Favourite guitar performance

Msig

Favourite guitar performance  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite guitar performance?

• Candy Perfume Girl (DWT)
    • I Deserve It (DWT)
    • Secret (DWT)
    • La Isla Bonita (DWT)
    • Burning Up (RIT)
    • Material Girl (RIT)
    • Nothing Fails (RIT)
    • Mother and Father (RIT)
    • I Love New York (CT)
    • Ray of Light (CT)
    • Paradise (Not for Me) (CT)
    • Human Nature (S&S)
    • Borderline (S&S 2008)
    • Dress You Up (S&S 2009)
    • Miles Away (S&S)
    • You Must Love Me (S&S)
    • Ray of Light (S&S)
    • Hung Up (S&S 2008)
    • I Don't Give A (MDNA)
    • Turn Up the Radio (MDNA)
    • I'm a Sinner)

Since 2000, at least 3 guitar performances have been included in each of Madonna's tour.

So far, the 2008 legs of the Sticky & Sweet Tour hold the record with no less than 6 guitar performances - about one third of the songs performed live on stage by Madonna.

Which is your favourite?

Candy Perfume Girl - it was the first time, very different.

Ray of Light (CT) - simply amazing, her energy! (my choice on the poll)

Paradise (Not for Me) - it's really touching for me.

Dress You Up (S&S) - SOOOOO much better than Borderline. I love the arrangement.

Hung Up (S&S) - :nocomment:

Guest bluejean

Yes Candy Perfume Girl was fun.

Also love La Isla Bonita on DWT. Most of the others since are sort of just filler really.

I went with "Turn Up the Radio" because I think the tour version has that little extra something that the album version lacks.

Other great performances, imo, are "Candy Perfume Girl" and "Paradise (Not for Me)" for the reasons already mentioned by Mat.Guy, and "I Don't Give A" because the live performance really lifts the song. And Guy O was filming me throughout the song when I saw the show in Copenhagen :headbang:

I went for Candy Perfume Girl...there is something about the first time seeing her with a guitar...Not sure if it was the the best ...the point of this poll ....but it was special....The drowned world opening, then how I.I..led to Candy Perfume Girl, they way she behaved, they way she was dressed, the song, the guitar :inlove:

I pick the Drowned World tour guitar songs (CPG, Secret, I Deserve It, La Isla) and I Don't Give A and Paradise. Drowned World Tour guitar songs worked because she was in her "alternative" stage and used the rave-rock theme and the cowboy theme to her advantage switching it up from electric guitar to nice acoustics and then the Spanish rhythm section. Confessions were great but extremely repetitive and S&S had WAY to many songs back to back. Mincorporated guitar songs perfectly on MDNA and it just "worked" for Drowned World.

Reinvention's were cool too, but my faves for DWT and MDNA.

For me "Candy perfume girl". I think it's much better than the original version. "Paradise (Not for me)" is one of my favorite too... I hate when she uses the guitar to play dance songs... It's like "I don't want to dance so, let's play the guitar".

Wow this is a difficult one for me to choose. I only picked nothing fails, but I also really liked several others so much (candy perfume girl, i deserve it, secret, burning up, etc...).

Hung up on S&S was ok and fun, but it goes on way too long and it was a major disappointment after the awesome version on CT. I loved ray of light on CT, but I was disappointed that she repeated the almost same exact version on S&S

Edited by nick00

Actually, I think most of Madonna's guitar performances so far have been good.

However, as some of you have already mentioned, the S&S version of "Ray of Light" was disappointingly similar to the CT version - and unfortunately, Crowdonna has appeared in quite a few of the more recent electric guitar performances, especially "Human Nature" and "Borderline" on S&S.

Btw, it just crossed my mind that if "Impressive Instant" hadn't been replaced by "Like a Prayer" for S&S, we would have had 3 back-to-back guitar performances in the 'Rave' section: Impressive Instant, Ray of Light and Hung Up...

burning up...she was on fire...perfect rock song!!!!

and as much as i liked her guitar perfs (the perfs in general: backdrop, choreo, lights, etc) on mdna tour, they were the only songs on the setlist were her voice was...eerhm..a little unsecure....

I Luv New York! The live version should be the album version :dramatic:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

you should have done 2 votes, one for acoustic guitar and one for electric !

I would have loooved to vote for La Isla Bonita (DWT) !

I was about to say it. It's two very different kinds of performaces. I mean, I still can't believe she really plays eletric guitar but the acoustic sounds true to me :order:/>

Although I chose I Don't Give A just because ALLTHEBITTERHAVETOGOSTANDINFRONT ROOOOOOW

Edited by celloiof

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for IDGA mainly for the whole performance itself, not so much for her actual skill with the guitar. IDGA LOOKS the best! I have to say musically though, I like CPG. As mentioned, it just seemed so fresh at the time and it completely fit with the whole theme of DWT and just where she was at in general artistically at that time.

Btw, it just crossed my mind that if "Impressive Instant" hadn't been replaced by "Like a Prayer" for S&S, we would have had 3 back-to-back guitar performances in the 'Rave' section: Impressive Instant, Ray of Light and Hung Up...

She should have sticked with Impressive Instant! That was a glorious re-invention!

I think she should have scrapped ROL and put II. Like this:

4 Minutes

Like a Prayer

Impressive Instant/Burning Up

Hung Up

Give It 2 Me