Is it a year yet since Guy said 'Ask me in a year's time'?

jonski43

I think she should give what people learned to expect from her. In the last 30 years she was know for being different from the rest. MDNA has those songs that follow the daring path: Gang Bang, I'm Addicted and Love Spent. All those song are are what the public wants from Madonna: provocative, sexy, thoughtful.

I think she should give what people learned to expect from her. In the last 30 years she was know for being different from the rest. MDNA has those songs that follow the daring path: Gang Bang, I'm Addicted and Love Spent. All those song are are what the public wants from Madonna: provocative, sexy, thoughtful.

:thumbsup:

Didn't he say something like "we are still learning" in response to the mess up with the single releases?

How long has worked in the industry? :chuckle:

I know, right? What are you "still learning" about? How to cultivate good taste in music so you can help the biggest artist of all time release the best songs of her album?

Beautifully stated.

We're all meant to be celebrating the $300 million tour payday. The recording career and the legacy clearly doesn't matter.

Yes, but it's not like the tour is just about performing her greatest hits just like the record like the Rolling Stones do. It's a huge grossing tour, but it's also one of her most artistic tours ever. I really believe the MDNA tour will cement her legacy as one of her most artistic and moving tours ever. Sticky and Sweet actually grossed more and had more hits, but the MDNA tour touched me emotionally much more, I will never forget the two shows I saw in DC ever. It was the two best nights of my life. It goes so much deeper than just about grossing how many millions of dollars. I really believe this tour cemented her legacy as the most amazing live performer that has ever lived.

I'm guessing that he was referring to the "concert ticket sale before the album release" strategy that, one year after Madonna's triumphant SB halftime, Beyonce is following the exact same strategy with her tour immediately following her SB performance?

I'm really hoping that now that all her products have been launched, its just brand maintenance from here on out.

Do you really think he would say that? Guy Oseary is a corporate mess. He would never be real with the fans. Since day one this project was 100% tour. She doesnt has a label anymore to care about album sales. LN wants the tour money and she delivers. Guy Oseary is just there negociating the tour income and containing the furious fans blatantly bullshitting on the internet.

well then they have to be prepared that numbers for the tour will fall if she cant be arsed to produce a hit album, she still remains somewhat of a "current" act meaning people want to see her because of her latest music, shes not in Rolling Stones territory yet with regards to touring.

I really couldn't agree with you more.

The fact that the sentence "We're still learning..." even came out of Guy O's mouth speaks volumes on what "their" idea of the state of Pop music, at least in the US.

So a year after, she had the top selling tour of 2012. Did anyone doubt she'd NOT do that?

The strategy for the singles was clear: Get #1's on the dance chart. I love GGW and TUTR, but I'm Addicted, LS, or GB would've made it to #1 on the dance charts too.

I'm not really even disappointed in this era. I love the tour, the album as a whole, and the videos were at least made with effort.

But, as a fan going to see a Madonna concert with 20,000 other people, its nice when everyone has a clue what the new songs are.

There were many other ways to do NTP with or without Madonna's participation... Lyric videos for Vevo, publishing the MDNA covershoot in a fashion mag (which mystifies me why they didn't do this), etc. Hell, all those fan made videos were so interesting and well done that they should've at least shared them on M's youtube channel.

But oh well, I'm hoping that they're not "still learning" for the next album.

I'm guessing that he was referring to the "concert ticket sale before the album release" strategy that, one year after Madonna's triumphant SB halftime, Beyonce is following the exact same strategy with her tour immediately following her SB performance?

I'm really hoping that now that all her products have been launched, its just brand maintenance from here on out.

I hope so, but aren't they launching more shit products this year? I thought I saw something on another thread.

The song was the reason of the epic floppage! I found some data from National Call Out, a company that provides call out research services in North America, and the results for Give Me All Your Luvin were awful. If you own a business, you don't do something that your clients hate. The same with radio stations. They will not play a song that the public hates while there are plenty of other songs that test well. If you were the program/music director of your local pop station, you wouldn't play the song either even though you love Madonna. It's your job. If you tried to play it then your boss would come and say what the hell you're doing. You are fired.

Look at the numbes.

2/17/2012 http://lnk.nu/mmr247.com/2b27.asp

2/24/2012 http://lnk.nu/mmr247.com/2b28.asp

3/2/2012 http://lnk.nu/mmr247.com/2b29.asp

When you get such embarrassing numbers there's nothing you can do to save the project. If you look at the numbers, the public was very familiar with the song because it was forced down everyone's throat. Shame this did not happen with Hung Up. In my opinion, one of the reasons Hung Up did not get good scores was because in many cases it was not given the chance to be heard. But of course the main reason was that dance was totally dead back then. It did quite well and had longevity under difficult circumstances. Top20 on two radio formats (Hot AC and POP) and no1 on i-tunes for 2 weeks. Back then most dance songs couldn't even crack the top40 on pop radio. Well, maybe only Cascada! lol

Next time we need an epic memorable lead single that has Madonna written all over it and if they do the phenomenal promo they did for GMAYL in the US, it will be at least a moderate hit. And please do some testing before releasing the song! It is simple! LMFAO was the hottest thing back then, they had 2 HUGE singles, but if you look at the list their 3rd single had the same dreadful numbers with GMAYL and flopped too!

Sorry but this is bull. MDNA was a big flop by her standards. FFS even crappie Kylie album outsold her in the UK and she dint even make top 30 of he year! Some fans are so in denial. We all delighted in calling Michael Jackson Invincible album a flop yet it's a mammoth hit compared to MDNA. Luckily the tour saved her this era thank fuck.

And to keep blaming GMAYL is lazy. GGW which you all praised to death flopped horribly too, and radio refused to play it.

Then you all said TUTR was the big single and it became the biggest flop of her entire career. So don't tell me Radio will play her if she has decent single, they will not unless by sme miracle she gets a big htit without them. It's not that radio hate her or are jealous of her, it's simply that there is now an agenda by radio programmers to allow today's youth to define their own era. No one over 45 has a chance in the singles chart except the odd novelty, especially WOMEN over 45. M simply has to do promo to make up for the lack of radio play...at east n the UK. In the US she needs bribery/payola because that country is corrupt as fuck.

Take with a full glass of water.

UPJ00940.jpg

The song was the reason of the epic floppage! I found some data from National Call Out, a company that provides call out research services in North America, and the results for Give Me All Your Luvin were awful.

I am not at all surprised. It sounds like she wrote it while she was half asleep. I still do like the video though - it was entertaining.

Hopefully, we will get an epic lead single next time. I want something along the majestic lines of "Frozen". I do like "4 Minutes" but it never did translate well live, and I'd like a song that sounds killer on the radio as well as in the arena.

Wow! To see that data is really interesting. After the negative reaction to the leak of the demo and this feedback, they were absolutely mad to release the song. Geez.

Is there any data for GGW or TUTR? I'd be interested to see how they went down!

PS: when did Guy say 'ask me in a year'?

Guest Rachelle of London

The song was the reason of the epic floppage! I found some data from National Call Out, a company that provides call out research services in North America, and the results for Give Me All Your Luvin were awful. If you own a business, you don't do something that your clients hate. The same with radio stations. They will not play a song that the public hates while there are plenty of other songs that test well. If you were the program/music director of your local pop station, you wouldn't play the song either even though you love Madonna. It's your job. If you tried to play it then your boss would come and say what the hell you're doing. You are fired.

Look at the numbes.

2/17/2012 http://lnk.nu/mmr247.com/2b27.asp

2/24/2012 http://lnk.nu/mmr247.com/2b28.asp

3/2/2012 http://lnk.nu/mmr247.com/2b29.asp

When you get such embarrassing numbers there's nothing you can do to save the project. If you look at the numbers, the public was very familiar with the song because it was forced down everyone's throat. Shame this did not happen with Hung Up. In my opinion, one of the reasons Hung Up did not get good scores was because in many cases it was not given the chance to be heard. But of course the main reason was that dance was totally dead back then. It did quite well and had longevity under difficult circumstances. Top20 on two radio formats (Hot AC and POP) and no1 on i-tunes for 2 weeks. Back then most dance songs couldn't even crack the top40 on pop radio. Well, maybe only Cascada! lol

Next time we need an epic memorable lead single that has Madonna written all over it and if they do the phenomenal promo they did for GMAYL in the US, it will be at least a moderate hit. And please do some testing before releasing the song! It is simple! LMFAO was the hottest thing back then, they had 2 HUGE singles, but if you look at the list their 3rd single had the same dreadful numbers with GMAYL and flopped too!

Thanks for this!

I am not at all surprised. It sounds like she wrote it while she was half asleep. I still do like the video though - it was entertaining.

GMAYL is an awful song, her vocal delivery is flat, the production is dire and the lyrics are some of her worst.

Rhyming "you wanna" with "Madonna" "We can drink some wine burgundy is fine" :rolleyes:

Well below her usual standard and definitely not lead single material.

OMG we have been complaining about this for a WHOLE YEAR ????!!! That's 365 days of complaining ! LOL

I don't remember his exact quote, but to me NTP meant not necessarily promoting the album and singles but her and her "brand" and THAT they did. The only thing remotely "floptastic" about this era are the single performances. Despite it's unpopularity, GMAYL wasn't a total bomb either. Assessing it's performance around the world, it was definitely a moderate hit at the worst. YES markm.....I know it was the biggest most awful piece of music ever forced onto the UK public and it performed accordingly. ;)/> But it wasn't a massive flop everywhere by any means. No, I'm not using that as justification for it being the best choice as lead single, just bringing perspective to the situation since so many things seem to be taken out of context regarding that song and the performance of the album in general.

I do find it interesting that Beyonce is following Madonna's footsteps to the tee in regards to her SB performance then the tour announcement. Even more interesting that (if I'm not mistaken) she's not promoting anything with this tour. No singles, no album, just BEYONCE the performer. Apparently, she's doing quite well too. To me, this is just another example of how the industry is gravitating toward promoting their artists on the strength of live performance vs. the traditional release a single, promote, release the album, go on tour months later. So....question is......what kind of MELTDOWN would ensue if Madonna did this?? I mean, just deciding to tour with nothing to promote. I definitely see something like this in her and a lot of other artists future as album sales and traditional methods of promo become more and more useless.

EDIT: Ok...so I should've looked more thoroughly before posting, but apparently B does have an album coming out this year. Still, though....like Madonna and the past couple tours, it seems like she is approaching this in a way that the tour is the centerpiece of the "era" vs. the album. The tour starts in April and the album doesn't even have a title or release date yet from what I gather so....very NTP-ish!

I noticed too that Beyonce tickets went on sale right after the super bowl appearance. I'm guessing that they knew Madonna did the same thing last year and was successful.

I think that maybe she might tour without new music later in her career, but not soon. My guess is Madonna will always play her latest material on tour even if the album and single sales drop big time. Her performing some of her older material is like pulling out teeth for the woman.

Good point about all the clothes, perfume etc being the NTP. That hadn't occurred to me but perhaps that means it didn't work. Many of us saw this stuff as money grabbing and it didn't appear to have an effect on the music sales e.g. GGW on the perfume ad but it still bombed.

I hope so, but aren't they launching more shit products this year? I thought I saw something on another thread.

I meant brand launch. They'll release new product each season, but the branding has now been established. Unless they're thinking of launching horse stables and a real estate firm, I think she's tapped out for branding. LOL

They should see tv performances or things like that like a way to promote the artist, not the album, and remind people that Madonna is great. We KNOW she's great, but main public forgets soon. That's why it's important to do a couple of big-bang-zalakaboom performances on tv, a couple of "oh, i'm so relaxed with you and laugh a lot" interviews and at lest ONE "it's so deep this conversation, what a moment" interview. It doesn't take so much time.

You are very right.

Beyoncé is coming out with a new album but Kurt's point stands. Putting the tour tickets up the day after the SB was way more useful than releasing an album.

I meant brand launch. They'll release new product each season, but the branding has now been established. Unless they're thinking of launching horse stables and a real estate firm, I think she's tapped out for branding. LOL

Is the brand that established? I've not seen any mention of her ToD products outside of this forum such as the general press or magazines.