Is it a year yet since Guy said 'Ask me in a year's time'?

jonski43

M herself has said that shes bad at choosing lead singles, and she's always left it for WB to choose the lead single. M also wanted Candy Shop to be the lead single for HC loool. Its like the people at Interscope never even listened to the album, I think they heavily relied on the fact that Nicki Minaj was on the track to push sales

Source? I don't believe she always leaves it to WB to choose the lead single. In recent years, maybe, but you think WB chose "Erotica"? "American Life"? Hell no. She said during a ROL interview that sometimes she has a strong opinion about what the first single should be and other times she goes with what the label recommends. In the case of ROL, it seems like people urged her to go with "Frozen" (I'm guessing she probably would have gone with ROL first).

In the case of GMAYL, it was clear that was her choice. I'm sure Interscope was fine with it once Nicki was added to the track, but to be fair, what other options did they have on the album? They knew they needed a song with a guest artist and IDGA was obviously out. I personally would have put Nicki on TUTR and gone with that as the first single.

Chelle is absolutely right.

And let's make something clear once and for all: MDNA wasn't a flop album. Just check the numbers.

The only thing that flopped in this era were the singles. Not because Madonna is "old", not because radio is jealous of her success (?), they flopped because they're not single material and GMAYL sank the boat.

:queenbitch:/>

Sorry but this is bull. MDNA was a big flop by her standards. FFS even crappie Kylie album outsold her in the UK and she dint even make top 30 of he year! Some fans are so in denial. We all delighted in calling Michael Jackson Invincible album a flop yet it's a mammoth hit compared to MDNA. Luckily the tour saved her this era thank fuck.

And to keep blaming GMAYL is lazy. GGW which you all praised to death flopped horribly too, and radio refused to play it.

Then you all said TUTR was the big single and it became the biggest flop of her entire career. So don't tell me Radio will play her if she has decent single, they will not unless by sme miracle she gets a big htit without them. It's not that radio hate her or are jealous of her, it's simply that there is now an agenda by radio programmers to allow today's youth to define their own era. No one over 45 has a chance in the singles chart except the odd novelty, especially WOMEN over 45. M simply has to do promo to make up for the lack of radio play...at east n the UK. In the US she needs bribery/payola because that country is corrupt as fuck.

Sorry but this is bull. MDNA was a big flop by her standards. FFS even crappie Kylie album outsold her in the UK and she dint even make top 30 of he year! Some fans are so in denial. We all delighted in calling Michael Jackson Invincible album a flop yet it's a mammoth hit compared to MDNA. Luckily the tour saved her this era thank fuck.

And to keep blaming GMAYL is lazy. GGW which you all praised to death flopped horribly too, and radio refused to play it.

Then you all said TUTR was the big single and it became the biggest flop of her entire career. So don't tell me Radio will play her if she has decent single, they will not unless by sme miracle she gets a big htit without them. It's not that radio hate her or are jealous of her, it's simply that there is now an agenda by radio programmers to allow today's youth to define their own era. No one over 45 has a chance in the singles chart except the odd novelty, especially WOMEN over 45. M simply has to do promo to make up for the lack of radio play...at east n the UK. In the US she needs bribery/payola because that country is corrupt as fuck.

Take a pill. Jesus Christ.

I personally wouldn't call MDNA a flop, more like a disappointment. But you're comparing an album from 2001 to an album from 2012, when sales have plummeted? Christina Aguilera's album is a better comparison. It came out around the same time, she's young, had a huge hit show as a platform, and her album still sold less than MDNA. If MDNA had been released 10 years earlier, I'm sure it would have sold as well as Invincible.

And how is blaming GMAYL lazy? What else is there to blame? I personally trashed GGW at the time. (I prefer it better than GMAYL now, but at the time I thought it was utter trash.) And she could have released the equivalent of "Vogue" as the third single and it would have flopped. She's at the point in her career where if the lead single doesn't hit, the door is closed. I firmly believe TUTR could have done well as the lead single - especially if they put Nicki on it. At the very least, it would have done better than GMAYL and probably would have been a smash worldwide.

Guest Rachelle of London

First off calm down, secondly, as I previously stated Radio 2, which has one of the biggest radio audience in the UK, an average of 13million listeners a week, added Masterpiece to their playlists and it wasnt even released as a single. You "blaming" radio is the same as you calling us out for "blaming" GMAYL. In the UK Madonna has had numerous hit singles over the age of 45, even American Life was in the Top 3 so you cannot call that the "odd novelty"

Rollap, the world (except USA) had no problem playing HU, S, GT, J, 4M, GI2M, MA and Celebration. So, yes, I don't buy the "old" excuse.

As vocalism says, the lead single is make it or break it for her. If she puts out a great song, radio will play it (Idk about USA radio).

I firmly believe TUTR could have done well as the lead single - especially if they put Nicki on it. At the very least, it would have done better than GMAYL and probably would have been a smash worldwide.

The delusion on this forum never ceases to amaze me

Guest Rachelle of London

The delusion on this forum never ceases to amaze me

Are you even a Madonna fan? How is someone stating that they believe a song would've worked well as a lead single delusion? Just because you were proven wrong you had to resort to insulting people...

Are you even a Madonna fan? How is someone stating that they believe a song would've worked well as a lead single delusion? Just because you were proven wrong you had to resort to insulting people...

Don't even chelle. We all know this discussion is pointless. Someone needs a reality check on album sales.

Ok so to say anything negative is to be a non-fan? Whatever.

The delusion was in thinking that a massive flop like TUTR would have been a big international hit if it was released as lead single. That is delusional. As is the theory that MDNA didn't flop. I love MDNA but it flopped.

Guest bluejean

I think Guy is to blame in that, he listens to M and obviously counts her as a friend, while I get the impression that her other managers were a lot firmer with her than Guy is.

That's why she has him as her manager :lol: So she can do what she wants.

Guest bluejean

Fans blaming Guy haven't been paying attention because its clearly Madonna who doesn't want to do promo and all that. Imo Guy's only mistake is answering to Madonna's psychotic fans on Twitter. If he ignored them he wouldn't have egg on his face now.

He twisted her arm to do Superbowl, Ellen, various other interviews plus a video for Turn Up The Radio. What more can he do?

And the 21 sold the same amount as the 16. If it had sold only 400 thousand copies more it would be top 10.

That's how you can see how fragile the album market is. MDNA did not flop. Ask Christina Aguilera what flop is.

Having the 21st best selling album of the year world wide with no promotion or hits!!!!!??? WHAT A FLOP! :lol:

Spare me. Yes it didnt become a mega hit, but its obviously not a flop.

And I agree. Ask Christina and her last two albums to tell you about what a flop is. MDNA even outsold Femme Fatale globally and that had a handful of big hits in the US.

Having the 21st best selling album of the year world wide with no promotion or hits!!!!!??? WHAT A FLOP! :lol:

Spare me. Yes it didnt become a mega hit, but its obviously not a flop.

And I agree. Ask Christina and her last two albums to tell you about what a flop is. MDNA even outsold Femme Fatale globally and that had a handful of big hits in the US.

Fact.

Also, the IFPI list may have MDNA higher since it is based on shipments and superstars regularly ship more than lesser known acts. I am not going to wager that it is Top 10, but hopefully higher than the Media Traffic chart.

First off calm down, secondly, as I previously stated Radio 2, which has one of the biggest radio audience in the UK, an average of 13million listeners a week, added Masterpiece to their playlists and it wasnt even released as a single. You "blaming" radio is the same as you calling us out for "blaming" GMAYL. In the UK Madonna has had numerous hit singles over the age of 45, even American Life was in the Top 3 so you cannot call that the "odd novelty"

Masterpiece should have been the first single... and since it wasn't should have been the second single as Radio Stations were playing it all over the world. Then GGW would be third single and TUTR fourth and that would have worked really fine and Masterpiece would have been the best selling single and greatest airplay single from this album.