EROTICA / SEX: The Official 20th Anniversary Celebration Thread.

Mattress

typography,categories-bffe5cf35d6987258a

We'd heard about the mega deal with Time Warner.

We'd seen the grainy tabloid shots of Madonna in the raw on the beach.

We had this golden moment:

And these golden globes with tooth to match:

madonna_eyeprime_92.jpg

But the party didn't officially kick off until September 9 during the 1992 MTV Video Music Awards when --somewhere between Carvey, Cobain and Fartman-- was an audio-only teaser commercial for new Fall music coming soon to MTV.

We heard R.E.M.'s "Drive". We heard some schmalz by Bon Jovi. Then we heard it :
"Erotic, erotic, put your hands all over my body."

5 seconds of video that sailed across the tape heads of my VCR more times than I can count.

That this clip was actually from the Sex version called "Erotic" mattered not. We all ran around singing this one little line for the better part of a month desperate to hear the full track when, finally, on the night of Friday, October 2, 1992 at midnight MTV premiered the "Erotica" music video. Preceded by a mini-marathon of Madonna videos and a lengthy warning from Kurt Loder that included our first glimpse at the single cover:

R-267670-1205075964.jpeg

Dita Parlo had officially arrived.

Mattress, I'm copying this to my Facebook, if that is indeed alright with you...I love the way you guys put together these timelines and look backs on history.

It makes so fucking excited, I swear!

Just thinking about those days gives me goosebumps & I'm so sad my vhs collection caught fungus (:chuckle:) as I traded video

footage with people from all over the word. :(

The first time I saw the video in full was on hitlist UK, but I put the volume down 'cuz my mum was in the other room :lmao:

I also stole money from my father 2 buy the Erotica cassette & 4 bus fare 2 go 2 the record store in the city. :fag:

But this was truly sth else :dramatic: But there's also not a single shot of that event where she actually looks good :lol:

1140965_10.jpg

Mattress, I'm copying this to my Facebook, if that is indeed alright with you...I love the way you guys put together these timelines and look backs on history.

It makes so fucking excited, I swear!

:D Of course that's a'ight... and buckle up.

That Steve Blame (:chuckle:) interview was fabulous. They knew it was a big deal so treated the footage in post-production, giving it a lilac tint to make it more exclusive.

But this was truly sth else :dramatic: But there's also not a single shot of that event where she actually looks good :lol:

1140965_10.jpg

I love it! :lmao: She did look AWFUL but it was also fabulous how extreme and OTT she went with the panto dame make-up. Some crazed guy (fan?) grabbed onto her arm for a minute trying to kiss her

852b71f09e22b0d4a40793b60a45c293_view.jpg

The Material Girl's Sexual [R]evolution: Read full Madonna In Wonderland article here

tumblr_m4x62vMUxE1qgquvwo1_1280.jpg

Sexier than anything in Sex. Which of course wasn't the point for that but I loved that bad taste paedo-tastica shoot!

Aw. Only 29.99 USD on eBay. :fag:

At age eleven I proudly snagged this US promo poster from a record store:

eroticauspromo.png

HAIR!!

OMG you're all so young for this distinctly ADULT stuff. :rotfl: I got the book as an Xmas present and think I was old enough :confused:, also snuck into Truth or Dare and wasn't old enough for that. :demonic: It's interesting as was pointed out at the time a lot of her fans weren't old enough for her shit.

Forgot about that faux tat, 2 whole years b4 she jumped on the naval piercings bandwagon too late!

Was that Naomi Campbell's toe on the back cover of Erotica? That was one thing I wasn't keen on. Gross. It was lame and predictable and in the same year as bloody Fergie - hence the picture disc of Erotica getting banned! The guy at Our Price told me she was too controversial!

I also lied at the cinema 2 get in2 BOE, & I had a hard on during the film. :confused::fag:

Erotica also marked the moment where I would keep my Madonna 2 myself & I found myself

blushing whenever someone mentioned her name in my presence. Asking 4 a Madonna record

in a store almost caused 2 me 2 faint. Reading her name in print or hearing her

on the radio sent shivers down my spine. Of course, Later i found out it was gay coma.

I also had SEX anxiety...& started 2 fully realize I was a poof, I think I started masturbating in july of that year, or around the time of TUTBMP :fag:

Forgot about that faux tat, 2 whole years b4 she jumped on the naval piercings bandwagon too late!

Was that Naomi Campbell's toe on the back cover of Erotica? That was one thing I wasn't keen on. Gross. It was lame and predictable and in the same year as bloody Fergie - hence the picture disc of Erotica getting banned! The guy at Our Price told me she was too controversial!

That's Tony Ward's foot.