flynn, her ballet instructor and oft-cited mentor, immersed a teenage Madonna in the arts – and the gay discos of Detroit, where she honed her street moves and an attitude one MAC makeup shade away from that of a boa-whipping Motor City drag queen. At Flynn’s suggestion Madonna moved to NYC to become a professional dancer; she became a first-rate couch-surfer, living off popcorn and the kindness of strangers while she eked out a living through nude modeling and gigs with ragtag punk bands. She spent her days shacking up with edgy artists like good pal Keith Haring. She spent her nights at gay clubs, shopping her pop-dance demo tapes from DJ to DJ. Often in tow was her gay younger brother, Christopher, who eventually became her tour designer.

Madonna’s pavement pounding paid off, and she used her newfound notoriety to achieve greater visibility for the LGBT community that fostered her fame. At the height of ‘80s-era homophobia, she actually celebrated the effeminacies of her most flamboyant dancers in her music videos, live shows and movies: particularly her tour documentary Truth or Dare, which in typically histrionic fashion depicted her as a messianic mama rescuing gay crew, like stray cats, from familial abandonment and a cruel, hostile world. She specifically engaged queer people of color; “Vogue” was inspired by a dance movement derived from the African- and Latino-American gay club scene. And after watching friends like Haring and Flynn succumb to the epidemic, Madonna became an early and outspoken AIDS activist, using benefit concerts and television PSAs to educate about the disease and its stigma. Her Like a Prayer album came packaged with a fact sheet about AIDS and safe sex guidelines, and she used a pro-condom message to open her famous Sex book, which depicted her engaged with (and/or assisting) every combination of genders in various states of titillating tomfoolery.

The public outcry over Sex, her album Erotica and its accompanying MTV-banned music videos, all heavily influenced by the leather and fetish clubs of the NYC underground, marked the end of Madonna's most overtly sexual oeuvre. By extension, her more obvious tributes to gay culture grew tamer: think guest spots on Will & Grace and her painful "best pal comedy" with Rupert Everett, The Next Best Thing. No matter. The commitment was clear.

And that is why what's good for the goose isn't always good for the Gaga. It's sweet when younger pop stars stick up for gay rights, but in an age that requires little moxie to do so, it can also smack of condescension.

Madonna's recent appearance is not unimpugnable either. Like everything she does, it was mostly about herself. It's obvious she is as much interested in wresting back the gay icon crown from younger stars as she is in furthering any particular cause. As always, whether you find her unique brand of childlike narcissism to be more charming than offensive is a matter of taste.

And her speech about bullying and Boy Scouts sort of meandered between pro-gay bullet points strung together by blown kisses. It was heartfelt, but heavy-handed. Madonna knows that in the age of Twitter, subtlety doesn't work. "Express Yourself" needs to become "Born This Way."

By Madonna’s standards, Saturday's appearance was a touch... reductive. But hey, at least by now she’s earned the right to steal from her own catalogue.

Guest Rachelle of London

There's a thread about this...think its called Little Monsters Strike Again

they are such vile idiots these Monsters I swear

It's a news story, Acko. This is a forum about Madonna. Just because YOU aren't interested doesn't mean other people aren't.

News (questionably so), but OLD news. It's so stupid and pointless I'm not even sure it warrants ANY discussion.

I do agree there is already a thread about this. You know what I was gonna write something but I can't. They set out to ruin Madonna's reputation with her own fans. By "they" I mean people in the music industry. Lady Gaga and her team have no respect for Madonna. It would take more than a one word critique about my work to turn against someone I truly love and admire. The fact that they had an influence on any of Madonna's fans is saddening.

I do agree there is already a thread about this. You know what I was gonna write something but I can't. They set out to ruin Madonna's reputation with her own fans. By "they" I mean people in the music industry. Lady Gaga and her team have no respect for Madonna. It would take more than a one word critique about my work to turn against someone I truly love and admire. The fact that they had an influence on any of Madonna's fans is saddening.

I think it's more the case that some people are retarded/feed off Internet drama.

Guest Rachelle of London

+1