Roger Waters is coming for her Sticky and Sweet record, isn't he?

Apples388

Re: S&S's legacy: I have to agree with Karbatal. If you go out on the street and ask people if they've heard of the Blond Ambition Tour or even the Drowned World Tour, I'm sure they would know what you were referring to. But Sticky & Sweet? Hardly. Part of the reason M's tours do so well now is because the prices are astronomical and fans go to see her over and over, often in multiple cities. Not trying to diminish her accomplishment. She's still one of the greatest stage performers of our time and if people are willing to pay that price for tickets, she deserves it. However, some of you are overstating the reach/impact of a Madonna tour these days.

I find it really pathetic that Roger is still Milking Pink Floyd's fame and legacy.

You can't be serious. That's like complaining about Paul McCartney "milking" the Beatles' fame and legacy.

Re: S&S's legacy: I have to agree with Karbatal. If you go out on the street and ask people if they've heard of the Blond Ambition Tour or even the Drowned World Tour, I'm sure they would know what you were referring to. But Sticky & Sweet? Hardly. Part of the reason M's tours do so well now is because the prices are astronomical and fans go to see her over and over, often in multiple cities. Not trying to diminish her accomplishment. She's still one of the greatest stage performers of our time and if people are willing to pay that price for tickets, she deserves it. However, some of you are overstating the reach/impact of a Madonna tour these days.

You can't be serious. That's like complaining about Paul McCartney "milking" the Beatles' fame and legacy.

Yeah, you're trying to diminish her accomplishments. What else does she have to do to match your expectations about her tours?

The same arguments can be said about ANY artist with a certain level of success and longevity. Some of my friends are huge fans of rock bands (Muse, U2, AC/DC, Rolling, Springsteen, etc) and every time they have done a tour in Spain, they go to every possible date. This behaviour is not exclusive to Madonna fans.

The important fact is that Madonna is the only artist out there that can put those extremely high prices and she can fill arenas and stadiums quite easily all over the world. If the rest don't do the same, it's because they simply CAN'T.

vocalism, if Paul McCartney went on a five year tour playing The Beatles back catalog, I would feel the same way I feel about Roger Waters and his Wall tour.

I saw the show and it was very impressive but what artistic value there is to a four year 217 dates tour other than making hundreds of millions of dollars?

vocalism, if Paul McCartney went on a five year tour playing The Beatles back catalog, I would feel the same way I feel about Roger Waters and his Wall tour.

I saw the show and it was very impressive but what artistic value there is to a four year 217 dates tour other than making hundreds of millions of dollars?

Exactly

He's milking Pink Floyd's catalogue on a tour that probably cost not even half the production value of an MDNA and he's reaching S&S tally playing almost 150 more shows over the course of 30 extra months. Not really outstanding is it? And people putting together BAT and DWT in the same breath :lmao:

The first tour that comes to mind to anyone and most of all any casual fan IS the Blonde Ambition Tour. People need to stop and try to diminish the accomplishments by saying only the hardcore fans keep her afloat (If one by afloat means grossing $730m in 48 months time)

It's like saying U2 do well because people who bought all of their albums flock to their shows multiple times. You'd be shocked to actually see analytics of the ratio of these people's concert-goers. The casual public plays a huge role. Madonna didn't choose to do the Super Bowl for nothing. She just gave an audience that isn't her primary target a little reminder and we all know how it turned out

By May The Wall Street Journal reported that 98% of her North America tickets had already been sold. It's the same when people suggest that her habit of hitting the stage late will impact negatively on her next tours. Pity it happened with CT and Sticky before so I guess if she's the top touring draw for the year once again it's really not the case then

:thumbsup:

We are anything but overstating Madonna's reach/impact of Madonna's tours.

Madonna's accomplishments on Sticky and Sweet tour and MDNA Tour are amazing and staggering and nobody can take it from her :bow: :bow: .

She did not get those huge numbers from a bunch of fans going to multiple shows.

It's not diminishing M's touring (her ability to make $$$, sell out shows, continue to break new ground and put on a great show) to say that Joe Schmo on the street doesn't know that Madonna just went on another world tour. Do non-fans of U2 know the names of their tours, or what the gross was? I sure as hell don't. I do, however, remember the Zoo TV tour back in the '90s - because they were huge back then and it was iconic and important. And let's be real here - if "fans" aren't the ones that keep an artist's career afloat, who does exactly? Since when do non-fans buy album or concert tickets?

In defense of DWT, it was just an example. And I think the best one. What other tour besides BA would the general public remember? Madonna hadn't toured in eight years. I vividly remember people running - RUNNING - through the streets of New York when Z100 gave out tickets to her promo tour in 2000. People got hit by cars and were injured. The demand for a new Madonna stage show was immense. It got a ton of press coverage. I don't think her tours since then have been as big in that sense. They may have grossed more or whatever, but like I said, a lot of that has to do with the number of shows and ticket prices. Either way, some of you are contradicting yourselves. It's diminishing M's tours to say that they don't have much of an impact on the general public today, but then it's silly to suggest that some might remember one? Hmm...

You are right about Drowned World though. I wasn't allowed to go to the show but I remember driving with my mom. I'll never forget the sight of midtow flooded with fabulous people dressed in Madonna custumes. They were everywhere, and there was an amazing excitement in the air that I felt .

It's not diminishing M's touring (her ability to make $$$, sell out shows, continue to break new ground and put on a great show) to say that Joe Schmo on the street doesn't know that Madonna just went on another world tour. Do non-fans of U2 know the names of their tours, or what the gross was? I sure as hell don't. I do, however, remember the Zoo TV tour back in the '90s - because they were huge back then and it was iconic and important. And let's be real here - if "fans" aren't the ones that keep an artist's career afloat, who does exactly? Since when do non-fans buy album or concert tickets?

In defense of DWT, it was just an example. And I think the best one. What other tour besides BA would the general public remember? Madonna hadn't toured in eight years. I vividly remember people running - RUNNING - through the streets of New York when Z100 gave out tickets to her promo tour in 2000. People got hit by cars and were injured. The demand for a new Madonna stage show was immense. It got a ton of press coverage. I don't think her tours since then have been as big in that sense. They may have grossed more or whatever, but like I said, a lot of that has to do with the number of shows and ticket prices. Either way, some of you are contradicting yourselves. It's diminishing M's tours to say that they don't have much of an impact on the general public today, but then it's silly to suggest that some might remember one? Hmm...

No, what is odd is implying that DWT (of all Madonna tours post 1993-2001 hyatus) has any more chance at being remembered than any other one of the subsequent four and that includes Sticky. If anything that tour might be Confessions, not DWT which inspite of coming off the huge Music album was anything but a general crowd pleaser. You say BAT and DWT as if DWT makes a natural progression to BAT in terms of the first thing casual people in the street associate Madonna to, performance wise.

We as fans know that each tour is different and special and we can pin point the difference between each one of them in terms of energy and tone but as far as press coverage goes, there isn't a single Madonna career move or tour for the matter that isn't extensively and consistently covered in detail by the worldwide press. People know everything about her constantly and the success of her tours is determined in large measure by people who are aware of her reputation as a performer but that are not necessarily the hardcore fans

Guest Rachelle of London

Hardcore fans actually make up a very small percentage of people at a show, especially a legend like Madonna, most people at shows are just members of the general public that really wanted to see "Madonna!" live.

Many of my non-Madonna friends have seen her live. It was so funny this guy at College told me after he found out I was a fan that he's seen Madonna twice he described the tours as "the religious one with all the dancers" and "the hip hop one with Kanye" I assume he meant Confessions and S&S hahahahaha

I never said only hardcore fans went to see Madonna live. I've been to five different Madonna tours and there's always a mix of diehard fanatics, casual fans, old fans from the '80s who are just there for the oldies, and boyfriends dragged along by their girlfriends.

I already explained why I think DWT is more memorable than RIT, CT, S&S and MDNA, so I don't know why it's odd. I'm basing my example on the fact that there was a very memorable fervor for that tour, she was coming off two hugely successful albums. I personally think CT is the best of the bunch, but it's odd to say that DWT was less of a crowd pleaser than any other tour. Every time we do one of those "rank the tours" threads, it's always a real variety of responses. It's totally subjective. There's always media coverage of her tours, but in terms of mainstream coverage and general volume? I really believe DWT wins. She was at a peak of popularity at that time. There were cover stories about that tour. (EW comes to mind as one example.)

I never said only hardcore fans went to see Madonna live. I've been to five different Madonna tours and there's always a mix of diehard fanatics, casual fans, old fans from the '80s who are just there for the oldies, and boyfriends dragged along by their girlfriends.

I already explained why I think DWT is more memorable than RIT, CT, S&S and MDNA, so I don't know why it's odd. I'm basing my example on the fact that there was a very memorable fervor for that tour, she was coming off two hugely successful albums. I personally think CT is the best of the bunch, but it's odd to say that DWT was less of a crowd pleaser than any other tour. Every time we do one of those "rank the tours" threads, it's always a real variety of responses. It's totally subjective. There's always media coverage of her tours, but in terms of mainstream coverage and general volume? I really believe DWT wins. She was at a peak of popularity at that time. There were cover stories about that tour. (EW comes to mind as one example.)

I think you're making a bit of confusion there in the sense that DWT was a huge deal in terms of media coverage because it was her first tour in 8 years and around that period 2000-2001 the world was starting to get into the Internet/digital era at a faster pace than ever, she cut that deal with Microsoft to have her Roseland gig broadcast live on msn, if that's what u mean ok but it doesn't make the impact that the subsequent tours had any less remarkable considering they were all respectively associated to an album that in proportion was still either a top 10 or top 15 year-end seller

It seems you're saying oh DWT is remembered because ROL and MUSIC sold 15m copies each

Guest pedrohdi

Actually Madonna only has 45.000 fans that go around the globe to see her, a buy her records multiple times!

• 11 months later...

The Wall Live

7bb6ed48a174a32a9da5aa65322226cd2bd700e8

Started on Sept 15, 2010

Wrapped up on Sept 21, 2013

Number of legs 6

Total number of shows 219

(98 in North America - 91 in Europe - 15 in Oceania - 15 in South America)

Final Gross $458m

Average gross per show $2m

Seen by 4.1m people in 3 years time

Sticky & Sweet Tour

sticky2.jpg

Started on August 23, 2008

Wrapped up on September 2, 2009

Number of legs 4

Total number of shows 85

(42 in Europe - 30 in North America - 11 in South America - 2 in Asia)

Final Gross $408m

Final Gross adjusted for inflation (2014) $443m

Average Gross per show $4.8m

Average Gross per show adjusted for inflation (2014) $5.2m

Seen by 3.6m people in 13 months time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall_Live_(2010-2013_concert_tour_by_Roger_Waters)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_and_Sweet_Tour

(Billboard Boxscore figures)

So it took him 3 years to do what Madonna did in 1. Got it.

:chuckle:

Madonna's S&S average gross per gig ($4.8m) multiplied for 220 gigs -----------------> over $1bn