6 Months Later: Evaluating MDNA

Guest Xanthium

Girl Gone Wild: 10/10 - this has really grown on me

Gang Bang: 10/10 - still love it, incredible track

I'm Addicted: 10/10 - like Chelle said - should have been the lead single

Turn Up the Radio: 5/10 - doesn't go anywhere - flat track - its like the song that never ends - I love the lyrics though

Give Me All Ya Luvin; 7/10- I like this now - didn't before

Some Girls: 7/10 - Love it

Superstar: 3/10 - unlistenable

I Dont Give A: 5/10 - Meh

I'm A Sinner: 5/10 - was my favourite - maybe I wore it out but its on the skip list

Love Spent: 10/10 - One of the best songs she's ever done - I can't imagine what its like to come out of a marriage asking yourself 'Would you have married me if I was poor?' - my heart breaks for her when I hear this song

Masterpiece: 2/10 - Don't know why this was an album track

Falling Free; 8/10- great song, wrong album

I took a MAJOR break from listening to this album the last few months, until earlier today! As a whole, its definitely seamless; a smooth listen all the way through. My opinions on each individual song haven't changed much, but I do love the album, as a whole, MORE than I did before. A brief synopsis:

Songs that make me want to gear up in leather & kick some ass: Some Girls, I'm Addicted, Gurl Gon Whald, IDGAF

Songs that make me dance like an idiot: Beautiful Killer, I'm a Sinner, Gimme All Ya Luv

Songs that make me want to gaze into the sunset & sob: Love Spent, Falling Free, Masterpiece

Songs that STILL make me want to fucking kill myself: Turn Up the Radio & Superstar

CONCLUSION: 4/5

Happy Birthday Girl Gone Wild!!!!

I know none of you guys care, but today marks the 1 year anniversary of me being a Madonna fan. I remember when GMAYL was released, I couldn't stand it (barely can today)... But then when she released Girl Gone Wild one month later (March 2) I actually thought it was a good song. It was dancey, fun, and had a very catchy chorus. I eventually heard the MDNA leak, and fell in love with songs like Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Turn Up the Radio, Some Girls, I'm A Sinner, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer, and Best Friend. I bought the album when it was released and LOVED IT. I was literally blaring it 24/7 for like 3 months straight.

I eventually purchased Like a Prayer from Target for $5. It was so old sounding, but I LOVED Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Cherish, Oh Father, Keep It Together, and Spanish Eyes. I was like "I could get used to her music.. I like it"

Eventually, I think around June, I went ahead and ordered Hard Candy, and then Confessions On A Dancefloor a week later. I actually REALLY LOVED Hard Candy, despite what many critics and fans think. I loved the R&B feel, perfect for driving around in the car. Candy Shop, Give It 2 Me, Heartbeat, Miles Away, She's Not Me, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You stood as as my favorites. Hard Candy was (new) for $9 on Amazon!

But literally less than 10 days later, my Confessions CD came in the mail. OMFG. I WAS AMAZED. Hung Up (when I first heard it, I remembered hearing it from when it was released!) and GET TOGETHER, Future Lovers, Let It Will Be, Jump, How High, Like It Or Not stood out the most. Confessions was (new) for $8 on a website somewhere..

I thought I was set for life so I kept those CDs for a while, got no new music.. Then I started researching her other albums, went ahead and purchased Celebration (single) and Revolver (single) on iTunes, and fell in love with the dance music. I love Revolver's chorus >>>>

Eventually, I purchased Music. I didn't like it too much, because of the country vibe. But i found it used for $6 so I figured why not. I like it now, but I don't listen as often.

Slowly, I decided to purchase Erotica (used for $4 at fye) and Bedtime Stories (used for 99 cents! at fye) (the cover is right side up, a rarity) and didn't like it much. Those two albums I could never get into... I just bought them for collections sake. I also purchased Ray of Light for $5 at Walmart. It's an ok album, but I don't listen to it often. I have to be in the "ray of light mood" to listen.

Lastly, I purchased American Life for $14 (yeah.. .expensive) on Amazon or ebay. Again, it took me awhile to get used to, but honestly it is my favorite album pre-Confessions era. It's such a good album. I think I like it so much because so many people hate it! haha

So that's my Madonna story. Sorry this was so long. I'm still looking for Madonna, Like A Virgin, True Blue, and Immaculate collection, preferably under $5.... I don't ever really listen to those albums, I just want to have them so I can have my full collection.

In conclusion, I'm glad I'm a Madonna fan. I have all her music, I enjoy the majority of it, and hey, I've been in the GOLDEN TRIANGLE before and touched her hand! Can't beat that!

Guest Rachelle of London

I know none of you guys care, but today marks the 1 year anniversary of me being a Madonna fan. I remember when GMAYL was released, I couldn't stand it (barely can today)... But then when she released Girl Gone Wild one month later (March 2) I actually thought it was a good song. It was dancey, fun, and had a very catchy chorus. I eventually heard the MDNA leak, and fell in love with songs like Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Turn Up the Radio, Some Girls, I'm A Sinner, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer, and Best Friend. I bought the album when it was released and LOVED IT. I was literally blaring it 24/7 for like 3 months straight.

I eventually purchased Like a Prayer from Target for $5. It was so old sounding, but I LOVED Like A Prayer, Express Yourself, Cherish, Oh Father, Keep It Together, and Spanish Eyes. I was like "I could get used to her music.. I like it"

Eventually, I think around June, I went ahead and ordered Hard Candy, and then Confessions On A Dancefloor a week later. I actually REALLY LOVED Hard Candy, despite what many critics and fans think. I loved the R&B feel, perfect for driving around in the car. Candy Shop, Give It 2 Me, Heartbeat, Miles Away, She's Not Me, Devil Wouldn't Recognize You stood as as my favorites. Hard Candy was (new) for $9 on Amazon!

But literally less than 10 days later, my Confessions CD came in the mail. OMFG. I WAS AMAZED. Hung Up (when I first heard it, I remembered hearing it from when it was released!) and GET TOGETHER, Future Lovers, Let It Will Be, Jump, How High, Like It Or Not stood out the most. Confessions was (new) for $8 on a website somewhere..

I thought I was set for life so I kept those CDs for a while, got no new music.. Then I started researching her other albums, went ahead and purchased Celebration (single) and Revolver (single) on iTunes, and fell in love with the dance music. I love Revolver's chorus >>>>

Eventually, I purchased Music. I didn't like it too much, because of the country vibe. But i found it used for $6 so I figured why not. I like it now, but I don't listen as often.

Slowly, I decided to purchase Erotica (used for $4 at fye) and Bedtime Stories (used for 99 cents! at fye) (the cover is right side up, a rarity) and didn't like it much. Those two albums I could never get into... I just bought them for collections sake. I also purchased Ray of Light for $5 at Walmart. It's an ok album, but I don't listen to it often. I have to be in the "ray of light mood" to listen.

Lastly, I purchased American Life for $14 (yeah.. .expensive) on Amazon or ebay. Again, it took me awhile to get used to, but honestly it is my favorite album pre-Confessions era. It's such a good album. I think I like it so much because so many people hate it! haha

So that's my Madonna story. Sorry this was so long. I'm still looking for Madonna, Like A Virgin, True Blue, and Immaculate collection, preferably under $5.... I don't ever really listen to those albums, I just want to have them so I can have my full collection.

In conclusion, I'm glad I'm a Madonna fan. I have all her music, I enjoy the majority of it, and hey, I've been in the GOLDEN TRIANGLE before and touched her hand! Can't beat that!

Loved reading this! I agree with Mat Guy, in a few years maybe even months you will LOVE Erotica and BS. I used to detest Erotica, now I can honestly say that it is one of my top 3 Madonna albums! xxx

:clap:

The Madonna of the past three albums (COADF, HC, and MDNA) is my favorite Madonna. It's the Madonna that gets shit on too much for being too old, being too commercial, trying to be young/relevant, not promoting herself, selling out, WHATEVER. But, I don't care about that stuff. She's still the most powerful popstar out there today, and her music is quality! Her music is helping to define my transition into adulthood and that's more important to me than her getting another number 1 or selling 10 million albums. Of course, I still recognize the importance of all the other albums and I still love all those as well, but they will never compare to what Oldonna has given me. :inlove:

Now it's almost 1 year later!

Girl Gone WIld: 9/10 - The production is very flat, nothing new to deliver. The video and the performance saved the song to me.

Gang Bang: 10/10 - A new Madonna. That's what I want.

I'm Addicted: 10/10 - The first time I listened to the album it was my least favorite, now it's one of the best songs ever!

Turn Up The Radio: 7,5/10 - I don't like her thin voice. It's not necessary anymore. It always makes me feel good while jogging at the park though.

Give Me All Your Luvin': 6,5/10 - It's a fun track. But can you imagine Jimmy Jimmy being released as the lead single of True Blue?

Some Girls: 7/10 - I can't feel Madonna on this one.

Superstar: 7/10 - Nice, but very poor lyrics.

I Don't Give A: 9/10 - Amazing. Both Nicki and Madonna did a great job.

I'm A Sinner: 8/10 - I really like the lyrics.

Love Spent: 10/10 - It completes the sacred trinity of this album for me.

Masterpiece: 9/10 - I became obsessed with this one after the show. The live version did it for me.

Falling Free: 9,5/10 - The only reason I don't give a 10, it's because it would equal to my trinity.

Beautiful Killer: 9/10 - Perfect voice, perfect melody. Pure Madonna.

I Fucked Up: 8.5/10 - So beautiful.

B'Day Song: ?/10 - Oh my.

Best Friend: 5/10 - It gets me sad and angry. I don't like it at all.

Love Spent (Acoustice Version): 10/10 - It manages to be better than the original version. Quite an achievement!

LOVE YOU.

The Madonna of the past three TWO albums (HC, and MDNA) is my favorite Madonna. It's the Madonna that gets shit on too much for being too old, being too commercial, trying to be young/relevant, not promoting herself, selling out, WHATEVER. But, I don't care about that stuff. She's still the most powerful popstar out there today, and her music is quality! Her music is helping to define my transition into adulthood and that's more important to me than her getting another number 1 or selling 10 million albums. Of course, I still recognize the importance of all the other albums and I still love all those as well, but they will never compare to what Oldonna has given me. :inlove:

LOVE YOU TOO.

I'm Addicted continues to be highly influential:

After Sausage Legs and Diamonds, now it's JT and one of the new songs from his shitty new album:

Pusher Love Girl

- It comes into its own in studio form

- Powerful beat

- Light and catchy verses

- Strong, heavy, infectious choruses

- Justin beatboxes in the second part

- ONE OF THE LINES: You're my cocaine, my heroin, my MDMA/I'm just a junkie for your love

:1251:

Girl Gone Wild: 10/10

Gang Bang: 10/10

I'm Addicted: 10/10

Girl Gone Wild: 10/10

Girl Gone WIld: 10/10 - corrected :p

That's pretty much it :clap: The 1st 3 tracks are the best imo. What a way to open such an eclectic album.

These are the song that I listen to the most.

I know none of you guys care, but today marks the 1 year anniversary of me being a Madonna fan. I remember when GMAYL was released, I couldn't stand it (barely can today)...

Awesome story! I think that if you like American Life, you'll def like Erotica, BS and ROL at some point. AL just sounds fresher because it's newer, but the seeds for that album are all in Erotica, BS and ROL.

And while you seem to like dancey Madonna more (at least for now) I highly suggest you get Something to Remember. Essential stuff.

I love your story SomeGirls! Although I had FAR less to "discover" when I first got into Madonna, I do remember that amazing time of getting to know ALL of her music and I wish I could relive it! :( Nobody does pop better than M.

I HIGHLY recommend you give the first album a listen. To me, that is her best album of the 80's (and that includes LAP).

Still love it and still on heavy rotation for me. Gang Bang and Love Spent are life. I would still get rid of GMAYL though. In my head it's still competing with Confessions for 4th best M album.

I just listened to the album today after a long break, and I have to admit that I don't like any song on the it. Not that they are bad, they are just not great. Waiting for a new album!

I don't understand fans complain. It is something I have been waiting for from madonna, fun, tuneful pop song. To be honestly, I am not into the complicated stuff when it comes to music. Only thing I want more from the album-- it has a huge hit...if there was a huge hit that We could hear from the radio, I believe fans would have a different response / opiniom about it. :)

The songs are tuneful, and easy to sing along to. I often find myself bopping along to even Superstar (my worst pick, for the record I love B Day Song). The problem with MDNA is threefold, for me, though. Firstly, the songwriting in a number of cases is obscenely lazy. I'm not talking about the recycling, which I think is interesting and insightful, I'm talking about the whole swathes that just dont make sense. Secondly, it just sounds too much like three separate projects, the agro dance divorce album, the bouncy summer pop album and a collection of stinging electro ballads. With only a couple more tracks, it could have been an 11 track album in any one of those directions and been brilliant in it. Instead we wound up with a mess that's like drinking 10 cups of coffee and then trying to explain something. Finally, the mixing is horrific, the sound is thin, the vocals nasal and shrill yet also muffled, the bass is nonexistent and the sound is generally clipped, in places it's like a bad radio recording. I'm Addicted, which should be an earth shaking colossus of a banger just gets grating by the end, which is a shame because it is magnificent. Love Spent's heart wrenching lyrics wind up thin and lose emotional impact as a result - listen to the tour version, in her gravelly middle-aged lower register it is heart breaking, yet the album attempts to sound like an asinine child.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great album, probably top 5, but it has such massive flaws.

The songs are tuneful, and easy to sing along to. I often find myself bopping along to even Superstar (my worst pick, for the record I love B Day Song). The problem with MDNA is threefold, for me, though. Firstly, the songwriting in a number of cases is obscenely lazy. I'm not talking about the recycling, which I think is interesting and insightful, I'm talking about the whole swathes that just dont make sense. Secondly, it just sounds too much like three separate projects, the agro dance divorce album, the bouncy summer pop album and a collection of stinging electro ballads. With only a couple more tracks, it could have been an 11 track album in any one of those directions and been brilliant in it. Instead we wound up with a mess that's like drinking 10 cups of coffee and then trying to explain something. Finally, the mixing is horrific, the sound is thin, the vocals nasal and shrill yet also muffled, the bass is nonexistent and the sound is generally clipped, in places it's like a bad radio recording. I'm Addicted, which should be an earth shaking colossus of a banger just gets grating by the end, which is a shame because it is magnificent. Love Spent's heart wrenching lyrics wind up thin and lose emotional impact as a result - listen to the tour version, in her gravelly middle-aged lower register it is heart breaking, yet the album attempts to sound like an asinine child.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great album, probably top 5, but it has such massive flaws.

I think it's a good collection of songs overall but I still find a lot of it absolutely baffling. Especially the entire decision making around the whole process, e.g.

- How on earth could shitty songs like "B'Day Song", "Superstar" and yes, "Give me All Your Luvin'" get on the main tracklist whilst fantastic tracks like "I Fucked Up" and "Beautiful Killer" ended up on the bonus disc?

- "Love Spent" could have been one of the best songs she had ever recorded and yet it's let down by a disgustingly weak-ass vocal. The live vocal is how it should have been done in the studio instead of the wounded sparrow vocal.

- The main album tracklist (i.e. the 12 tracks) sequencing is wacky azz fuck. Which idiot green-lit that?

- Album cover is fantastique but the rest of the booklet is shitty azz pics.

And finally.. the bigest gripe of them all..

- The fact that "Give me All Your Luvin'" was a single, let alone the leading single from the first Madonna album in 4 years is quite possibly the 3rd worst decision of her entire music career.

Once you get past that bullshit, and re-arrange the tracklist to how it originally was (but keeping bday song as a bonus track and putting in Beautiful Killer and I Fucked Up instead), it's a pretty solid album. There was a period in 2012 where I was having a love hate relationship with the album, but over time, and as I started to realize the true concept of the album, it ended up becoming one of my all time favorite albums from her. It's a fantastic work showcasing, YES i said it, "light and dark" lol.

4 years was just too long, I couldn't take it. With only 2 crummy tracks on the 12 track album, I listened to each and everyone to satisfy my Madonna thirst after that long break.

I never understood why some fan make comments like, "I can't remember what more than half the album sounds like...," Don't you ever get tired of listening to the old stuff and want to listen to something new from Madonna for once??

Yes, the surface flaws are big flaws, but when you get right down to it and weed out the songs that we all know should have never seen the light of day, the core of this album is as powerful and as MADONNAESQUE as it gets. There's a reason why it inspired the greatest tour in history.