6 Months Later: Evaluating MDNA

Guest Xanthium

I really liked the album when it first came out, but it kind of got thrown to the side since I was in such a shitty ass dark mood during the time of its release.

I listen to it all the time now though and have fallen in love with it. I agree. The tracks that are good are REALLY good, and the few that are bad are...well...bad....

I made my own track listing when I listen to it and excluded GMAYL, Turn Up the Radio, Superstar, Masterpiece, Best Friend, I Fucked Up and Birthday Song (even though I really dont mind that one at the end of the day). So those are the songs I could have done without. GGW grew on me only because of the flawless tour performance.

The album is obviously not her biggest artistic moment. I want to see her dig deeper for the next album and come out with something new and mind blowing. Its time for another LAP or Ray of Light moment where she raises the bar for herself, but all in all I cant complain. Just wish it got the single choices and promotion it deserved.

I think MDNA is one of her most personal albums despite having some pretty idiotic/silly songs on it. Even Gang Bang is pretty raw. So we have GB, "I Don't Give A," "I Fucked Up," "Best Friend," "Love Spent." Those are all really personal songs. Even ROL only had a few truly personal/confessional songs: "Drowned World" and "Mer Girl" are the obvious ones. The rest are just about the world ("Swim," "Nothing Really Matters," "Sky Fits Heaven") or general love songs ("The Power of Goodbye," "Frozen"). And LAP had "Promise to Try," "Oh Father," and "Spanish Eyes." I'm not downplaying those albums (I love them both), but pointing out that even her most personal albums only really have a few personal songs. And MDNA had just as many, if not more.

I personally love MDNA. I have to love MDNA. Do you know why? It made me fan. It's the one album that made me appreciate Madonna as a person. When it comes down to it, I think tacking on 5 bonus tracks was slightly excessive. I would rather have a shorter but more thorough album than a long album with many tracks that is not as good. I've rearranged the tracklist of my MDNA album on my iTunes.. It flows better to me..

1. Girl Gone Wild

2. Gang Bang

3. I'm Addicted

4. Some Girls

5. Turn Up the Radio

6. Superstar

7. I Don't Give A [ft. Nicki Minaj]

8. Beautiful Killer

9. I'm A Sinner

10. Love Spent

11. Masterpiece

12. Falling Free

[iTunes Bonus Track]

13. Love Spent [Acoustic]

[Limited Edition / Fan Pack Edition]

13. Best Friend

I think this tracklist flows quite well. :)

I also find the cover to be amazing. I love the colors in it.

And if I could have changed the single choices, I definitely would have.

1. I'm Addicted [early January]

2. Girl Gone Wild [early March]

3. Gang Bang (Promo Single w/ music video to accompany in early Fall) [10 days prior to album release]

4. Turn Up the Radio [mid-June]

5. Beautiful Killer [mid-October]

6. Falling Free [not necessarily a radio single, but a video for this song as a Christmas present on December 25, 2012]

Edited by SomeGirls

I think it's a good collection of songs overall but I still find a lot of it absolutely baffling. Especially the entire decision making around the whole process, e.g.

- How on earth could shitty songs like "B'Day Song", "Superstar" and yes, "Give me All Your Luvin'" get on the main tracklist whilst fantastic tracks like "I Fucked Up" and "Beautiful Killer" ended up on the bonus disc?

- "Love Spent" could have been one of the best songs she had ever recorded and yet it's let down by a disgustingly weak-ass vocal. The live vocal is how it should have been done in the studio instead of the wounded sparrow vocal.

- The main album tracklist (i.e. the 12 tracks) sequencing is wacky azz fuck. Which idiot green-lit that?

- Album cover is fantastique but the rest of the booklet is shitty azz pics.

And finally.. the bigest gripe of them all..

- The fact that "Give me All Your Luvin'" was a single, let alone the leading single from the first Madonna album in 4 years is quite possibly the 3rd worst decision of her entire music career.

I like the wounded sparrow vocal - its very vunerable and suits the song

me too I ADORE the vocal on Love Spent! It goes with the song

:inlove:/>

Even the vocoder effects suit it - there's this amazing blend of accoustic (authetic) and digital (artificiality) in the instrumentation.

Much like the subject matter of the song itself, the music hovers between reality and artificiality - in my view exactly what the lyric say the marriage ended up being.

To me, its the perfect song, well thought out and everything from the lyics to the music makes a statement.

You could take the lyrics away, and just by listening to the instrumental probably still get what the song is about - betrayal.

I really wish there was an official instrumental

Change the tracklisting to this:

1. Girl Gone Wild

2. Gang Bang

3. I'm Addicted

4. Some Girls

5. Turn Up The Radio

6. I Don't Give A

7. Beautiful Killer

8. I'm A Sinner

9. Love Spent

10. I Fucked Up

11. Masterpiece

12. Falling Free

"I'm Addicted" as the lead single to radio/iTunes on Jan 1st with MDNA coming out Feb 6th/7th to fully benefit off the hype of the Super Bowl performance and the era would have been 10x more successful.