Remember when Guy O said...

Guest Not4Pussies

No. If she releases a good single as good as Music or Hung Up she will be number one. The problem is that she releases weak songs, that's all.

:thumbsup:

And why this promo OR tour again? She can do both perfectly. See Confessions era.

Exactly. I love those promo concerts.

I don't know you guys, but i'm pretty sure that the problem is that she's simply tired of this business. She LOVES touring, and not only because of the money, but because of the rush she gets. But the hard work that is recording an album is something she doesn't want that much. In fact, she said that while she was recording MDNA she suddenly realised how much she has missed that. Unfortunately we had a tight schedule and the turds supposed to be the singles were already recorded. If she had had more time, we would have got a better album. Remember how she changed the whole Gang Bang because she was inspired with the bass?

Maybe next time.

Exactly. I love those promo concerts.

I don't know you guys, but i'm pretty sure that the problem is that she's simply tired of this business. She LOVES touring, and not only because of the money, but because of the rush she gets. But the hard work that is recording an album is something she doesn't want that much. In fact, she said that while she was recording MDNA she suddenly realised how much she has missed that. Unfortunately we had a tight schedule and the turds supposed to be the singles were already recorded. If she had had more time, we would have got a better album. Remember how she changed the whole Gang Bang because she was inspired with the bass?

Maybe next time.

Spot on.

It's not an either/or explanation, but rather a variety of them. And the fact that she just doesn't have the time or care to have the time to work on the album enough AND think through certain business/marketing decisions (ie. choosing singles) is an influencer, for sure.

But no one in her team is helping her care about the music... Which is what William Orbit was bitching about.

I think it just boils down to the fact that for a number of reasons, she has to work harder now than 20 years ago to have a hit song. There was a time radio would play the first, second, third even fourth Madonna single from an album just because it was Madonna's new single. It's not like that now. I don't buy the she releases weak songs argument because the majority of her singles the last 10 years have not been big hits and most of them are great songs that are BETTER than Music or HU. Madonna has had such massive success with her singles over the years that we expect her to have hits regardless of any circumstances that have changed and compete with the Katy's, Rihanna's etc on the charts. The fact is though, she's gradually over the past 6 years or so, moved into the territory where comparing her to the likes of Springsteen and U2 seems more appropriate than what's getting played on Top 40 radio currently. Like her, their latest albums are among the top selling of their respective years and are generally critically praised, yet you don't hear their songs played on radio. They both have massive, critically praised, high grossing tours that are among the most successful of all time. Despite the lack of genuine hits, the overall perception of these acts from my perspective anyways, is very positive. I think it's the same for Madonna these days. The only difference is, she actually does have the fluke massive worldwide hit here and there but it's not the norm and if you look at the number of singles she's released the past 10 years and compare the number of hits vs "flops" you will see that.

She did MDNA because she probably could not tour without a new album, but i'm sure that she seems tired of this routine (months to record it and then heavily promote it). She hired Willian Orbit to make things easier for her and during the short time she spent with him in the studio she did her best and got great results, but that was it. I think that after she filmed W.E she was tired to jump on another album era (she said to her fans that she was excited about it but i don't think so, i guess she said that to please us and to feel better about it). The tour was always meant to happen because it's the main aspect of her Live Nation deal. The album is probably a secondary but mandatory obligation in order to tour and make the real money.

I wonder when people will start to realize that Twitter, Facebook, social media and YouTube means NOTHING. You can have a zillion views and that doesn't mean people will buy your album. Have heavy radio playing and traditional promo and you have like 10 times more chances!

Remember Rick Astley rickrolling? I don't recall people buying Never Gonna Give You Up. No wonder Facebook shares are going to the pits, it's all smoke and mirrors.

ROL and Confessions are perfect examples of how a promo should be! Even if you don't boost sales that much, you give a good impression to main public, like that French performance with Hung Up and Get Together in that Fame Academy. I'm sure it made loads more than the Olympia gig.

:clap:

Since when did posting a few bruises on Facebook help album sales?

She just needs to go away for a while come up with another massive song ( a'la Hung Up/Music/Frozen, something with universal appeal) do some massive promo like the EMA music awards and

she will be back in favour.

11hz7k6.jpg

:lmao:

But yeah, I am hoping for at least one kickass live TV performance from her this era. Would love to see the whole Girls Gone Wild performance recreated for an award show for the world to see for example. She would own every other artist half her age performing that night for sure.

And I still want that Tarantino Gang Bang video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that Love Spent is in line to a december release (according to Guy O), I want her to sing it in the Grammy.

Skin, what if next year she decides to get Tarantino by his neck and film Gang Bang? Honestly, i dont see why not.

:wow:

Honestly, after the amazing year this has been, I don't even know why any fan would care anymore about promo or charts or whatever. She proved that she can still be an immensely relevant figure this year (in all ways, good and bad) without having to have a smash hit or album.

Yeah, but a Grammy performance or a GB video wouldnt do much about charts, Im not worried with that.

What Im saying is she's never been so inspired like now. Shes constantly changed the show to improve and make statements. I believe she still wants to prove MDNA quality.

Honestly, after the amazing year this has been, I don't even know why any fan would care anymore about promo or charts or whatever. She proved that she can still be an immensely relevant figure this year (in all ways, good and bad) without having to have a smash hit or album.

Exactly. People are talking about her and that's what matters. Far moreso than any of her contemporaries and the pretenders to her throne.

But it would be absolutely fantastique if she releases an amazing album of new material for autumn 2013 :wow:

Exactly. People are talking about her and that's what matters. Far moreso than any of her contemporaries and the pretenders to her throne.

But it would be absolutely fantastique if she releases an amazing album of new material for autumn 2013 :wow:

YES!

Shes so inspired lately. She has to get her ass in studio in march!

Guest Not4Pussies

do you guys think it boils down to her lead single choices for her last two albums?

im not talking about charts i am talking about the fact that she doesn't like doing promo anymore.

happened with HC and now MDNA. At least with HC she did a few things here and there but it wasn't much.

her last two lead singles featured other artists.

if the lead singles had just been her alone she couldve gone out and promoted and performed the hell out the lead single

just like she did with Hung Up, American Life, Music, Frozen, etc

since its kind of difficult to go out and perform a lead single with other feature artists on a promo tour, unless they do one time peformance

of the lead single (GMAYL: Super Bowl/4 Minutes: Roseland Ballroom) .

she could have scrapped promo for first single and gone out to promote the second singles like Give it 2 Me

and Girl Gone WIld, imagine kick ass performances of both songs on a tv show or an award show?

she did it for Don't Tell Me and The Power of Good-bye with amazing results. Heck, she even performed Drowned World a few times in Europe.

I really hope her next lead single is her alone doing what she does best and takes enough time to record an album.

no rush.

Sorry guys, but only when we are in a "bad" era some people say "let's not care about charts" and all that .But later on she has a hit and everyone is cheering because she's number one. If we shouldn't care for charts, then why celebrating when MDNA was rocketing the first week and was number one in a zillion countries?

I think charts are important for an artist like Madonna, because if she doesn't chart high she will be in dinosaurs zone in the blink of an eye. Of course, if she doesn't care about charts, then she may do what she wants, but i have a feeling that she cares and wants to have the big song that is number one across the world. Then, if she wants it, she has to work for it.

As i said before, i'm not disappointed with MDNA because of the sales, but because of the mixed quality of the album. Sometimes it gets embarassing, specially because it has such good moments on it too!

do you guys think it boils down to her lead single choices for her last two albums?

im not talking about charts i am talking about the fact that she doesn't like doing promo anymore.

happened with HC and now MDNA. At least with HC she did a few things here and there but it wasn't much.

her last two lead singles featured other artists.

if the lead singles had just been her alone she couldve gone out and promoted and performed the hell out the lead single

just like she did with Hung Up, American Life, Music, Frozen, etc

since its kind of difficult to go out and perform a lead single with other feature artists on a promo tour, unless they do one time peformance

of the lead single (GMAYL: Super Bowl/4 Minutes: Roseland Ballroom) .

she could have scrapped promo for first single and gone out to promote the second singles like Give it 2 Me

and Girl Gone WIld, imagine kick ass performances of both songs on a tv show or an award show?

she did it for Don't Tell Me and The Power of Good-bye with amazing results. Heck, she even performed Drowned World a few times in Europe.

I really hope her next lead single is her alone doing what she does best and takes enough time to record an album.

no rush.

She should have let GMAYL being a teaser song for the Superbowl and sing there the new one, being BETTER than GGW. And the truth is that there is no song in MDNA that is up there to Madonna's first single standards. Since Hung Up, there hasn't been a good first single.

She should have let GMAYL being a teaser song for the Superbowl and sing there the new one, being BETTER than GGW. And the truth is that there is no song in MDNA that is up there to Madonna's first single standards. Since Hung Up, there hasn't been a good first single.

Gang Bang could have beem the new Justify My Love. It could have been a major talked about single (it would still not be played on the radio but it could have caused the expected impact of a Madonna comeback in the media and social networks). Remember that she said in a interview that Gang Bang is her favorite song of the album? Something (her team, the motherhood or her fears) prevented her to release it with a bombastic video and cause a major controversy like the good old days.

Sorry guys, but only when we are in a "bad" era some people say "let's not care about charts" and all that .But later on she has a hit and everyone is cheering because she's number one. If we shouldn't care for charts, then why celebrating when MDNA was rocketing the first week and was number one in a zillion countries?

I think charts are important for an artist like Madonna, because if she doesn't chart high she will be in dinosaurs zone in the blink of an eye. Of course, if she doesn't care about charts, then she may do what she wants, but i have a feeling that she cares and wants to have the big song that is number one across the world. Then, if she wants it, she has to work for it.

As i said before, i'm not disappointed with MDNA because of the sales, but because of the mixed quality of the album. Sometimes it gets embarassing, specially because it has such good moments on it too!

It IS exciting to see her do well on the charts but realistically, at this stage of her career I don't expect it. It boggles my mind that some Madonna fans expect her to compete with the "pop princesses" forever and have it set in their minds that the ONLY way she can stay relevant is if she keeps up with who's hot on Top 40 radio. Madonna doesn't really HAVE to do that anymore. She's gonna be pushing 60 years old with 30+ years in the business by the time her next album comes out, at a certain point it's ridiculous to expect her to have smash lead singles every single time she releases an album. Madonna can and does find plenty of other ways to stay a current and vital force in the music industry.

May I also just say that I don't think we've seen a true flop Madonna lead single at this point in her career. GMAYL may have burnt out quick but it got MASSIVE exposure with the Super Bowl and it did manage to make it to the top 10 in many big markets around the world including the US, where it also became yet another Gold single for her. AL is considered a huge flop single for her but even that peaked high in a lot of countries before it was quickly dropped because of bad listener response and the controversy surrounding the video. The end result though was that everybody knew she had an album coming out and both of those albums debuted at number one in many many countries around the world.

I agree with most people that the promotion during this era could have been much better, but some of the promo stuff did work. For example, I agree that it was great for her to play the super bowl & for her to announce a sale for the new tour after the super bowl was over. The release of the first two singles & good videos was smart promotion as well. I'm not sure why she waited so long to release a third single & video & a fourth single looks likes it might not happen.

Smarter promotion would have worked much better in promoting the era, but it does not take away from the fact that mdna appears to be not a very popular album among american & several european audiences. It's great that it sold sold so many copies, but people seem to be on the fence a/b the album & her newer material. I will always continue to love & respect her music & tours if her popularity does gradually fade, but her management team needs to figure out how for her upcoming future projects to keep her on top of her game

It IS exciting to see her do well on the charts but realistically, at this stage of her career I don't expect it. It boggles my mind that some Madonna fans expect her to compete with the "pop princesses" forever and have it set in their minds that the ONLY way she can stay relevant is if she keeps up with who's hot on Top 40 radio. Madonna doesn't really HAVE to do that anymore. She's gonna be pushing 60 years old with 30+ years in the business by the time her next album comes out, at a certain point it's ridiculous to expect her to have smash lead singles every single time she releases an album. Madonna can and does find plenty of other ways to stay a current and vital force in the music industry.

In reality what a lot of us want is for her to stay true to her artistic roots and to keep pushing herself, but realistically - she's signed mammoth contracts with Live Nation AND Interscope. This sucks majorly because it puts unnecessary burden on her to continue performing at a peak. SHE has put herself in this corner, as opposed to sashaying away and deciding to do musicals, experimental work, play smaller venues, collaborative art - what have you.

Her team and her decided to stick to mainstream culture, so here we are: saying that an album that sold 1.5m is a flop album.

The tour might have helped promote the album if the idiots had bothered to name the tour 'The MDNA Tour' from the start and use a poster that related to the album instead of using a completely random one-off image that bore no resemblance to the album, singles or Superbowl. But no, they just referred it as Madonna World tour and used the pic in my avi!!! You couldn't make up this level of incompetence!

The tour might have helped promote the album if the idiots had bothered to name the tour 'The MDNA Tour' from the start and use a poster that related to the album instead of using a completely random one-off image that bore no resemblance to the album, singles or Superbowl. But no, they just referred it as Madonna World tour and used the pic in my avi!!! You couldn't make up this level of incompetence!

Compare this to the brilliant promo for Taylor Swift's new album. They even matched her up with Target because her CD is called "Red," for god's sake.

W.E promo had an effect, she shouldve talked about the album more. Guy shouldnt be a yes man and let her put a couple of duds on MDNA. I loved the ballads, I dont know how they managed to fuck up masterpiece, I cant even remember if it was released.

Im addicted or gang bang not being released is a crime. Turn up the radio is cute, great live but not as strong as some of the other tracks.