Secret Project

Nonoka

The biggest hack she's ever had the misfortune of collaborating with.

Oh and GOOD ONE Stevie boy making out to Pig Perez that it's not YOU YOURSELF leaking (selling to the highest bidder) all those god awful unflattering outakes from your M sessions.

Word.

Steven Klein's best only decent work comes when he's shooting MEN, unsurprisingly -his camera has no sympathy with women; it is always deeply unflattering, you only have to see how Gaga comes out in his Alejandro video (which I think is good, but she looks terrible), to see that he can't shoot women. Many of his images have a disturbing, deeply misogenistic quality about them that I dislike. All he does with Marge is shoot dreadful unflattering pictures and then digitally retouch them to fuck. We could all do that. He's not good enough to even kiss the shoes of Miesel or Ritts (rip). And whilst Miesel is still alive I find it baffling that Madonna would use him.

Guest Rachelle of London

Word.

Steven Klein's best only decent work comes when he's shooting MEN, unsurprisingly -his camera has no sympathy with women; it is always deeply unflattering, you only have to see how Gaga comes out in his Alejandro video (which I think is good, but she looks terrible), to see that he can't shoot women. Many of his images have a disturbing, deeply misogenistic quality about them that I dislike. All he does with Marge is shoot dreadful unflattering pictures and then digitally retouch them to fuck. We could all do that. He's not good enough to even kiss the shoes of Miesel or Ritts (rip). And whilst Miesel is still alive I find it baffling that Madonna would use him.

I agree, some of the pics he's taken of Madonna everyone goes on about how great they are, but to me they are awful. I dont know why she keeps working with him, there are plenty of other photographers that could do a better job

I know, I mean the last Meisel shoot wasn't their best together but still beats any of the substandard crap Klein churns out. It's probably the vile Kabbalah connection that keeps it going between them.

I know, I mean the last Meisel shoot wasn't their best together but still beats any of the substandard crap Klein churns out. It's probably the vile Kabbalah connection that keeps it going between them.

Wheels within wheels. There seems to be such a small clique of powerful 'creatives' utilised by the industry these days (conspiracies aside) and their careers and private lives are so interlinked, that you do wonder whether Madonna 'could' cut people like Klein and 'B' Akerlund loose, like they were just another Niki Haris or Shep Pettibone. Of course in practise she could utterly refuse to work with them. I just wonder whether she's as all powerful in this set up as she once was.

People wanna look fashion shoots that only flatter to model and kleins photos are not about that so fucking what?

I like them almost all.

This is diferent kind of shooting so i like it. Also..m obviously like his work. She wouldnt accept all those colaborations with him.

Future Lovers was great!

People wanna look fashion shoots that only flatter to model and kleins photos are not about that so fucking what?

I like them almost all.

This is diferent kind of shooting so i like it. Also..m obviously like his work. She wouldnt accept all those colaborations with him.

Future Lovers was great!

It has nothing to do with that -his intention obviously IS to flatter, because after he gets done with the shots, they get airbrushed to rid them of every flaw. What I'm saying is he's not very good at it; if he could flatter naturally, with lighting, angles etc. -if he was a great photographer in other words, all that airbrushing wouldn't be required. His photographs are brutal, homoerotic muscle worship; his successful shoots (though let's face it there are photographers who do that a lot better too) are of muscled underwear models.

Well for MDNA she used Mert and Markus and she looked beautiful , and they use all those lighting techniques to make her look the best

while klein usually has more concept in his work and probably develops it with M after their Kabbalah session

Klein has done so many things with M - that some of them were amazing and some of them were not so good. He can't be brilliant all the time. I am glad he is one of her frequent collaborators since he's 'pushing the envelope' quite often when it comes to photo shootings, even though it does mean that his models (no matter if it's fashion models or actors or Madonna) do not always look flattering or beautiful.

Je suis l'art.

Excuse me but i'm watching your sig & avatar and i have to ask you, do you have the video of this performance of Dress you up at Keith Haring party of life ?!? Because in the excerpt that has leaked to this day (from the tv documentary) there isn't the part that you show on your sig where she puts her head in her hands. I already wanted to ask you when i saw your avatar pic last week, but now that i see the animated gif i really got to ask you lol !

I was gonna say the same thing. Where's video of that?

With Klein, when he's great he's awesome, when he's bad he's awful. The only 2 shoots from him that were just horrendous were the Blame it on Rio and H&M adverts (yes, Madonna looked gorgeous, but the shoot itself was completely uninspired and rushed.)

Don't even bring up the HC shoot. The 2 redeeming sets of her as the ice queen and the boxing ring were quite lovely.

Everything else before that was lush.

Especially COADf.

88655349.png

Digital photography is all about post production work. If a photographer was aiming to get a certain look on the camera, then he should just shot with film!

Miesel sucks ass. His shit is just as airbrushed as Kelin's, if not even worse.

I think Klein's work is hit or miss...but overall I like it. He did the opening segments of The RIT (The Beast Within) and Future Lovers (CT), right? And he did the video as well? I think those two pieces are absolutely brilliant...and some of M's most iconic 'artistic' moments. The confessions visuals were great too.

I would say that Mert and Marcus's work (The Interview Mag spread - which is, to me, one of her best shoots of her entire career, the MDNA art, GGW video, etc.) are visually more appealing... but I think Klein works for very specific "concept" heavy projects that require that harsher, more masculine feel...esp. in video (not so much still photography).

...as for "homoerotic muscle worship...muscled underwear models"...what's wrong with that? ;)

Edited by VogueMusic

I am also team klien! I am currently a third year "mature age- how depressing:)" photography student and I adore the concepts that Klien puts into all of his work. I would rather see a photograph that challenges the mind then the usual Madonna looks so pretty- how boring and tripe! I wish Madonna would even go further with her photography experimentation and Klien ( see bjork:).

And I can assure you that any fashion photographer who states that it is all lighting etc and not Photoshop is a liar. To the trained eye I can assure you that the m and m ( who i also adore) shoot has also been photoshopped.

Baby, u don't like Miesel? He gave us so many iconic M shoots and images.

Oh I do. Just only 80's and 90's Miesel. The 2008 Vanity Fair shoot I didn't really care for.

This looked like a pencil drawing:

madgevf.jpg

unflattering?

010.jpg?m=1334876729

to much airbrushed?

r11.jpg?m=1334875058

not good good lighting?

003_Steven_Klein_%2528110%2529.jpg?m=1334875068

homoerotic?

r081.jpg?m=1334875347

this was bad?

MarieAntoinetteouttake026.jpg?m=1334875255

well

i like it

Love all these. I have always loved her work w Klein. The RIT stills and vids were brilliant.

^ Wow, they're like, to use Madonna's term The Readers Digest version of what "arty" is. Utterly amazing in their banality. Somehow he manages to make Madonna look like she's playing dress-up rather than actually inhabiting the frame with any sort of essence of her (nothing at all to do with not being "pretty or airbrushed" thanks)

Guest Not4Pussies

Oh I do. Just only 80's and 90's Miesel. The 2008 Vanity Fair shoot I didn't really care for.

This looked like a pencil drawing:

madgevf.jpg

but that VF 2008 cover is amazing.

and i liked the 2008 LV Ad Campaign

^ Wow, they're like, to use Madonna's term The Readers Digest version of what "arty" is. Utterly amazing in their banality. Somehow he manages to make Madonna look like she's playing dress-up rather than actually inhabiting the frame with any sort of essence of her (nothing at all to do with not being "pretty or airbrushed" thanks)

Isn't that what most Madonna photo shoots have been, her playing dress up?

His gritty n raw aesthetic is beyond tired.

Let's hope the Secret Project (:chuckle:) is something completely new and different, not another ill fitting fringe wig, rubber gloves & a straight jacket

Isn't that what most Madonna photo shoots have been, her playing dress up?

I thought the whole set was called "The Performer" or something.....at least the ones where she's around the bed, on the pole, etc. I think the point of the series IS that she is playing dress up...they are a raw take on the backstage life of a performance artist, she isn't supposed to blend, they are intended to be gritty and raw, obvious wigs, wig caps, dramatic costumes....at least that is how I have always understood it.

Madonna Unbound, Madonna Rides Again, ReInvention, Confessions on a Dance Floor were all great shoots by Klein.

Agreed. I like his style, the gritty, raw vibe. I much prefer it to any of the MDNA sets or other over-processed photo sets she has released.