Remember when Guy O said...

Guest Not4Pussies

Sorry but there was no 'negative feedback' for the leak. Most loved it but as usual changed their minds when it flopped.

Rubbish. If you truly think that then you can't have been anywhere near the internet when the song leaked. A handful of fans may have thought it was (just) OK, but the vast majority were praying with every fibre in their being that it was just a demo and would be radically transformed before it was released.

I can agree M is better than the singles from the album and I can agree that it would've been interesting from an artistic standpoint to see her go a "non traditional" route for the single choices instead choosing the most obvious potential "radio hits". It seems like some here are saying that those songs would've made MDNA more commercially successful and I just don't think that's the case. Having a bad ass video for GB and a trippy one for IA or an epic one for LS would've upped her "cool" factor for some I suppose, but obviously radio airplay is an integral part of having hit singles that will increase album sales and I'm not so sure any of the more "non traditional" single songs on the album would've done that either.

She didn't care when she released songs like Bedtime Story or Die Another Day as singles. Not exactly radio friendly (back when radio really mattered). In fact, she did her most expensive and second most expensive videos for them even though they were risky single choices. So why does she care now? I'm not saying she should go the Björk route now and release avant-garde stuff but she could have released GGW and when that didn't click with the masses change plans and say 'fuck it' and release Gang Bang or something unexpected. Turn Up The Radio was a foreseeable flop, I'm sorry.

She didn't care when she released songs like Bedtime Story or Die Another Day as singles. Not exactly radio friendly (back when radio really mattered). In fact, she did her most expensive and second most expensive videos for them even though they were risky single choices. So why does she care now? I'm not saying she should go the Björk route now and release avant-garde stuff but she could have released GGW and when that didn't click with the masses change plans and say 'fuck it' and release Gang Bang or something unexpected. Turn Up The Radio was a foreseeable flop, I'm sorry.

She cares now because she knows that she is loosing audience by the second. She wants and she needs a huge hit to express her freedom of choice again.

She could release the obscure Bedtime Story at that time because she had secured on her belt the major surefire hit Take a Bow and she could release the weird Die Another Day at that time because she was still enjoying the reputation from the Music era.

This time is no different, once she has a hit single she may feel more confortable to release more experimental songs. I guess.

I agree the lead single killed the album. I love it, fans love it but how many non fans who are just after a great singalong want to chant about loving Madonna. It just never had a chance with the wider public and casual pop fans

Again, not true in my experience. I played GMAYL to some straight friends when on holiday in Europe some weeks after its release

and one of them loved it and started humming it next day and said he'd never heard it and assumed I was playing an album track from her 80's era. Another one in the group was a girl from France who did know the song as it was much better advertised in France and she already loved it. No one else of my english friends is even aware Madonna released singles this year though are aware she is touring and showing her tits again.

Sales-wise, Give Me All Your Luvin' was within the Top 5 in about 13 countries and #1 in Canada (Top 40 in more) and Girl Gone Wild achieved modest Top 20 placements in about 10 countries (Top 40 in more). Only TUTR was the real failure. Masterpiece even got fair Airplay stats especially in Europe and Japan.

MDNA era is not a total failure. We can say Modest $ucce$$ but not a failure. We still need Love Spent for X'mas to close the era. Then we move on to the next project of which they will be 10 times more careful especially in promotion and branding.

:clap: Thank you. No matter how much promo she did, GMAYL was never going to hit #1. It was a shitty song that was catchy for about 2 seconds, until you realized how stupid it was. GGW was boring and pointless and just Celebration part 2, which also went nowhere. The only thing I'm grateful for with that release was the video. :dramatic: But, I'd gladly give it up for the singles I listed.

I echo your sentiments the moment GMAYL was chosen as the lead single off MDNA. Had they started on the right foot by releasing GGW as the lead single in late 2011, Masterpiece on AC Radio during the Golden Globes nomination week, GMAYL as it was during the Superbowl and allocated at least a week each for UK and US traditional album promotion, it wouldn't have been as worse as the current predicament. TUTR must never be released. In its stead, I'm ADDICTED/GANGBANG double A-side would've done wonders. Then a final Love Spent release by X'mas time.

Presently, the only thing that redeems this era is the $ucce$$ful tour but even MDNA Tour's grosses do not match Sticky & Sweet's feat yet. Warner was indeed a significant force that sustained Madonna's prolific career. With them, her singles were given the necessary push to become authentic hits. All it took was the blunderous Guy O-Interscope tandem to reduce 3 decades of hit-making to rubble.

I'm tired of meeting people who tell me that M was very cool up until Confessions but she just looks desperate and ridiculous with her last two albums. We have to understand that for 99.9% of the people MDNA = Gimme All Your Luvin. People don't know brilliant tracks like I'm Addicted and Love Spent.

the feeling i'm left with from this year is one of frustration. it feels like the lengthy absence (gap between Hard Candy and MDNA) was wasted opportunity in itself, and the whole era could have been so much better done.

- the lead single is a terrible song full stop, let alone the fact a leaked version 5 months before release turned out to be the finished article (pretty much). we were invited to beleive it was somehow ironic, artistic - most saw it as cynical and greedy instead.

- there appeared to be a perverse, ill advised, badly executed strategy from start to finish. i recall bold statements made about Madonna delving deep and casting her net wide; seeking the very zenith of dance / pop talent. with no disrespect to them, we got Martin Solveig; William Orbit et al. the bold statements showed a Manager out of touch at best, and showed a naieve (possibly insulting) disregard and underestimation of the intellect / needs of Madonna's fan base.

- there is a feeling on MDNA Madonna's heart wasn't really in it (even the appalling Hard Candy seemed to have something to it); she was focusing on the film; the tour, and so the album was a means to an end - in this instance, the singles didn't stand a chance. the tracklist is woefully wrong; some of the 'deluxe' tracks should be on the album; some tracks should be left for the 'unreleased' polls currently running in other threads. the last minute changes of song titles was perhaps experienced as a lack of confidence, and some of the titles felt like they played to a desperate need to be sensationalist. lowering herself to this is perhaps what we expect of the Britney's; Katy's; Kylie's of the world, but this is Madonna for gods sake! Madonna is better than that - we thought.

- the release strategy showed up as thoroughly disorientating at best - unclear, almost apologetic.not the big, bold statements a Madonna release deserves. physical format of first single released months after the event, by which time a 2nd single 'radio play only' has gone to radio, and the 3rd single has been released digitally but not yet physically; the 4th single is a digital ep only. what happened to the 'on Monday, following last weeks video exclusive, Madonna's new single is released, and is available on that day in multiple formats, including CD1 (with b-sides); CD2 (remixes); 12'' picture disc; digital bundles1,2,3?' surely that's not rocket science!? is it!?

- not enough promo - Superbowl alone doesn't cut it, and meant very little to me in the UK. I know she was focusing on the prep for the tour, but that decision was at cost.

the real shame is much of MDNA is excellent. there's at least half of a top drawer, 10/10 Madonna album there. if she'd stuck to the principle of taking a little more time, and sticking with her instinct to be a little more 'underground' and forward thinking with the project, it would have been amazing.

in short Madonna - you can afford to take your time (you've earned it dammit); you don't need to lower yourself (stay robustly above the pack - coz the pack don't offer anything of substance); and trust in the creativity, drive, enthusiasm and instinct that brought us at least ten career defining albums between 1983 and 2006.

The problem is that we don't have a music label 100% behind her and that's not gonna change so we should get used to it I guess... Warner HAD to make sure her songs hit no1 because that was the only source of revenue for them. Livenation couldn't care less about peak positions. Even if they cared they don't have the right knowledge/promo teams/infrastructure to help. As for Interscope/Universal, it does not make sense for them financially to invest heavily in the product called Madonna since they just serve Livenation.

Sales-wise, Give Me All Your Luvin' was within the Top 5 in about 13 countries and #1 in Canada (Top 40 in more) and Girl Gone Wild achieved modest Top 20 placements in about 10 countries (Top 40 in more). Only TUTR was the real failure. Masterpiece even got fair Airplay stats especially in Europe and Japan.

MDNA era is not a total failure. We can say Modest $ucce$$ but not a failure. We still need Love Spent for X'mas to close the era. Then we move on to the next project of which they will be 10 times more careful especially in promotion and branding.

All of them flopped in UK though

Sales-wise, Give Me All Your Luvin' was within the Top 5 in about 13 countries and #1 in Canada (Top 40 in more) and Girl Gone Wild achieved modest Top 20 placements in about 10 countries (Top 40 in more).

Only cos the public was ready for some Madonna. Imagine how well actual GOOD songs might have done.

Anyway just going by the UK, the whole thing was a disaster. Zero promotion - more ppl would have known about the perfume than the album and of course now she has the pathetic ageism that's taken over radio/musictv to deal with.

Orbit himself admitted that while recording, Madge was being pulled in too many directions and had too many creative things going on that got in the way of actually making the music Oh well, still shits over Hard Candy anyday.

I'm sorry, but anyone is saying that Madonna's heart isn't in MDNA is obviously wrong and/or hasn't seen the tour. Both the album and the tour are artistic statements that are extremely relevant to who Madonna is as a person now. Yes, the album has some filler, but if you ask me, this album has the most heart since American Life, or maybe even Ray of Light.