EROTICA / SEX: The Official 20th Anniversary Celebration Thread.

Mattress

My God -

sex, sexuality, and freedom of expression have always been her strongest suits. I mean, what I would give for her to speak so eloquently and so provocatively now as she did back then, as opposed to always saying PEACE, FUCK YEAH, etc.

Some of these interviews are SHARP and people are CHALLENGING her with awesome arguments and she's just FIRING BACK.

Fuck, I was a bit young when Kabbalah took over her life but the more I read her interviews from the early and mid 90s the more I understand what people are talking about. They gave her a Messiah complex and took away her Flawed Hippie costume.

Now she's coming back, but I still have to hear her talk with this level of eloquence. My working theory is that she hasn't sounded this visionary in the last few years (since her divorce) because she can't talk about what would be the natural and most interesting follow-up subject for her - sexuality and ageism, sexuality past 50, living a full life, going against a culture dominated by 20 year olds.

But since she can't acknowledge her age, she won't talk about it.

↑ She really is still making statements but I have a feeling this agesim thing is about to reach its boiling point.

Remember, from the beginning of her career she was called everything in the book by many critics and treated as though her work out of the gate was as "oversexed" as Sex and Erotica.

From Rolling Stone's original review:

"It took Madonna ten years, but she finally made the record everyone has accused her of making all along. (...) Erotica is everything Madonna has been denounced for being — meticulous, calculated, domineering and artificial. It accepts those charges and answers with a brilliant record to prove them."

Really though, the best fuck-you is her moving forward as she's done for 30 years.

↑ She really is still making statements but I have a feeling this agesim thing is about to reach its boiling point.

Remember, from the beginning of her career she was called everything in the book by many critics and treated as though her work out of the gate was as "oversexed" as Sex and Erotica.

From Rolling Stone's original review:

"It took Madonna ten years, but she finally made the record everyone has accused her of making all along. (...) Erotica is everything Madonna has been denounced for being — meticulous, calculated, domineering and artificial. It accepts those charges and answers with a brilliant record to prove them."

Really though, the best fuck-you is her moving forward as she's done for 30 years.

Ohh, I like this analysis.

And of course, I absolutely agree that the best F U is that she's still doing this, and being brilliantly sexy about it.

But conversation and dialogue matters too, and for someone who is such a humanist and humanitarian, it would be beneficial to all of society - and to women in particular - if she were to speak up, particularly in terms of discrimination.

But obviously I haven't been eviscerated for 30 years as she has, so I can't blame her for not even wanting to bother. I just know she is such a visionary and leader that I want her to live up to it all the time!

And hopefully, as you say, the bubble's about to burst. And it will be brilliant.

• 10 months later...

I have always loved 'Erotica' - it's up there with her best work. It's good to see time has worn away a lot of the controversy and people are actually appreciating the album in a way they didn't at the time. I often wish she would take risks like this again. For me personally, Madonna is always at her best when she is experimental. There are hints of it in her current work but with 'Erotica' she was firing on all cylinders. A near-perfect Madonna album.