Happy 24th Like a Prayer!

Guest groovyguy

Guest Rachelle of London

I've always said Like a Prayer could be considered one of the greatest songs of all time...even people that HATE Madonna love LAP

I agree. How can you top a song like that? It's got EVERYTHING that makes a song amazing.

This song wasn't written, it was born.

Guest Rachelle of London

Its amazing that this song crosses so many genres...its like a rock, gospel, soul pop song

The most amazing pop song ever... its uplifting without being cheesy. Even my str8 friends love it :lol:

and damn theres so many anniversaries this year.. american life, erotica, ROL, music, and wat else? :dramatic:

Um, all of her albums and singles? There are anniversaries every year!

Guest Fukujima

My favorite song ever AND the most beautiful pop song ever recorded.

whenever i listen to it or they play at the radio in the office i'm in a trance :inlove:

yes, happy anniversary LAP---------->doesn't rank in my Madonna all Time top 100 though...heehee...nevermind, still it's a great song :s98:

Such a tremendous time. I creamed my my pants when this song came out.

OKAY so this is the year 2 start a campaign 4 a 25th anniversary REMASTER!

Like that Gangbang Tarantino thing...someone make a page...

Mattress make artwork

START!!

What were people's reactions when this song came out?? I was only 8 or 9 so I don't really remember. Today, most feel this is her best song. I wonder how it was received back then (besides the fact that it was number 1...)

LIKE A PRAYER 25th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION BOX SET

Disc 1: Like a Prayer - the original legendary album remastered

Disc 2: Like a Prayer - B-sides, outtakes and demos (including "First is a Kiss", "Love Attack" and more)

Disc 3: Remixed Prayers - 1989 and 1990 remixes

Disc 4: Remixed Prayers - 2014 remixes

Disc 5 [blu-Ray/DVD]: Video and Live Prayers - all promo videos from the album and promo live performances (including "Express Yourself" from 1989 VMAs), plus highlights from the Blond Ambition World Tour 1990 including "Like a Prayer" and "Oh Father" from Paris concert

I remember this song cominig out like BOOM -- it was just everywhere. Everyone I knew loved it, the radio loved it, everyone owned the single, everyone knew every word. And then add in the Pepsi commercial and video controversy lol. A true M experience in every way!

LIKE A PRAYER 25th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL EDITION BOX SET

Disc 1: Like a Prayer - the original legendary album remastered

Disc 2: Like a Prayer - B-sides, outtakes and demos (including "First is a Kiss", "Love Attack" and more)

Disc 3: Remixed Prayers - 1989 and 1990 remixes

Disc 4: Remixed Prayers - 2014 remixes

Disc 5 [blu-Ray/DVD]: Video and Live Prayers - all promo videos from the album and promo live performances (including "Express Yourself" from 1989 VMAs), plus highlights from the Blond Ambition World Tour 1990 including "Like a Prayer" and "Oh Father" from Paris concert

:drama: :drama: :drama:

What were people's reactions when this song came out?? I was only 8 or 9 so I don't really remember. Today, most feel this is her best song. I wonder how it was received back then (besides the fact that it was number 1...)

Whyme, the reaction was fantastic. Apart from the controversy over the video clip, people just loved this song. Like a Prayer is just a truly great masterpiece that never seems to age. There has been lots of wonderful times to be a Madonna fan and this was definitely right up there. It seemed to establish her as a "stayer" as well. People have always tried to write Madonna off and when this was released they just had to crawl back into their nasty dungeons and sulk. The song and album were huge hits.

I never used to like LaP, like... I didn't dislike it but I didn't love it. But then as I got more into M and began to understand her life and her songwriting I really fell for it. Now, the opening "feels like.... home" is one of my top favourite things she's ever done in her 30 year career. It always pisses me off when people talk about how it's about blowjobs, because it is so rich. It's like about praying, but nah, it's about blowjobs, it's about sex, it's about herself as a child, as a woman, about her marriage, about her father, and then through all those things it's really about love, so I wind up thinking, in Madonna's open ended way of looking at things, maybe a song about love really is about God.