EROTICA / SEX: The Official 20th Anniversary Celebration Thread.

Mattress

u can get that pic anywhere though

lol

Uh bitch don't be acting silly now. They wouldn't post that for the good of their health. Love it with the Erotica fingernails! :dramatic: Such amazing art design.

EROTICA is on this week's Bullseye on Entertainment Weekly!

"20 years anniversary of Erotica which is 140 in Madonna years"

So true.. a million things have happened since then. :dramatic:

Just scan each half of the page, upload them here, then I'll join them together.

Babe that's the one thing I CAN do with my limited photochop skills. :demonic: Sadly one thing I cannot do is find the magazine, damn storage boxes. :voodoo: All I can see is the 98 one.

Those older NMEs before they switched to a slightly smaller format in the late 90s-early 00s are easier to scan as they're meant to be folded but it's a fuckload of work. :scared: I was thinking of taking it down to a shop where you can scan and photocopy. But I been looking this morning and me no findy. :no:

Anyway when trying to look for it I found NMEs own site and their awards where Sex won "Hype of the Year" - http://www.nme.com/awards/history/1992

Damn you Miguel for putting that pic in here. :excl: You need to now do the entire book as was said earlier to atone for that latest bout of exhibitionism. :superman:

Edit: Oh yeah, I was wondering - a SEALED copy? Wtf.. major money in that. :wow:

Whereas the lower part of the body... priceless :horny:

OMG the Swiss or Swedish Heidi is back :sassy: :sassy: :wow: Is that the one where she says ABBA are shyt? And lol, I think Goober took a direct quote from that "it's as important as it is for you". :gross:

She says boring not shit but the bestpart is about Bjorn Borg "Slept with my girlfriend" :dead:

Since it's Helloween.. I was thinking, what is the scariest Madonna song? :pumpkin: :pumpkin: :erotica:

I think Erotica the album must qualify, pretty damn creepy shit on that and she looked like a Jack o Lantern to go with the release date, with creeptastic touches like the awesome but terrifying Chinese hopping ghost. Dita was a psycho! :scared: The title track for one.. JML is spooky. Hmm.. I'm sick of hearing that awful Thriller played all the time. :ugh:

Since it's Helloween.. I was thinking, what is the scariest Madonna song? :pumpkin: :pumpkin: :erotica:

"Mer Girl", baby.

tumblr_lx5476zLhN1r7jr39o1_400.jpg

I think Erotica the album must qualify, pretty damn creepy shit on that and she looked like a Jack o Lantern to go with the release date, with creeptastic touches like the awesome but terrifying Chinese hopping ghost. Dita was a psycho! :scared: The title track for one.. JML is spooky. Hmm.. I'm sick of hearing that awful Thriller played all the time. :ugh:

Supernatural ! (and "Has to be" is kinda spooky sounding too)

I wrote something about the influence of Madonna's 'Erotica' on Britney's 'Blackout': http://howupsetting....s-mtv-kiss-with

wow debord! i recently discovered your 'how upsetting' blog and i love love love it! your essays are phenomenal (well i'm just getting started so i've only read a few hehe)

here's Chapter Two of my ongoing Madonna/MDNA essay that I started in March....adding this Chapter to celebrate 20 years of Erotica/Sex. I'll probably write the next chapters after the last shows I see on the tour this month.

From Madonna To MDNA Chapter Two : The Before and Aftermath of "Erotica" & "Sex" by Chauncey Dandridge

the link to chapter one is in the beginning of this particular post.

Would love to hear what you guys think! :)

Hey DjChaunceyD!

I just read the first chapter and I really liked! What you said about American Life is on point!

And I loved that you put personal details of your relationship with Madonna. Is always impressive how she can affect someones's life!

omg! i can't believe its 20 years ago! i loved this album. my only issue with this era [a minor annoyance] was that there wasn't a shorter, single edit of the album mix of 'Deeper & Deeper'. the video's for the singles were absolutely fantastic too. i recall Channel 4 had a late night special viewing of 'Erotica' which i stayed up to watch [in amazement].

i'm sure 'Up Down Suite' is an instrumental type version of 'Goodbye To Innocence'.

a fantastic time. perhaps one day a 2cd deluxe will give us the unreleased material fromthis era - one can hope!

name='horn' timestamp='1352041783' post='1382122'][/b]

298615_533816996635561_1754619166_n-650x866.jpg

I WANT THIS DOLL!!!

OMG, as I always say the entering and exiting the sleazy hotel, the gum chewing whore of Erotica where she wraps the gum around her finger and of course

CONCERNING CHINESE HOPPING GHOSTS

34.gif35.gif34.gif

The hopping ghost and when she gets punched in the face by him are the best scenes EVER in the history of mankind. :dramatic::wow:

omg! i can't believe its 20 years ago! i loved this album. my only issue with this era [a minor annoyance] was that there wasn't a shorter, single edit of the album mix of 'Deeper & Deeper'. the video's for the singles were absolutely fantastic too. i recall Channel 4 had a late night special viewing of 'Erotica' which i stayed up to watch [in amazement].

i'm sure 'Up Down Suite' is an instrumental type version of 'Goodbye To Innocence'.

a fantastic time. perhaps one day a 2cd deluxe will give us the unreleased material fromthis era - one can hope!

Oh yes! With Jonathan Ross introducing it - related as they had a special on that same channel. She actually did a couple of idents for Channel 4, which at the time was knocking the screen. Too much!

Madonna spent that weekend in Milan:

"Everyone's afraid and I'm telling them not to be afraid". :inlove:

That one was my favourite look after Heidi, loved how she gave the illusion of having a short blonde bob, high glamour contrasted with that tooth. :lol: Such drama with D&G. :dramatic:

Dita even got her own poster:

TR10.jpg

OMG how amazing! Me wants. Dita is life. :drama:

And "Neurotica" from In Living Color:

http://youtu.be/OqP7Oir33gw

Vanity Fair tribute at 0:15!

How dare they say she had breast implants. :voodoo: Sandra Bernhard also had a "Neurotica" parody in one of her shows of the time where she made jokes about being into household furniture and polish.

This shoot was later featured in the middle of the "Deeper And Deeper" music video and on select international "I'll Remember" single sleeves.

32.gif31.gif33.gif31.gif33.gif31.gif32.gif

I always forget that interlude in the video was the actual Vogue shoot. I liked that I'll Remember cover better than the US one which was a copy of the UK Rain, one single behind. :lol:

[media=]

[/media]

At first the time span of that seems so wrong and a mistake, but they actually have a point when you think about it. JML was the first real 90s Madonna record and started the mega sex image.. 1991 was quiet but that hyper sexual image continued of course with ToD and more controversy.

Then came Erotica, a record that picked off where JML began and was heavily influenced by that sound (with some of the more conventional Vogue thrown in for dance sounds). And of course BS was a direct result in many ways and was a calmer more reflective and wounded Erotica.

BS and Erotica had the best videos and best remixes. These 4 years formed the core of 90s Madonna.. after the backlash (and BS continued that) it would never be the same.. Something To Forget/Evita/ROL is a completely different Madonna.

Erotica was her best and most exciting era (and add in JML and BS to that, really) for a number of reasons, not just cause it was my first as a fan. As flawless as it was musically and visually for Like a Prayer she was still developing and evolving till she found her true voice, you had the baby Dita primed to escape in the EY video.

Erotica was helped and given momentum by LAP, just for being the follow up. Plus the long gap and all that she built up in 1990.. anticipation was at Fever pitch as it was such a long wait for a studio album. The best and where she reached a peak, if not musically, as an artist and pop star.. never done before or since and where she pushed things as far as they would go in every sense. Legendary. :bow:

Ahahaha how vile. That is from the Rupert Murdoch owned (and hence UK equivalent to Fox News) Sky. The female presenter is the infamous Kay Burley, just awful. :ugh: I like Karen Krizanovich, she's usually cool.. lmfao @ the proto Alan Partridge male newsreader, that is quite uncanny.

On a similar tip watch some less right wing but still stuck up types review Sex in some ponced up late night arts review show. :lmao: Hilarious stuff. Tony Parsons is just the worst.

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsP2331oZVE[/media]

Remember The Darling Buds? They were like the less cool rivals to The Primitives in the neo-Blondie female fronted indie band stakes. Well they of course had an album titled Erotica released around the same time, it was in fact only 2 weeks earlier I found out, didn't realise they were THAT close. Even the artwork is similar.

erotica_big.jpg

darlingbuds_zpsbea48116.jpg

This was part of a debate on Madonna/Sex which I got from a teenage magazine at the library at school. :lmao: It was really good actually, as those things go.. sadly I cut up the pics from the more interesting parts, but here is what is EXTANT

discussionmag_zps62eaeb98.jpg

NME Single of the Week for Erotica. Well SORT OF, as it was star chosen.. she actually was given single of the week for her very first release - Everybody was one of seven singles of the week going in a days of the week style and that very early stuff when she was unknown had a lot of cred, such as Joe Strummer/one of the Clash choosing Everybody in a mixtape. The other single of the week she got was Angel of all things, cool.

Anyway, this was chosen by Graham from Pop Will Eat Itself, I hated all those stupid rubbish indie comedy bands at the time like Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine and Ned's Atomic Dustbin and PWEI fell into that. Interestingly, the other one Clint has went on to do well and scores Darren Aronofsky films.

eroticnmesotw_zpsd3c4679a.jpg