Is it a year yet since Guy said 'Ask me in a year's time'?

jonski43

Guy said that we should ask him in a year about how his NTP would change the game :s98:

So, when did he say it and who's going to ask him about how the 2 twitter chats and 1 facebook chat changed the face of music promotion?

So, when did he say it and who's going to ask him about how the 2 twitter chats and 1 facebook chat changed the face of music promotion?

:lol:

I really thought when he said the tour would promote the album that they really had some big ass plan where there would be live shows shown on the net in certain places, or live TV broadcasts of the tour in each country they went to or something. I dont know. SOMETHING. Maybe on the front page of youtube, "WATCH MADONNA'S MDNA TOUR LIVE AT HER OFFICIAL CHANNEL!" with a countdown ticker to when it would begin. SOMETHING. In the end we got nothing.... Promo wise.

I would love to know the behind the scenes thought process that went into all of this. Unless he was just bullshitting us. If so he could have just been honest and said, "Look, albums dont sell anymore except in rare fluke occassions like Adele. Madonna's bread and butter is with touring now so instead of taking time going around the globe for interviews and performances just to sell a few thousand more copies of an album we are going to focus on creating a fantastic tour for the fans that will bring the album to life."

I do hope for her next album though she does go the traditional route more. Not because I really care how much she sells since like I said for 99.9% of most artists album sales are in the crapper. But because I love having new Madonna interviews and TV performances to look forward to.

I will never forget when Madonna was already busy rehearsing and Guy was desperate to promote the album and he said "We are brainstorming some ideas to promote the album during the tour" :lmao:

Oh well!

The Super Bowl tie-in was the only successful promotional tool, really. It was a brilliant move to launch the tour (and get a good opening week for the album) but it was hardly a long-term promotional strategy. I think he was just talking out his ass. No one is going to copy MDNA's promo plan if they want to have a successful record. I guess you could say Beyonce did, but not really.

I would love to know the behind the scenes thought process that went into all of this. Unless he was just bullshitting us. If so he could have just been honest and said, "Look, albums dont sell anymore except in rare fluke occassions like Adele. Madonna's bread and butter is with touring now so instead of taking time going around the globe for interviews and performances just to sell a few thousand more copies of an album we are going to focus on creating a fantastic tour for the fans that will bring the album to life."

Do you really think he would say that? Guy Oseary is a corporate mess. He would never be real with the fans. Since day one this project was 100% tour. She doesnt has a label anymore to care about album sales. LN wants the tour money and she delivers. Guy Oseary is just there negociating the tour income and containing the furious fans blatantly bullshitting on the internet.

They should see tv performances or things like that like a way to promote the artist, not the album, and remind people that Madonna is great. We KNOW she's great, but main public forgets soon. That's why it's important to do a couple of big-bang-zalakaboom performances on tv, a couple of "oh, i'm so relaxed with you and laugh a lot" interviews and at lest ONE "it's so deep this conversation, what a moment" interview. It doesn't take so much time.

Did she give at least interviews for magazines this time? I don't recall reading a Madonna interview in the Spanish magazines, and normally there was at least one for El País Semanal or XL Semanal.

Guest Rachelle of London

Well Madonna herself said she wanted to take the time to rehearse for the tour rather than promote the album even though her manager was begging her to do regular promo. But I guess the tour was a huge success so.....

Next time I do want some old fashioned regular promo. I missed the magazine shoots and TV appearances

Does she not see she can and should do both. She forced the tour through so quickly they had no clue what songs were going to be big - look at the way Love Spent was shoehorned in halfway through. If promoed, released the album partway through the promo, got at least two/three singles out of the way before the tour began rehearsals. Even GGW was squashed in round the tour - notice all the outfits are recycled from the tour costumes.

Guest Rachelle of London

Wasn't there supposed to be some appearances on Latin American television shows and whatnot?

yeah I remember that, maybe they were scrapped because M started to get quite ill in S America

Guy O ruined her legacy. He should be ashamed of himself. But I guess Madonna was arrogant enough to think she could get away with no promo. But then again no one could predict the degree of floppage this era achieved (bar the tour). Hope she learned her lesson. At the same time I'm beyond disgusted at how UK radio and MTV has actively tired to bury her. There's this obsession with youth right now and a forced agenda to try and give the youngsters a chance to define the modern music scene. But it is forced.

Guest Rachelle of London

Guy O ruined her legacy. He should be ashamed of himself. But I guess Madonna was arrogant enough to think she could get away with no promo. But then again no one could predict the degree of floppage this era achieved (bar the tour). Hope she learned her lesson. At the same time I'm beyond disgusted at how UK radio and MTV has actively tired to bury her. There's this obsession with youth right now and a forced agenda to try and give the youngsters a chance to define the modern music scene. But it is forced.

I have to disagree, if Guy O didnt insist we wouldn't of got the Superbowl performance, she wouldnt of recorded Masterpiece thus not winning the Golden Globe. He even wants her to come onstage earlier which has been the thing that every media outlet across the world has written negatively about the MDNA tour's late starts. Guy can only do so much, if Madonna doesn't wanna do promo than that is up to her. Something tells me he even "tricked her" into doing those Twitter chats. I agree this era could've been handled a lot better but I think the management team did what they had to do. Interscope on the other hand....

I really do believe that if MDNA had a solid single than it would've been more of a hit within the UK and radio would've been all over it. Masterpiece wasnt even released yet it was the most requested song in Radio 2s history. More people listen to Radio 2 than Radio 1. Its only been 3 years since M got a Number 3 with Celebration so I dont think the interest both publically and media wise has diminished in her at all. All she needs is a proper single.

Chelle is absolutely right.

And let's make something clear once and for all: MDNA wasn't a flop album. Just check the numbers.

The only thing that flopped in this era were the singles. Not because Madonna is "old", not because radio is jealous of her success (?), they flopped because they're not single material and GMAYL sank the boat.

:queenbitch:

^ Right, but that's not necessarily Interscope's fault. She clearly wanted GMAYL to be the first single. And they did follow up with a second single quicker than WB ever would have - before the album even dropped.

I think Guy O. is probably in a tough position. I bet he would love for her to do traditional promotion, but the fact is Madonna has her agenda and only promotes what she wants - like W.E. or her perfume. We may not know the whole story. I do, however, fault him because he talks up this NTP shit like he's reinventing the wheel and then nothing materializes. Tell us straight-up, Guy! Don't try to pull the promotional wool over our eyes.

I am glad she did 3 videos (and all were pretty good, although TUTR could've been a little better in the editing department).

So, when did he say 'ask him in a year'. Was it when the album dropped or after Superbowl?

If you look at how GMAYL actually performed chartwise round the world, it did OK in general (exlcuding the UK) but it took time to reach its chart peaks. The biggest mistake was not releasing the single on promo and to the clubs beforehand to build the hype and get people used to this fun track. As soon as it tanked in the UK and other major markets, they panicked and released GGW only four weeks later! Once again, no promos or servicing to clubs to build interest and an actual release date to iTunes that was all over the place. Two messed up single releases killed the project.

Guest Rachelle of London

^ Right, but that's not necessarily Interscope's fault. She clearly wanted GMAYL to be the first single. And they did follow up with a second single quicker than WB ever would have - before the album even dropped.

M herself has said that shes bad at choosing lead singles, and she's always left it for WB to choose the lead single. M also wanted Candy Shop to be the lead single for HC loool. Its like the people at Interscope never even listened to the album, I think they heavily relied on the fact that Nicki Minaj was on the track to push sales

I think Guy is to blame in that, he listens to M and obviously counts her as a friend, while I get the impression that her other managers were a lot firmer with her than Guy is. But not in that any of this is his idea, it's fairly obvious M seems to have reached a point where she just expects... something. I'm not sure what because it's clearly not huge chart success. But I think she's very comfortable in her position as an icon.

:thumbsup:

And also, let's not pretend Madonna doesn't care to have #1's hits anymore. Obviously this is a very important part of the game for her. She said SO many times how much happy and proud she gets when her songs are hits even if she already has dozens of them. Madonna always wants to be a current artist.

This is the first time since her first album she doesn't have at least 1 Top 2 hit and 2 Top 10 hits worldwide. Of course she wasn't happy with that. But she's Madonna, she's not gonna be crying on stage and asking people to love her. FORWARD!

Guest Rachelle of London

:thumbsup:

And also, let's not pretend Madonna doesn't care to have #1's hits anymore. Obviously this is a very important part of the game for her. She said SO many times how much happy and proud she gets when her songs are hits even if she already has dozens of them. Madonna always wants to be a current artist.

This is the first time since her first album she doesn't have at least 1 Top 2 hit and 2 Top 10 hits worldwide. Of course she wasn't happy with that. But she's Madonna, she's not gonna be crying on stage and asking people to love her. FORWARD!

I agree with both of you. I really do think M is going to come back with something completely different. i think the worldwide response to Masterpiece showed M that the world is really missing a more sophisticated M track. That's why I believe that these soundtrack rumours are true. I cannot wait for Ms new material though, we've all learnt not to underestimate M