Facebook - 10 mil likes

Ringmybell

• 2 weeks later...

gaga has like 3 times more

That's not really surprising given that Gaga's success owes a lot to social media. I'm sure Madonna could get a lot more 'Likes' but I honestly don't think she cares about getting thumbed up. I've been her fan for 30 years and yet have only ever visited her Facebook page a couple of times, so it feels pretty unimportant to me.

But how much of Gaga's is real? Her youtube and twitter accounts have already been shown to have multiple millions of fake accounts. Facebook have yet to announce fake accounts for fear of jeopardising their already tarnished reputation. However, I've seen reports that there are many fake accounts coming out of Russia and the middle east. Madonna has grown naturally and without cheap tactics to get people to follow.

Secondly, Gaga arrived on the scene the same time as social media like Madonna arrived at the same time as MTV. Both benefitted enormously.

Too bad these stats don't amount to much in terms of commercial success.

Exactly. Gaga may have three times the followers but Madonna had ten times the tour ticket sales. Likes don't mean sales!

Is that really surprising?? Gaga is a WAY more recent popstar and she used social media to boast her career in every way possible. And a LOT of Gaga's followers are fake anyway so it's not like it's accurate. And as jonski43 said, likes =/= sales.

Edited by madonnasuperfan01