"Everything from 'Everybody' "- Record Collector Magazine

freddykrueger86

I have the Spanish 12'' and I can tell you that the versions included on it are:

A: The UK 12'' Without the intro (That's the only different thing on it. It starts directly with the music)

B: The UK 7'' Dub

Excellent thanks. I'm still trying to get hold of a copy but it's one of the hardest to find.

Excellent thanks. I'm still trying to get hold of a copy but it's one of the hardest to find.

There was one on a shop near my house. It was 15 €. If you want I can go there to see if they still have it and buy it for you.

There was one on a shop near my house. It was 15 €. If you want I can go there to see if they still have it and buy it for you.

That's very generous but I'll get it on ebay one day. I'm really fussy about condition etc!

Yeah, XXL, I did remind them of my previous Madonna cover feature from 2008 - their fastest selling issue in years - but new publisher = new rules for RC, which lately seems more heavily rock-centric, as I guess it's always kind of been anyways. But if anyone can trump M, I guess it's another legendary act and at least it's not Gaga ;-)

Thanks for all the LUV above guys - if y'all buy the magazine then maybe we'll get her on the cover for the next in-depth artiicle about her music ;-)

Wow :inlove:

Do you write regularly for such first-rate publications? :dramatic: I really can't wait to read your article, I am sure it's as great as your blog if not possibly more. I am so happy that you get to write about someone you appreciate like us and on such a publication. A luxury not for everyone

p.s. fuck the NEW publisher, please try and convince them to put Godonna back on the cover where she belongs :flirt:

Wow :inlove:

Do you write regularly for such first-rate publications? :dramatic: I really can't wait to read your article, I am sure it's as great as your blog if not possibly more. I am so happy that you get to write about someone you appreciate like us and on such a publication. A luxury not for everyone

p.s. fuck the NEW publisher, please try and convince them to put Godonna back on the cover where she belongs :flirt:

No, not at all. I'm a mere, mild-mannered communications manager by day, which means I'm a very busy boy and unfortunately I just don't have the time to write as much as I'd like to. Which also unfortunately means I have a ton of stuff un-published that I'm itching to get out there - I reckon I need to get myself an intern or something to sort me out! Thanks for your kind words (and to the rest of you who commented) As a Madonna fan for nearly 30 years, I just wanna try to give other fans the kind of thing I've been wanting to read myself for years. Unfortunately the majority of magazines and even book publishers don't generally think people are interested in reading about M's music in the way people are about someone like The Beatles. Hence the publisher's decision, which I respect, as magazines are getting harder and harder to sell these days - I'm just grateful they published my stuff in the first place.

No, not at all. I'm a mere, mild-mannered communications manager by day, which means I'm a very busy boy and unfortunately I just don't have the time to write as much as I'd like to. Which also unfortunately means I have a ton of stuff un-published that I'm itching to get out there - I reckon I need to get myself an intern or something to sort me out! Thanks for your kind words (and to the rest of you who commented) As a Madonna fan for nearly 30 years, I just wanna try to give other fans the kind of thing I've been wanting to read myself for years. Unfortunately the majority of magazines and even book publishers don't generally think people are interested in reading about M's music in the way people are about someone like The Beatles. Hence the publisher's decision, which I respect, as magazines are getting harder and harder to sell these days - I'm just grateful they published my stuff in the first place.

And I am really really happy for you!!

At least every once in a while people get to read a piece where the writer actually knows about the subject they're dealing with

I really hope you get to do this more often

Clearly if you get published on this type of magazine in the first place, it means you're really good

Can't wait to read it

:inlove:

I was wondering about the other song you uncovered. Do you know if an actual demo of it exisits or if they were just in the studio playing around with it?

It exists (or at least that's what I've been told by her 'co-writer'). Apparently it's somewhere on an old reel we've been trying to un-cover it for some time. As soon as I do, I'll let y'all know...

You guys are too kind, really. Thanks for the support - the Ed will be pleased!

I'd love to do this for all her songs too!

I've had some messages from people asking if the magazine is available in their country or not, and I guess it differs from country-to-country. Best bet is to order it from the Record Collector website.

Finally, I've already posted something about Mark Kamins on his Facebook page, but as seanster said, it's actually more sad and kind of shocking than ironic given the timing of the article. I was only in touch with Mark barely weeks ago, having first Skyped with him (and Maripol - that was one of hell of a nice surprise) some years ago. Although we never met in person, we stayed in touch from time to time and he was always very generous with his time and kind words of encouragement and support. He was a true gent, with a great New Yorker state-of-mind, wit and a helluva lot of fun! His music will live on. RIP Mark! xo

You guys are too kind, really. Thanks for the support - the Ed will be pleased!

I'd love to do this for all her songs too!

I've had some messages from people asking if the magazine is available in their country or not, and I guess it differs from country-to-country. Best bet is to order it from the Record Collector website.

Finally, I've already posted something about Mark Kamins on his Facebook page, but as seanster said, it's actually more sad and kind of shocking than ironic given the timing of the article. I was only in touch with Mark barely weeks ago, having first Skyped with him (and Maripol - that was one of hell of a nice surprise) some years ago. Although we never met in person, we stayed in touch from time to time and he was always very generous with his time and kind words of encouragement and support. He was a true gent, with a great New Yorker state-of-mind, wit and a helluva lot of fun! His music will live on. RIP Mark! xo

Do you know the 'Madonna' demos that have leaked, I presume they're Jellybean's production? Do you know if the original Reggie Lucas production demos exist that Madonna didn't like or not?

Do you know the 'Madonna' demos that have leaked, I presume they're Jellybean's production? Do you know if the original Reggie Lucas production demos exist that Madonna didn't like or not?

The only Madonna first album demos that I know have leaked are the Reggie Lucas versions, sans the elements that Jellybean's production added - Paul Pescos guitar riffs and Fred Zarr's synths mainly.

Got my copy today, can't wait to hold it and read your article

I've always been hugely fascinated by everything pre 1983 leading up to such an amazing and long career

The only Madonna first album demos that I know have leaked are the Reggie Lucas versions, sans the elements that Jellybean's production added - Paul Pescos guitar riffs and Fred Zarr's synths mainly.

Interesting. So, really Jellybean added the final flourishes rather than did a complete overhaul of the album's production. You can definitely hear how JB made Physical Attraction and Lucky Star come to life but really he was doing the final polish then.

Interesting. So, really Jellybean added the final flourishes rather than did a complete overhaul of the album's production. You can definitely hear how JB made Physical Attraction and Lucky Star come to life but really he was doing the final polish then.

Jellybean was first hired to remix Physcal Attraction for the 12". He found Holiday for Madonna, which he produced. Then he did some overdubs to some of the album tracks - Luckystar and Burning Up, being the two which he seemed to add the most to. The 'fact' that he produced Madonna's first album was a fictional construct that was created to possibly give her some more club credibility.

Jellybean was first hired to remix Physcal Attraction for the 12". He found Holiday for Madonna, which he produced. Then he did some overdubs to some of the album tracks - Luckystar and Burning Up, being the two which he seemed to add the most to. The 'fact' that he produced Madonna's first album was a fictional construct that was created to possibly give her some more club credibility.

very interesting

very interesting

Also, the story that she didn't get on with Reggie is something else that was hugely exaggerated. As a young Madonna fan I remember reading the stories about Reggie and imagining some boring old producer, when in fact he was a hot young R&B producer, with a background as a multi instrumentalist jazz session musician, not to mention his own band, the super funky, Mtume. Yea, they had some disagreements, as is often the norm when collaborating, and she wanted to add a little spice to a couple of the tracks in the end, but it's not like she went in and changed things so radically. As an in-demand producer, Reggie had already moved on to another project, and if that wasn't the case, it could've easily been him who added the new overdubs, rather than Jellybean. This was done as a very last minute thing just before the album was pressed. In truth, Madonna had a great working relationship with Reggie and his whole team, who all have very fond memories of the young star in the making.

Also, the story that she didn't get on with Reggie is something else that was hugely exaggerated. As a young Madonna fan I remember reading the stories about Reggie and imagining some boring old producer, when in fact he was a hot young R&B producer, with a background as a multi instrumentalist jazz session musician, not to mention his own band, the super funky, Mtume. Yea, they had some disagreements, as is often the norm when collaborating, and she wanted to add a little spice to a couple of the tracks in the end, but it's not like she went in and changed things so radically. As an in-demand producer, Reggie had already moved on to another project, and if that wasn't the case, it could've easily been him who added the new overdubs, rather than Jellybean. This was done as a very last minute thing just before the album was pressed. In truth, Madonna had a great working relationship with Reggie and his whole team, who all have very fond memories of the young star in the making.

With the inside info you have, can you shed any light on the story behind the three different versions of "Burning Up"? The 12" version, the early album version and the final, video version?

wow didn't know Reggie lucas was part of Mtume ! "Juicy fruit" is my jam !

and about what your wrote thank you, it's good to know the real story.

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are in the US, this issue is now available in Barnes & Nobles, for me at least.

Thanks for the info! I just found this thread and am really interested in reading this article. Everybody is tied with Into The Groove as my favorite Madonna song ever! :)