EROTICA / SEX: The Official 20th Anniversary Celebration Thread.

Mattress

Quite possibly the most beautiful moment on the whole album? There are two:

Bad Girl: the harmonizing of the last chorus, when she's singing "I'm not happy, I'm not happy, this way..." the 2 different melodies combined (high and low) are something I only recently noticed and are breathtaking.

Rain: turn up the volume for this part... "I'll stand out on the mountain top and wait for you to call my name..." Tender, subdued, exquisite! Actually made me tear up a bit listening to it just now. I never REALLY listened to that part on this level before. :inlove:

ThIs era had everything. Top notch videos, catchy singles, the persona, the controversy, the look, the style... It changed me. It opened me up to a world I knew nothing about, at just the right time. I needed this album and I needed Madonna to make me feel like I wasn't alone. She saved me when I was a kid and for that I will be ever-indebted to her. My all-time favorite album and era, without question.

LONG LIVE EROTICA!!!!

I love that part of "Bad Girl" too, and it was cut from the single edit of the song. :hurt:

It's a shame MTV didn't play the video more... it was an impressive piece of work. Classified as one of MTV's Breakthrough Video's, I think I saw it maybe five times before "Fever" premiered, which I probably saw twice.

"Rain" really brought her back into regular rotation on both video and radio stations. I remember waking up early to watch the video premiere on MTV and then hearing the Radio Remix on a top 40 station a few hours later while swimming.

Like a glitter submarine, I detected my queen from underwater and after expelling the water inhaled upon my initial gasp, I commanded the lifeguard to turn the radio up. He ignored me, forcing my now 12 year old self to emerge from the water and sashay poolside on the hot cement --risking electrocution-- to adjust the volume myself... only to hear Daniel Abraham's abomination. :confused:

It was still fun to have something "new" and an exciting day for a Madonna fan.

In semi-related :manson: news, it was pointed out to me that on a forum called ATRL, someone named Swag is almost verbatim taking posts from this thread, cobbling them together and passing them off as their own: http://atrl.net/foru...939089#11939089 :rotfl:

Lifting photos and info is one thing and doesn't bother me but taking entire personalized opinions (like Bill's) and posting them as their own is WEIRD.

I know, it sounds petty, but it would be swell of Swag (whoever that may be here) to credit MadonnaNation as the forum their shit is coming from.

I love that part of "Bad Girl" too, and it was cut from the single edit of the song. :hurt:

It's a shame MTV didn't play the video more... it was an impressive piece of work. Classified as one of MTV's Breakthrough Video's, I think I saw it maybe five times before "Fever" premiered, which I probably saw twice.

"Rain" really brought her back into regular rotation on both video and radio stations. I remember waking up early to watch the video premiere on MTV and then hearing the Radio Remix on a top 40 station a few hours later while swimming.

Like a glitter submarine, I detected my queen from underwater and after expelling the water inhaled upon my initial gasp, I commanded the lifeguard to turn the radio up. He ignored me, forcing my now 12 year old self to emerge from the water and sashay poolside on the hot cement --risking electrocution-- to adjust the volume myself... only to hear Daniel Abraham's abomination. :confused:

It was stil fun to have something "new" and an exciting day for a Madonna fan.

In semi-related :manson: news, it was pointed out to me that on a forum called ATRL, someone named Sway is almost verbatim taking posts from this thread, cobbling them together and passing them off as their own: http://atrl.net/foru...939089#11939089 :rotfl:

Lifting photos and info is one thing and doesn't bother me but taking entire personalized opinions (like Bill's) and posting them as their own is WEIRD.

I know, it sounds petty, but it would be swell of Sway (whoever that may be here) to credit MadonnaNation as the forum their shit is coming from.

That's why I made it clear I would share some stuff on my Facebook. Timelines, I copy and paste but not opinions...unless their fun facts or something.

Anyway, let them educate themselves. People on that site are so delusional. It could be good for them.

A dose of reality from Dita if you will...or would it be a dose of fantasy?

It was stil fun to have something "new" and an exciting day for a Madonna fan.

In semi-related :manson: news, it was pointed out to me that on a forum called ATRL, someone named Swag is almost verbatim taking posts from this thread, cobbling them together and passing them off as their own: http://atrl.net/foru...939089#11939089 :rotfl:

I know, it sounds petty, but it would be swell of Swag (whoever that may be here) to credit MadonnaNation as the forum their shit is coming from.

OMG how strange that he took my post!!! It wasn't even anything special... How weird and random!

Hey do you remember when the Bad Girl video premiered, the part where the music stops and Christopher Walken walks into the room and kisses Madonna used to have different background sounds? The day it premiered, I recorded it, and you could hear music in the background... Someone playing a violin or something. Then, there was another version with different sounds, and then I think we finally ended up with the version we know today. I know it sounds crazy, and if you don't remember it then you'd probably just think I'm mistaken, but I know it's true!! :) I have it on VHS somewhere.

Quoting this so more people see the fantastic "x-rated" cut of the video.

I'm fairly certain this is the version that was intended for the video single Warner Bros. pulled from release at the last minute.

I discovered recently that on the promo video, the uncensored version is labelled : "Erotica X"

erxb.jpg

Hey do you remember when the Bad Girl video premiered, the part where the music stops and Christopher Walken walks into the room and kisses Madonna used to have different background sounds? The day it premiered, I recorded it, and you could hear music in the background... Someone playing a violin or something. Then, there was another version with different sounds, and then I think we finally ended up with the version we know today. I know it sounds crazy, and if you don't remember it then you'd probably just think I'm mistaken, but I know it's true!! :) I have it on VHS somewhere.

it must be the version with Matt Dillon as a cop... :D

OMG how strange that he took my post!!! It wasn't even anything special... How weird and random!

You made me dig out my box of VHS tapes. :D I have the World Premiere and two other airings from MTV on tape as well as one from a VH1 countdown. All of them are identical to the version included on 93:99. :(

I noticed that I had used a "mono" VCR to record one of them and so it only caputured the audio from the left speaker which does change the emphasis on the background sounds during that scene.

If you get a chance, find your tape! I'd love to get to the bottom of this. detective.gif

I've always thought she had some kind of dominatrix boots on when in fact judging from this screen caps she wears cut off pantyhose with ankle strap shoes.

The rarely seen full outfit. :wow:The Girlie Show probably messed with a lot of our memories of her footware in the video.

Here's a clearer cap from the Celebration DVD:

Image5.png

You made me dig out my box of VHS tapes. :D I have the World Premiere and two other airings from MTV on tape as well as one from a VH1 countdown. All of them are identical to the version included on 93:99. :(

I noticed that I had used a "mono" VCR to record one of them and so it only caputured the audio from the left speaker which does change the emphasis on the background sounds during that scene.

If you get a chance, find your tape! I'd love to get to the bottom of this. detective.gif

I will! I'm certain of it. Unless I was so drunk with obsession that I imagined the whole thing :lol:

There are some great Dita shots hidden within the flashing "El Yom..." portion of the "Erotica" video, including another instance of Madonna actually getting her nipples onto MTV, albeit briefly. :D

evidnipples.png

evidnipples2.png

There's at least 2 new posters that have alluded to threads over there. :manson:

Love it. Were there any of the nude bicycle in Sex? I think it was in there but I don't remember that.. or the hammock. I know there was a ton of outtakes that didn't make the book. The cycling of course formed the lead-in clip for THAT Letterman apperance. :shock: Think Madonna got them to play him making fun of it.

Such an amazing thread Mattress. :bow::wow: I think all these ..anniversary threads should be archived a la the timelines, cause a lot of hard work goes into them and it contains a ton of little known/NBS shit.

PRO-CD-5665:

This time 20 years ago, US radio stations were putting their respective copies of this promotional CD single to good use,

helping "Erotica" eventually ascend to #3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

eroticaprocd1.png

eroticaprocd2.png

While the Radio Edit and Album Versions have always been easily obtainable, the Edit version of "Erotic" clocking in at 4:25 was only available on this CD. In the build up to the release of Sex and Erotica, some stations actually played this version.

Here is a freshly ripped, lossless .WAV file direct from the promo CD.

EROTIC (Edit) | DOWNLOAD

Hope you enjoy it!

I am fucking living for this thread.

As ie no doubt repeated myself on numerous occasions, for me this is THE Era. Just everything about it , she went stratospheric in my opinion and this made her. Backlash, career slump, fuck that shit.

This era made her. And as I said no one will ever replicate this

I drove across town to my parents' house, went up their attic and dug through my Madonna boxes and found the tape!! And it's there!!!! I took video of it with my iPhone and uploaded it to YouTube. It's processing right now, but I'll post a link as soon as its available. I'm also creating a DVD of some of the rare footage I have, including this, which I plan to upload soon. It will be much better quality than what I took with my phone.