MDNA DC Sunday, September 23rd

ChaunceyD

My friend told me she had a fan come to the stage between Human Nature/Like A Virgin and WRITE a 4 letter word to describe her on her back. He chose SEXY...she said "You could have wrote it a little larger."

Like A Virgin was her favorite part! She said Madonna was very chatty and said she was tired, but kept thanking the audience for picking her up.

Since most of this thread was based around transportation issues, anyone have a problem getting home? I saw several people trying to go down to the subway, which was of course closed. Cabs were at capacity, too. I was trying to get one, but said fuck it after several minutes and walked home.

All I could make out was "SOY". I was thinking how the fuck is that 4 letters, and what the hell does it mean? LOL. Clearly I was not in the front/vision isn't the best.

My friend told me she had a fan come to the stage between Human Nature/Like A Virgin and WRITE a 4 letter word to describe her on her back. He chose SEXY...she said "You could have wrote it a little larger."

Like A Virgin was her favorite part! She said Madonna was very chatty and said she was tired, but kept thanking the audience for picking her up.

noticed serveral people left early around where i was seated and wasnt sure why since there were signs all over the entire arena and on every single door leading into the building saying the metro was staying open until 1am to accomodate the concert. by then i knew we were in for a late show...couldnt believe the opener didnt start till after 9 but i didnt care once i knew i had a way home. surprised anyone missed a train, how late were they getting to the station? i got to my train at 1245 and they were still open.

great show though...the vogue segment and the last segment with i'm addicted and like a prayer was off the hook. no one was sitting through like a prayer...that was magic

the soundcheck was open for anyone to see...i certainly was not VIP sitting up in the 400 section and i watched the entire soundcheck--got there around 645 and saw about 30 plus mins of it. at the end she was saying "please be a good crowd, do not go to the bathroom, do not go get food, do not sit all night long...promise me you'll be a great crowd...please please" it was cute. as she was walking off she was like 'please promise me, or i'm not coming out" somethng like that.

when that part happened...about the 4 letter word...the lady behind me yelled "TELL THE TRUTH" and a guy near her said "I would spell L A T E!"

hahahaha

[media=]

[/media]

What a night!!!

OMG!!

Got to the venue, as she was rehearsing GGW (this was around 3:30pm) she rehearsed Express Yourself, I Don't Give A(from what I heard)

We were let in around a little after 7:00 and she was STILL IN SOUNDCHECK!!

(the first in the U.S.)

I was like OMFG!!

She was in the middle of singing I'm A Sinner. She also did, Celebration, I Don't Give A, Turn Up The Radio.

She sang Love Spent after LAV.

I had a moment YET again. During Holiday, when she had us sining the part at the end "come together in every nation" she kneeled right in front of me and said, "I'm down on my knees singing for you" held out her mic, and proceed for me to sing "come together in every nation" for about a minute or so.

I had THE GODDESS on her knees!!!

:drama: :drama: :drama:

:wow:

Just got in from the show.....she was even later than normal tonight! I was on the floor in section 9 and from my perspective (and apparently hers too) the crowd was PHENOMENAL! One of the best crowds I've seen at an M concert, even rivaling the MSG crowds. She was magical. I knew the "Masculine/Feminine" section was going to blow me away but I was literally just standing in awe while she was singing LAV/LS. That really is like the "peak" of the show, it all leads up to that, then afterwards it's on to the "light"....well after NKM interlude. :) I just can't do a song by song review right now and honestly even if I did I don't think I could say much that hasn't been said many times over. Many times over the years I've said "I wish I could've seen Madonna live at her peak in the 80's and early 90's"......tonight I did see Madonna at her peak. All this talk these few years about she's not as passionate about the music etc....it's bullshit this woman right now at age 54 out there on her "flop tour" promoting her "flop album" is at a performing peak in her career. END OF.

Highlights for me were:

GGW

IDGA

Majorette section (I liked this more than I thought I would)

TUTR (REALLY surprised at how much I liked this one)

audience banter/Holiday

JML Interlude

Masculine/Feminine section (one of the best "sections" of any of her tours)

IA (this looked spectacular live. you just can't "get it all" looking at a YouTube video)

LAP (I literally saw nobody sitting down during this song. It really brought the house down)

Celebration (the bitch can MOVE!)

so yeah, basically the whole show is a "highlight" lol. Amazing on every level. Personally, I find her voice better on this tour than any of the other ones I have seen live (all tours since DWT). I heard very little crow and there were moments I heard that old passion in her voice from the 80's and 90's. You just FEEL she is really feeling what she is singing.

Tomorrow night it's golden triangle!

Since most of this thread was based around transportation issues, anyone have a problem getting home? I saw several people trying to go down to the subway, which was of course closed. Cabs were at capacity, too. I was trying to get one, but said fuck it after several minutes and walked home.

Really? I went and I had no problem getting on the subway. It was open until 1 a.m. You just had to not take too long to get out. The show ended around 12:30. It was a fantastic show. I thought the crowd was great and really into it. A few people left early but not too many. She was really funny, chatty and warm, a lot more than other tours. Vocally, she was great and much better than Sticky and Sweet. I think this is by far her best tour, there was not one song I found boring.

Madonna’s Good Diva and Bad Diva faced off Sunday at the Verizon Center, the first night of a two-night stand in the District. Good ultimately triumphed.

But it took a while. Like only a Bad Diva would, Madonna came to the stage at 10:30 p.m., 21/2 hours after the posted showtime. The delay disrupted more than babysitting arrangements; arena management was forced to strike a deal with Metro to extend the usual midnight service deadline. Madonna, however, surely benefited financially from the stalling, because some portion of the audience, made up of fans who’d paid from $59 to $390 per ticket, killed time by visiting merchandise booths, at which they could spend an additional $45 on licensed “I’m a Sinner” T-shirts or Madonna-endorsed “Addicted to Sweat” workout DVDs (featuring routines called “Get Wet” and “Dripping Wet”).

Once the show, indeed, went on, the benevolent side of Madonna’s divadom took hold. Everything Madonna threw at the fans made the road shows of other dance-pop arena acts, such as Britney Spears and J.Lo, look amateurish and small. Madonna seemingly has better dancers, choreographers and designers, and a far bigger budget, than everybody else. As Nicki Minaj told the audience in a videotaped cameo shown at the end of Madonna’s recent ranting single, “I Don’t Give a . . .”: “There’s only one queen, and it’s Madonna!”

Take her entrance: With the stage full of buff guys in monk outfits and contortionists on pedestals putting their feet behind their necks, and as a massive smoking golden thurible-shaped object swung to and fro in front of a giant cathedral-like structure while some sort of dense Gregorian chant-sounding noise blared over the public address system, Madonna dropped from the ceiling wearing a black jumpsuit and wielding an assault rifle. The medieval music was then replaced by Madonna moaning, “Oh, my God!” over and over before kicking into her recent techno single, “Girl Gone Wild,” which she shrieked while rubbing pretty much all of her own and her dancers’ body parts as humongous video screens showed what looked like the end of the world. Madonna survived this mini-Armageddon with enough energy to pick up the assault rifle and strafe the crowd one more time before song’s end.

She maintained that level of bombast for most of the two-hour set.

Madonna’s show, dubbed the MDNA Tour, is surely her most violent production to date. During her rendering of “Gang Bang,” the stage became a seedy motel room in which she chugged whiskey and used more firearms to gun down two generic bad guys. She mounted their carcasses for a theatrical but confusing pelvic thrust routine, yelling “Die b----!” a whole lot, though it wasn’t clear whether all the lyrics were being sung live. Meanwhile, the video screens showed enough splattered blood to make Quentin Tarantino nauseated.

Although Madonna, 54, seems a little old for her fascination with cartoonishly macabre violence, her fan base has aged enough to handle it. Gone are the days when millions of tween girls expressed their individuality communally by wearing the same tawdry outfits the headliner wore onstage or in videos.

“Nobody else dressed up tonight!” lamented Lauren Bruzonic, 34, of Annandale, wandering the Verizon Center concourse with a quartet of 30-something friends from her native Northern Virginia while waiting for the show to start. Almost everybody was in civilian clothes, but Bruzonic and her buddettes dusted off the vintage bustier-and-crucifix get-ups they wore years ago to pay irony-free tribute to their idol.

“I was in love with Madonna when I was a little girl — what little girl wasn’t?” Bruzonic said. “I’m here because all of her old songs still make me happy.”

Fans who’ve been with Madonna as long as Bruzonic were no doubt prepared for the scandalousness that characterized this performance. But the crowd seemed far more engaged when Madonna channeled her attention-getting energies in more playful ways. She put on a majorette’s outfit for “Express Yourself,” and, while a large drum corps swung overhead, twirled a baton, perhaps re-creating moves she used during her days as a high school cheerleader. Alas, before the song was over, Madonna lifted her skirt and dirty danced with the baton. The fans ate it up, just as they ate up her yelling, “Do the bump with your neighbor!” amid all sorts of crotch-grabbing during “Holiday”; her donning a painful-looking metal bra and sashaying down a long runway while reprising “Vogue”; and her pulling down her pants to flash her buns of steel during “Human Nature.”

But a Madonna show isn’t entirely dependent on prefabricated outrageousness, pre-recorded voices or exposed naughty parts. The house lights went up as “Like a Prayer” opened, and Madonna led her hired choir and about 20,000 volunteer crooners on a fairly straight singalong of that 1989 single. Nary a gun was fired nor crotch grabbed. No dirty words were uttered. Yet “Like a Prayer” delivered more joyful noise and thrills than one has a right to expect from an arena concert, even one where the headliner makes fans wait as long as Madonna made these fans wait.

Brava, diva!

McKenna is a freelance writer. Madonna performs again at Verizon Center on Monday.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/concert-review-madonna-at-verizon-center/2012/09/24/ce940b18-062b-11e2-9eea-333857f6a7bd_story.html