EROTICA / SEX: The Official 20th Anniversary Celebration Thread.

Mattress

Industry adverts prompting retailers to order Erotica, Sex and other merchandise.

submit.png

Stateside, Warner Bros. revisited the 1991 "jewel bikini" photo shoot multiple times during this era presumably to portray a more appealingly glamorous Madonna complete with eyebrows:

assume.png

"Assume the price and position."

Stateside, Warner Bros. revisited the 1991 "jewel bikini" photo shoot multiple times during this era presumably to portray a more appealingly glamorous Madonna complete with eyebrows:

assume.png

"Assume the price and position."

That pic was ominpresent at the time. Cardboard cut out displays of it were used for the album/and or book. :wow:

What a fabulous era!

And I absolutely adore that Vanity Fair spread, one of my all time favorites.

This era spawned so Manley great things, god I ducking love it.

That pic was ominpresent at the time. Cardboard cut out displays of it were used for the album/and or book. :wow:

It was also the poster in the UK 12". Didn't she also writhe around on an elephant in it for one of the Japanese adverts?

As for toe sucking, I thought it was Naomi's and not seen any pics that imply it's Tony's???

I do think some of the spreads used in magazines would have improved the book. I love the pic of her lying on the sofa with the pink mules. Beautiful.

It was also the poster in the UK 12". Didn't she also writhe around on an elephant in it for one of the Japanese adverts?

As for toe sucking, I thought it was Naomi's and not seen any pics that imply it's Tony's???

I do think some of the spreads used in magazines would have improved the book. I love the pic of her lying on the sofa with the pink mules. Beautiful.

One of my favorites as well!

madonna%2Bsex%2Bbook%2B1992.jpg

For those who don't know, the album cover and Sex book wrapper are a tight close-up of this set up.

10/20 is when we officially celebrate this magnus era?

Yes! And I'll be at American Airlines Center in Dallas for the MDNA show on that night! :-)

The making of Sex by Fabien Baron :

http://www.dailymoti...1992_shortfilms

There's an alternate video for "Erotica" that was only shown once in France. You can see her nipples popping out of her Dita Dominatrix costume and in various alternate images from the making of the sex book. There's also no black bars on her boobs and pussy when she's hitchiking in the end. I can't find it on Youtube.

EDIT : here it is

I know, this image was everywhere back then! My friends and I weren't old enough to get the Sex book when it came out but hell if that stopped us. We had a friend a couple years older score a copy. I still remember us all, looking through it at a 24 hour diner, completely wired on coffee, gasping as we turned every page. Lolol.

Can any1 upload scans of the Vogue interv?

Just dug my copy out and scanned the text. It's not perfect, but hopefully you can read it okay. :asian:

(it's a bitch strategically holding a 20 year old fashion bible just-so on a scanner. I kept waiting for it to disintegrate.)

Click image to enlarge:

vogueoctober1992-1_zpsa314901c.png

vogueoctober1992-2_zpseaabae8c.png

vogueoctober1992-3_zps297ab173.png

vogueoctober1992-4_zpsb5cc4b99.png

As the end of the Vogue article states, Madonna faxed David Handelman the lyrics to "Goodbye To Innocence" which would actually not make the final master of the album.

The song is called "Goodbye To Innocence" (!?), and the lyric sheet misspells anonymity as "anononimity," (Granted, it's not a word one would expect her to use frequently.) It's key verse "My life is not a game that I play to entertain you / And if you can do it better / Then you're welcome to my fame / I'm not gonna waste my time correcting myths and rumors / You believe what you want to believe / And I'll pray to keep my sense of humor."

The last line seems to completely contradict the utter humorlessness of the rest. But then, that's Madonna.

In 1993, the song was resurrected and remixed by original producer Shep Pettibone. A 12 minute long dub version featuring a few heavily filtered vocals first appeared on the "Rain" maxi single labeled as "Up Down Suite".

The vocal version wouldn't surface until 1994 on the Sire Records compilation Just Say Roe.

variou-justsa_32-thumb-450x450-6068.jpg

Madonna apparently took Mr. Handelman's words in the Vogue article to heart because, while "anoniminity" stayed, the line "And I'll pray to keep my sense of humor" did not:

http://youtu.be/EmvPHmnvHG4

(verse at 1:07)

Interestingly, the scarce "Fever (Back To The Dub 1)" which appears only on the UK promo double 12" set (catalog # SAM 1131) featured almost exclusively vocals from "Goodbye To Innocence".

Though this is a remix by the Murk Boys, the vocals are filtered as they appear on "Up Down Suite"... but this remix actually includes the missing line! (Someone must have sent out the wrong vocal reels.)

1246_other.jpg

FEVER [back To The Dub 1]: Listen to a clip here

More on the connection between "Goodbye To Innocence" and "Fever" to come... (in The Erotica Diaries)