Oct. 3: svperstar's MDNA concert experience

svperstar

HAHAH I guess only us girls are all over his shit so far. Where are the Madonna boys?

Okay, so here's the skinny.

This was my second ever concert going experience as far as the queen is concerned. Our previous outing together was in Fresno on June 6, 2006, for her Confessions Tour outing. Me and my partner at the time were seated towards the bottom of the lower level near where the right catwalk ascended into the crowd. At the time I figured it would be the closest I would ever get to her, but last night obviously eclipsed that. My partner and I showed up early enough to get a standing spot in the golden triangle on the outer parameter on the left side of the catwalk, right at base of the stairs. On her trips through, I could not have been more than five feet from her. :wow: My blood boiled with excitement the whole time.

The bitch looked great. She was energetic, living the part, commanding the stage like it and its visitors were slaves to her every gesture. The crowd adored when she payed them attention, and I was quite surprised that she managed to get the pit into a frenzied reaction of jumping, shouting and hand-clapping while she did "Turn Up The Radio," which I find to be the most lifeless dance song she's released in years. Just goes to show, sometimes things DO sound better live.

Speaking of which, what a shock to hear "Love Spent." :shock: It seems tailor made to the ballad format, I think. I sincerely hope this one continues on through the tour, and hopefully gets a professional recording for the eventual DVD. It wipes the floor with the album version, which I find well written but overproduced.

That opening? :dramatic: I felt weak in the knees the whole time. The entire aesthetic was flawless, from the moment the bell first rang to the point when her shotgun shattered the glass of her prison. I remember how enthusiastic the crowd was during the Confessions Tour when that Disco Ball opened up with her inside, but it PALES in comparison to how everyone responded to this. Easily one of the finest tour openers of hers ever.

The first segment was pretty energetic and fairly straightforward, although I really didn't care for the Papa Don't Preach/Hung Up medley. It felt clunky. Not to mention that it felt oddly underdeveloped (although I note that Nightshade said there apparently was a dance routine missing, so maybe that's it). I love Hung Up but really think it's time to retire it from touring for a while. But the conclusion of the first segment with "I Don't Give A" MORE than made up for that sluggish moment, and that dramatic ending is just cum-enducing.

A brief rundown of my highlights/lowlights:

Highlights:

* The entire set from "Vogue" to "Love Spent" was perfection. My favorite set of songs and performances of a Madonna show since the disco cross of Confessions. And for the first time in my whole life, FINALLY I see the purpose of "Candy Shop." WOW, WHAT A REINVENTION.

* The "Nobody Knows Me" video is the best political video she has ever done. End of.

* The combo of choreography and video in "Gang Bang." The execution is spot on. The audience (myself included) was enraptured.

* The way she talked to the crowd. She was very engaged with her audience, probably because it was obvious that they LOVED having her there. And she loved they responded so well to her political talk. After she revealed the tattoo, she stated proudly, "THIS ass belongs to Obama!"

* "Like a Prayer" and "Open Your Heart." I never in my life thought I would hear either performed in person. Dare I say it, I was almost in tears when OYH started, mostly because I did not expect it. (And yes, I have avoided most spoilers till now).

* The male dancers are some of the finest specimens in a Madonna show EVA.

* Met someone who posts at MadonnaNation in the triangle. :D He didn't identify himself specifically, but seemed very nice and knew instantly who I was. I briefly felt like a STAH. :dramatic:

* Oh yeah, and these were the best backdrops ever made. Whoever did them needs to be rehired.

Lowlights:

* It went by too fast. But that's a norm at a Madge show, let's face it. I'll get over it.

* The camera died after just a handful of pictures. :bad: But then again, after about two minutes, I wasn't really interested in holding up a camera all night anyway. This is the queen, and she deserves our attention.

* Speaking of which, the front side of the catwalk (on the outside of the triangle) pissed me the FUCK OFF. Every time she went down there, there was hardly anybody clapping or jumping. It was a sea of goobers holding up their cellphones just to grab a photo. That's find once in a while, but EVERY FUCKING TIME? :rolleyes:

* A phag in the triangle kept giving everyone the stink eye like he was somehow above all of them, and he stood right behind us. He remained stone-faced through the whole damn performance. I wanted to turn around and punch his lipstick-wearing ass.

* "Hung Up/Papa Don't Preach" medley, as discussed above.

* "I'm A Sinner" was kind of... just there. I didn't dig the whole train backdrop. Although I found it humorous that one of the podiums got stuck and didn't go down till the middle of "Like a Prayer." :D

* As a closer, "Celebration" felt oddly disconnected. I guess I just expected her to try and ramp up the audience like the last few closers she's had, but it felt too straightforward, and really not celebratory enough. It was a bit anticlimactic.

And NOW, for the ULTIMATE QOL moment of the night:

* While performing "Human Nature," the bitch came down the left side of the catwalk with her cane in hand, looked out into the arena and then looked sharply back into the triangle for a split second -- she looked RIGHT in the direction where the bf and I were standing, and coyly raised her eyebrow before continuing down the line. I'd wager a foggy guess that she actually made eye contact. :shock:

I will upload the few pics I took at some point soon. But there you have it. svperstar is in pop lust. :inlove:

I can EXCLUSIVELY reveal that svperstar is getting massively upgraded into the Golden Triangle tonight :queenbitch:

tumblr_mame6oYqDu1rt7raso1_500.gif

:1251:

Edit: He beat me to it!

u are a doll

^ YAY!!! I am so glad you got into the GT, svperstar!!! I wish I had been in there. The crowd looked really good in that area on the second night - lots of energy.

And yeah, she was supposed to do a "wire walk" across the slack line during "Hung Up." I couldn't tell what was wrong, it looked like the dancers couldn't get her up there - or maybe she couldn't get her footing - to start it because you could tell she was pissed and and they just carried her around for a bit.

I'm still in awe that the audiences for the Seattle shows were as good as they were. As I said before, it's not like they were Argentina-good, but I was totally expecting zombie faces and hardly any clapping. This is such a stand-and-stare city. However, I guess Madge was able to awaken the beast because they are probably the best crowds I've ever seen at any concert here. Gaga included.

Hi all - my first post here. This was my fourth and final show of the MDNA tour. I went to both Vancouver and both Seattle shows. The Seattle shows blew Vancouver out of the water. The crowd was wild and M was very enthusiastic. She was very silly the second night, probably due to the love she received on the first night. As mentioned above, she did chide someone about smoking weed, but it was very silly and tongue in cheek. Before her final "nothing's indestructible" in Masterpiece, she pointed to the guy again and teased him. It was the loosest and silliest I've ever seen her. Her closing line of the night was something like, "Go hot or go home! Yeah! I'm off this thing!" I hope the whole night winds up on YouTube so everyone her can revel in her offhand remarks throughout the night.

The obvious lesson I've learned on my MDNA adventure: The audience at each venue decides how the show will turn out. The stoned, quiet crowd in Vancouver made for a weird, disjointed show. The raucous, M-starved Seattle audience not only energized M, but made the show seem cohesive and less depressing. If I was going to any more shows, I'd make sure the folks around me are planning to stand and scream for the whole shebang.

Excellent, svper. :)

I think in re-Invention Tour, she may have made eye contact during "Nobody Knows Me," when she gets lifted (we were not on the floor, but off to a side angle- so we got a good view for that one). When I had seventh row for the hilly re-Invention show, I don't recall if there was any, as that was the closest I had ever seen her. :doofus:

I think the shortened PDP fits alright with the theme of the first section- perhaps papa warned her about "God," or the guy she had the trouble with in the segment .And in terms of other speculation, "the "you" in "Hung Up" could be God, as well.

Hi all - my first post here. This was my fourth and final show of the MDNA tour. I went to both Vancouver and both Seattle shows. The Seattle shows blew Vancouver out of the water. The crowd was wild and M was very enthusiastic. She was very silly the second night, probably due to the love she received on the first night. As mentioned above, she did chide someone about smoking weed, but it was very silly and tongue in cheek. Before her final "nothing's indestructible" in Masterpiece, she pointed to the guy again and teased him. It was the loosest and silliest I've ever seen her. Her closing line of the night was something like, "Go hot or go home! Yeah! I'm off this thing!" I hope the whole night winds up on YouTube so everyone her can revel in her offhand remarks throughout the night.

The obvious lesson I've learned on my MDNA adventure: The audience at each venue decides how the show will turn out. The stoned, quiet crowd in Vancouver made for a weird, disjointed show. The raucous, M-starved Seattle audience not only energized M, but made the show seem cohesive and less depressing. If I was going to any more shows, I'd make sure the folks around me are planning to stand and scream for the whole shebang.

I completely agree. Next time, I am ONLY going with nutcases like myself. I refuse to attend any more Madonna shows with people who stand and complain. You just dropped $300+, you better get off your ass and have fun or you're the one losing out.

I've been in the best mood since seeing these shows. I think I may have to attend multiple shows on future M tours. It's the most awesome feeling to be able to see her more than once. I genuinely feel blessed, and moreso that she was in a decent mood.

Wow Svperstar ! Great review. So many people here with incredible reviews. Passionate and Personal. There is a new concert experience to read about with pleasure all the time. From 12:51's incredible video journey, and the brilliant concert reviews from Hector, Nightshade and Svperstar. Also so many others posted previously as well but too many to mention personally. All great and exciting to read. Being such a big Madonna fan, they are heaven to read. Thanks to all that post them.