Remember when Guy O said...

Guest Not4Pussies

I'm sorry, but i think that this year, being incredibly eventful, hasn't been positive for Madonna. It's being a great year for fans, but that's not what i'm talking about. Madonna has had the biggest flops in terms of singles, news of MDNA plummeting in the charts made headlines (and it made headlines because it was news, because that didn't happen to her before) and even though the tour is being a succesful one, she's been on the news because she flashed a tit, annoyed Marie Le Penn, "fans" complained at Olympia, shows guns... In fact, i think that she really needs to have a really succesful single for her next album if she wants to sustain the high numbers of people atending her shows.

You're not the brightest bulb in the chandelier are you darling? Record sales don't make artists money. They make record labels money. Touring is where artists make their earnings and Madonna is earning enough money to feed you and your wider family for a millennium. Silly boy. You say the same comments over and over that she needs to do this and do that in order to get this or have a successful tour etc but you're ALWAYS wrong. Just like when the Gaga fans said Madonna was over because Gaga had more twitter followers and YouTube views than her. :dead: It's all just ugly noise and Madonnas career is the symphony. Maybe you need a lobotomy due to brainwashing from bitter fools on another Madonna site...:lol:

In a way I think the pop industry is going backwards (in a good way). Live acts who do well and inspire people in a live environment o well. Real music lovers should be celebrating that fact rather than hoping for an interview.

PROMO PROMO PROMO PROMO PROMO PROMO PROMO PROMO. MUST HAVE MORE PROMO.

You're not the brightest bulb in the chandelier are you darling?

Silly boy.

Maybe you need a lobotomy due to brainwashing from bitter fools on another Madonna site... :lol:

"Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong" Jean Jacques Rousseau

To be fair, I do think Madonna and Guy will look at this as a very successful year but I also think they will look at the complete failure of the singles and hopefully re-evaluate the promotional side - ie. send a dj a copy in advance!!!

My main disappointment with the era is the lack of vinyl collectables and great remixes. I've got one LP and one pic disc but there isn't one remix that I've discovered that I've fallen in love with. They're all so generic and uninspired. Poor single choices, badly remixed. First time ever since Like A Virgin :(

Turn Up The Radio at the Superbowl would have been a much bigger hit than Top 10 in America. I would have chosen Love Spent for 2nd single because it defines the album. Gang Bang could have been the throw away 3rd single no one buys but it would have had an amazing video and remixes and it would've become the HN of this era. GGW should have been the Candy Shop of this era. Tour opener but not a single.

I totally agree. I like GMAYL but I definitely think Turn Up The Radio would have been a killer first single with the payola and all the attention GMAYL was promoted into. Even a Superbowl Classic Hits megamix would have ended just PERFECT with Turn Up The Radio.

Love Spent is the most universally loved song in the album and would have been a wise second single, leaving, as you say the GGW perfection a surprising unknown tour opener like Candy Shop or Future Lovers.

Gang Bang third single before the tour started with a Quentin Tarantino video at ALL COST. Would have been loved and praised by the critics even when Madonna's third singles nowadays are chart-laughable. Would have made a good impression.

If all that worked I would have released I'm Addicted as a fourth (club only-promo only perhaps if you don't want a commercial release?) trancey single with killer mixes while on tour with some LCD-ish video or even just the live performance.

Wanna milk the thing a bit more? re release a super deluxe version with demos, acoustic and all that shit early next year and GGW as a live single.

and of course, in my imaginary perfect world all the singles have physical releases, both CD and vinyl.

oh I'm grateful for the vinyls! just wish they got all released in both vinyl and CD. Also, GMAYL doesn't have a picture disc, if there's one floating around, it's a bootleg.

I totally agree. I like GMAYL but I definitely think Turn Up The Radio would have been a killer first single with the payola and all the attention GMAYL was promoted into. Even a Superbowl Classic Hits megamix would have ended just PERFECT with Turn Up The Radio.

Love Spent is the most universally loved song in the album and would have been a wise second single, leaving, as you say the GGW perfection a surprising unknown tour opener like Candy Shop or Future Lovers.

Gang Bang third single before the tour started with a Quentin Tarantino video at ALL COST. Would have been loved and praised by the critics even when Madonna's third singles nowadays are chart-laughable. Would have made a good impression.

If all that worked I would have released I'm Addicted as a fourth (club only-promo only perhaps if you don't want a commercial release?) trancey single with killer mixes while on tour with some LCD-ish video or even just the live performance.

Wanna milk the thing a bit more? re release a super deluxe version with demos, acoustic and all that shit early next year and GGW as a live single.

and of course, in my imaginary perfect world all the singles have physical releases, both CD and vinyl.

yes!

Guest bluejean

Masterpiece - december

Gang Bang - january

Girl Gone Wild - february

I'm Addicted - may

Turn up the radio - august (would do nothin, but i liked the video!)

Love Spent - december

Not bad actually.

I think ideally the movie would have come out well before the album and Masterpiece would have been released much earlier as a soundtrack single. Then they could have included it on the album a la Die Another Day on American Life.

Guest bluejean

So I would have gone

Masterpiece (Soundtrack single)

Girl Gone Wild

Gang Bang

I'm Addicted

Love Spent

It would have been quite okay to not have a new song at the Superbowl, she could have just launched the new single in that same week and with the radio push and all the buzz everyone would have heard it anyway.

Not bad actually.

I think ideally the movie would have come out well before the album and Masterpiece would have been released much earlier as a soundtrack single. Then they could have included it on the album a la Die Another Day on American Life.

I agree, it would have been great to have Masterpiece in november -december, and then the new single with the Superbowl.And, of course, made the single available to chart: was GMAYL available to chart when all the hype was there?

by the way, I keep hearing Masterpiece in my supermarket!!! It´s great to hear it out of my house!

"Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong" Jean Jacques Rousseau

"Your ass looks FAT in that skirt." Nadya Ginsburg as Madonna.

So I would have gone

Masterpiece (Soundtrack single)

Girl Gone Wild

Gang Bang

I'm Addicted

Love Spent

It would have been quite okay to not have a new song at the Superbowl, she could have just launched the new single in that same week and with the radio push and all the buzz everyone would have heard it anyway.

I like that! I still think she could've done GMAYL at the Super Bowl though, even if it wasn't an upcoming single. Clearly it was at least partially made with SB in mind. Somehow that song really does work live both in SB and on MDNA tour. Even better if despite GMAYL not being a single, she went ahead and still filmed that video for it and released it the week before the SB. In my ideal scenario Masterpiece would've already come and gone by this point, GGW would have already been released to itunes shortly before, the GGW video would premiere the week after the SB and the album itself would've dropped that week as well. Madonna overload?? Probably for the general public but would've been heavenly for us! :)

I think quite a lot of the problem is, for this album as I understand, M was given a lump sum of money for promotion upfront, and she must have spent a fortune on the super bowl, on the multi million dollar GMAYL video (which is great) and all the work with Mert & Marcus who are massive photographers right now, so they probably weren't able to plan ahead for further releases because they wouldn't have been able to afford it.

It's all such a waste.

I would have gone:

November: Masterpiece (with video)

February: Turn Up The Radio (also performed on Superbowl - the LUV Madonna chant included in Superbowl performance and on a remix of TUTR)

May: Girl Gone Wild

July: Gang Bang (iTunes EP featuring remixes for Beautiful Killer and I'm A Sinner)

October: Love Spent

December: MDNA Remixed with selected album tracks and promo video for I'm Addicted

GMAYL would not be released and remain a leaked demo

It's all such a waste.

I would have gone:

November: Masterpiece (with video)

February: Turn Up The Radio (also performed on Superbowl - the LUV Madonna chant included in Superbowl performance and on a remix of TUTR)

May: Girl Gone Wild

July: Gang Bang (iTunes EP featuring remixes for Beautiful Killer and I'm A Sinner)

October: Love Spent

December: MDNA Remixed with selected album tracks and promo video for I'm Addicted

GMAYL would not be released and remain a leaked demo

I love this. Brilliant!

She needs an entire new team. That's all.

And no more movies, please.

This. I'm not sure there's anyone in M's inner circle that is really bringing it for her right now. I think she needs to have some people on board who are essentially Madonna fans and can explain to her what makes her so brilliant when she's at her best, as I've often got the sense that she doesn't quite get that.

Most of all, she needs some brilliant, catchy pop songs in the same sort of league as Hung Up. Songs so amazing that they can't help but be hits. i do think promo is important, but the second I heard the finished version of Hung Up I knew it would be a huge smash without having a clue how she would promote it. When a song is that great, any personal appearances/interviews are just icing on the cake really. Superbowl secured her the biggest US audience of her career and yet it didn't succeed in turning GMYAL into a major hit single.

That's because GMAYL was a b-side track at best - it was a weak song to comeback with after such a long absence and TUTR would have been a massive hit as a lead single.

It's interesting that M is only performing a heavily edited and remixed version of GMAYL on tour

That's because GMAYL was a b-side track at best - it was a weak song to comeback with after such a long absence....

That's my point. If you're putting out weak material then the best promotion in the world will only have a limited impact.

I think Guy's basically saying that with the inevitable press release that the tour has made however many hundreds of millions of dollars the era will therefore be considered a success and the excuse that Madonna was concentrating so much on the tour that she couldn't do traditional promo will be validated.

It didn't help of course that she had just finished up (traditionally) promoting the hell out of her film and then straight into this project. To a certain extent the whole thing has blown up in their face as no matter how much $$$ goes in the bank, her legacy as a relevant recording artist is diminishing by the minute, especially outside of the US, where this is the first album with no bona fide hits and dreadful chart trajectories.

They need a serious rethink and a whole new strategy for the next album.

^ I agree, the main problem was TIMING. If she plans to go on tour in springtime from now on, albums will have to be released in November! It makes loads of sense: a GOOD single in september, a couple of performances in those big autumn programs (The Voice, X Factor and all that) and even a good comeback as main performance in the EMAs (really, after i watched the show last Sunday, if Madonna performs there again people will be blown away, those acts that perform are soooo boring), and album with the second single or second single in january. From November on, she can focus on the tour and having young cocks in her vagina.

That's all.