6 Months Later: Evaluating MDNA

Guest Xanthium

Girl Gone Wild - while I was one of those who disliked GGW in the beginning the tour really took it to a different level for me and I really, really like it now. It's on my running playlist - A

Gang Bang - I was obsessed with this song when MDNA was first released but I overplayed it. The tour performance is obviously :wow: but the novelty's worn off and I'm over the album version atm - A

I'm Addicted - Probably my favourite song of the album. - A+

Turn Up The Radio - I don't get the hate for it. It's nothing groundbreaking but a great pop song. It's also the only song I don't mind her playing the guitar for A-

Give Me All Your Luvin' - I've always liked this... L-U-V Madonna!! - A-

Some Girls - I never warmed to this. It's not horrible but just not my cup of tea - B+

Superstar - So simple, yet beautiful. The lyrics are not her best, but it's such an infectious pop song - A-

I Don't Give A... - Love it! Always have, always will. The live rendition is a highlight for me (the iconic ending :dramatic:) - A

I'm A Sinner - Yes, it's BS' and Amazing's little cousin, but I still enjoy it tremendously - A-

Love Spent - Tied with I'm Addicted as best song on the album - A+

Masterpiece - Not her best ballad but I don't get the hate for it - A-

Falling Free - I had difficulty getting into this upon the first few listens but love it now - A

Beautiful Killer - along with Some Girls my least favorite of the album - B

I Fucked Up - love it, the sped-up ending is fantastic - A

B-Day Song - :manson: - C

Best Friend - sound a bit like a Destiny's Child production from the early 2000s but I don't mind that and the lyrics are so :( - A-

I love the album.

Fave songs:

I'm Addicted

Some Girls

Falling Free

Beautiful Killer

Love Spent

I'm a Sinner

Turn Up The Radio.

I'm not sure the sequencing of the songs is quite perfect, I don't blame some of you guys for fiddling with it.

I'm still listening MDNA almost daily. I love it very much.

Most of the songs are on the same level which is rare in pop music.

Girl Gone Wild 4

Gang Bang 4,5

I'm Addicted 4

Turn Up The Radio 4

Give Me All Your Luvin'4

Some Girls 4,5

Superstar 4

I Don't Give A 3,5

I'm A Sinner 4

Love Spent 4,5

Masterpiece 4

Falling Free 4,5

Beautiful Killer 4

I Fucked Up 4

B-Day Song 3,5

Girl Gone Wild is sublime, it'll be in my top 5 fav singles of this decade, for ever. It's so addictive.

Amen to that!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who ADORES this song. It was released a few days before my birthday (along with the I'm a Dick, Ted snippet :dramatic:). Best birthday presents ever. :wow:

• 4 months later...

11 Months Later:

Still listen to and thoroughly enjoy it: Girl Gone Wild, Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Turn Up the Radio, Some Girls, Love Spent, Falling Free, Beautiful Killer, Best Friend.

Still listen to but will casually skip and not worry about it: Superstar, I'm A Sinner, Masterpiece, I Fucked Up

Skip and don't give 2 shits: Give Me All Your Luvin', I Don't Give A, B-Day Song, GMAYL (Remix)

I still love the deluxe version of the album. The music is all over the place, but that's part of its charming quality.

Still think GMAYL is one of the weakest singles she has released, but I still enjoy the song while listening to the entire album.

I also don't care if the album was slammed & hated by some people b/c I think it's incredibly fun to listen to.

P.S. The album & amazing tour has made me love & respect Madonna even more!!

Guest Xanthium

I'm really surprised that the album has been on my playlist so consistently this past year. I mean, it's 12 months later and I'm still listening to the album. I honestly believe it might be her catchiest album ever. Not her best, not her deepest but arguably her catchiest in terms of straight up singing-in-the-shower pop tunes. GMAYL is my anthem. I don't care anymore if the lyrics are weak, that song is my motherfucking jam!

I'm over Love Spent regular version. It's the deluxe version that is incredible for me.

MDNA is just a bit too characterless for me. Some good songs but its lack of overall theme is what keeps it from being one of her better albums.

I like most tracks but I usually skip Superstar and Falling Free. The latter is good but I tired of it very quickly.

In the deluxe version I only find Best Friend a bit jarring lyrically and we can do without Party Rock version of GMAYL.

Love Bday Song and I Fucked Up.

Guest Rachelle of London

11 Months Later:

Still listen to and thoroughly enjoy it: Girl Gone Wild, Gang Bang, I'm Addicted, Turn Up the Radio, Some Girls, Love Spent, Falling Free, Beautiful Killer, Best Friend.

Still listen to but will casually skip and not worry about it: Superstar, I'm A Sinner, Masterpiece, I Fucked Up

Skip and don't give 2 shits: Give Me All Your Luvin', I Don't Give A, B-Day Song, GMAYL (Remix)

my exact thoughts!

Although some of the weaker tracks were used for the first singles, I think the remainder of the album is actually quite strong. "Love Spent" made this whole project worth the effort in my opinion. I still listen to "I'm Addicted", "Some Girls" and even "Masterpiece."

"I'm A Sinner" has fallen by the wayside, I'm afraid. I do love William Orbit (and his magic on "Love Spent") but let's face the facts: This wasn't Ray of Light part 2.

Although some of the weaker tracks were used for the first singles, I think the remainder of the album is actually quite strong. "Love Spent" made this whole project worth the effort in my opinion. I still listen to "I'm Addicted", "Some Girls" and even "Masterpiece."

"I'm A Sinner" has fallen by the wayside, I'm afraid. I do love William Orbit (and his magic on "Love Spent") but let's face the facts: This wasn't Ray of Light part 2.

Who needs a Ray Of Light part 2? If one wants another Ray Of Light, just go listen to Ray Of Light. I'll never get that 'part 2' business. :lol:

Girl Gone Wild, I'm Addicted, and Love Spent still going strong. Those 3 tracks are standouts, they will stand the test of time. Gang Bang is coming up on that horizon as well.

Songs that I like:

Masterpiece

Give Me All Your Luvin'

Girl Gone Wild

Songs that are OK for me:

Gang Bang

Album filler / Songs that I can't remember how it sounds like:

I'm Addicted - Can only recall the line "I'm addicted to your loveeeeee"

Turn Up The Radio - Can only recall the line "Turn Up The radio"

Some Girls - Can only recall the line "Some girls blah blah blah... crying in the limousine (Kaka)"

Love Spent - Was this the "spend me like your money... spend ?? love ??? me..."?

Superstar - Can only recall the line "ohh la la you're my superstar..."

Falling Free - Can only recall the line "I'm falling free", sounds like easy ride ending...

I Fucked Up - Can only recall the 1st line "I fucked up..." followed by "sorry" in french

B-Day Song - Can't recall how it sounds...

I Don't Give A... - Can't recall how it sounds...

I'm A Sinner - Can't recall how it sounds...

Beautiful Killer - Can't recall how it sounds...

Best Friend - Can't recall how it sounds...

Conclusion:

It's a long and boring album to me. Too many album filler and hardly any standout tracks. Even AL sometimes sounds better than this (When I'm in a good mood).

C

Girl Gone Wild 5 - it has really rebounded after I saw MDNA tour, one of my favs thanks to the epic performance

Gang Bang 2 - overhyped, repetitive, hardly ever listen to this

I'm Addicted 5 - this SHOULD ve been the lead single, absolute bliss

Turn Up The Radio 4 - a good song, a little bit repetitive, not very innovative

Give Me All Your Luvin' 2 - its just an beyond average song; what was she thinking when she released it as the first single

Some Girls 4 - one of the best songs on the album, really love IT

Superstar 0 - its embarassing, I ll pretend its not on the album;

I Don't Give A 4 - I love this song, its the rap song DONE RIGHT

I'm A Sinner 4 - good song, interesting lyrics, the minus is musically it sounds alot like BStranger and Amazing

Love Spent 5++++ - one of her best songs EVER. why wasnt this a single? is she insane?

Masterpiece 5 - great ballad, tender, an orchestra could have been magical

Falling Free 5 - amazing voice, really nice

Beautiful Killer 5 - could ve been the lead single, perfect pop song

I Fucked Up 1 - Madonna did fuck up with this one indeed

B-Day Song 0 - I try to forget it ever existed; the intention was a fun song, but instead its simply dull

Not much has changed from my initial love for this album, I still listen to it regularly. GB, IA and LS are placed firmly among my all time favourites which is more than enough for one album. It's a great album with a wrong singles chosen, especially GMAYL, but enough has been said about that one already. And yes, Superstar should have been replaced with Beutiful killer on a standard version and that's it.

However, I don't think we'll be hearing much from Solveig or Orbit on the next one.

Songs that I like:

Masterpiece

Give Me All Your Luvin'

Girl Gone Wild

Songs that are OK for me:

Gang Bang

Album filler / Songs that I can't remember how it sounds like:

I'm Addicted - Can only recall the line "I'm addicted to your loveeeeee"

Turn Up The Radio - Can only recall the line "Turn Up The radio"

Some Girls - Can only recall the line "Some girls blah blah blah... crying in the limousine (Kaka)"

Love Spent - Was this the "spend me like your money... spend ?? love ??? me..."?

Superstar - Can only recall the line "ohh la la you're my superstar..."

Falling Free - Can only recall the line "I'm falling free", sounds like easy ride ending...

I Fucked Up - Can only recall the 1st line "I fucked up..." followed by "sorry" in french

B-Day Song - Can't recall how it sounds...

I Don't Give A... - Can't recall how it sounds...

I'm A Sinner - Can't recall how it sounds...

Beautiful Killer - Can't recall how it sounds...

Best Friend - Can't recall how it sounds...

Conclusion:

It's a long and boring album to me. Too many album filler and hardly any standout tracks. Even AL sometimes sounds better than this (When I'm in a good mood).

C

I agree with most of it. I don't know why i didn't warm to this album, i guess this time it's my lone fault. Maybe having a kind of sad year, i wasnt' in the mood for the dark songs and the light ones are rubbish.

I like about the album that you can feel Madonna's magical touch there, and it's always welcome. Falling Free, I'm a Sinner, I'm Addicted and especially Love Spent are clear examples of that. Gang Bang is a bit smoke and mirrors, but at least the bone is there. Some Girls is the filling she should do, a fun song that is original. Beautiful Killer could have been better (that's why i like the mash up with DAD much more) and Best Friend is very beautiful, but it makes me sad so i never play it.

Sadly, other songs are embarassing and it's a pity. But once again, it may be MY fault and maybe in the future i enjoy this album much more. Still, it's a incredibly big improvement from Hard Candy and i'm sure that next album will be good.

I still listen to this album.

While it's obviously not her best effort, there are some of her best songs in it.....but M should have omitted a couple of tracks making only one version.

Girl Gone Wild: generic but listenable (the MDNA Tour performance is pure greatness, though). 6.5

Gang Bang: best song on the album and one of my favourite M songs ever. I love when she's bad xD. 10

I'm Addicted: should have been the lead single, followed by GB. Amazing. 10

Turn Up The Radio: one of the low points on the record, but it's not as terrible as most people say. 7 =

Give Me All Your Luvin': I'm in the minority, but I like it! The lyrics should have been better, but I rarely skip it. (However, when M decided to release it as the first single, she must have been on drugs xD) 7 =

Some Girls: great song! It's one of the MDNA tracks that I listen to the most. 8.5

Superstar: the lowest point on the record with B-Day Song, she should have omitted it. 6=

I Don't Give A: another great track, this time Nicki has a very good rap. The live version also improved the studio one. 8.5

I'm A Sinner: I really like this one, especially the bridge. I think it would have been interesting a music video for it. 8

Love Spent: there's nothing to say about it, one of her best works EVER. 10

Masterpiece: lovely ballad and i enjoy very much the live version. Should have been a single. 8

Falling Free: one of my M favorite ballads ever, I really love it and she sings beautifully. 10

Beautiful Killer: great song! Classic Madonna, it would have fared better than any of the singles released for sure. 8.5

I Fucked Up: i really like this one! 8

B-Day Song: I'm sure the intention was to make a very fun track, but it's one of her worst. 5

Best Friend: underrated, I think it's a very solid track. 8 =

It's no Ray Of Light, but it is a very much solid record and surely an improvement from Hard Candy (but actually there's no Madonna album that I dislike xD).

However, I hope that next time she's more focused on music and promotion.

Girl Gone Wild: Catchy, but the epitome of the M's floundering instincts. The vocals, the lyrics, the sound is all a bad move. I do like the intro though. 5

Gang Bang: An example of Madonna surprising us. Obviously a moment of genuine creative inspiration. 9

I'm Addicted: One of my favorites. Along the lines of "Impressive Instant" and some of the Mirwais outtakes that have leaked in recent years. Not single material though. 9

Turn Up The Radio: This song has grown on me a lot. Not brilliant, but would have made a better lead single. 7

Give Me All Your Luvin': Boring, lame. 5

Some Girls: Another new sound for Madonna. I wish it wasn't mostly someone else's songwriting though. 8

Superstar: This has grown on me a little bit. I went from disliking it to being ambivalent. It's filler. And who knows, it could have made a good single. 6

I Don't Give A: I like this one a lot, even though I feel like it shouldn't work. 7

I'm A Sinner: Classic M/Orbit. I like the vocals. 8

Love Spent: The vocals bother me a little (the Auto-Tune, the too-high range), but musically and lyrically one of her best in a long time. 9

Masterpiece: Had problems with the vocals and rough production on this at first, but the melody is really nice. 6

Falling Free: Pretty, but I don't know why people love this. It's no "Mer Girl." 7

Beautiful Killer: This felt really generic at first, but it's grown on me a lot. Nothing groundbreaking, but I think it could have made a good single. 7

I Fucked Up: I like this one a lot. Should have been on the album proper. 7

B-Day Song: Silly, filler. 5

Best Friend: I can see why this was left off the standard version of the album. The sound doesn't quite fit, but I like the lyrics and melody. And obviously very personal. 7

Overall = 7/10

I love to see how people are rating MDNA because the record took time to grow on me & I still love it a lot. I don't know if other people listen to this album while they are driving their cars?

I often have to drive my car around in traffic for my job & listening to this album while driving makes me happy & brings up positive memories of the tour.

Girl Gone Wild: 4/10

Gang Bang: 8/10

I'm Addicted: 8/10

Turn Up The Radio: 3/10

Give Me All Your Luvin': 2/10

Some Girls: 8/10

Superstar: 2/10

I Don't Give A: 9/10

I'm A Sinner: 4/10

Love Spent: 10/10

Masterpiece: 9/10

Falling Free: 7/10

Beautiful Killer: 5/10

I Fucked Up: 5/10

B-Day Song: 3/10

Best Friend: 5/10

Guest Rachelle of London

Girl Gone Wild: 10/10 - loved this song ever since I first heard it..the tour improved it for me..love it even more now

Gang Bang: 10/10 - the 1 min clip that Madonnas team leaked a few days before the album released gave me life...great song

I'm Addicted: 10/10 - my fave song off the album, I've always said shouldve been a lead single

Turn Up the Radio: 10/10 - I dont see why it get such a bad wrap...I bloody love this song, love the video too

Give Me All Ya Luvin; 4/10- First time I heard this song I was SOOOO disappointed, remies and tour performances made me like it a bit more

Some Girls: 3/10 - Song I listen to the least, I like the beat but not my fave at all

Superstar: 8/10 - I actually adore this song...cute and a great sing a long, great beat aswell

I Dont Give A: 6/10 - I find Ms rapping parts a bit cringey, love Nickis part, tour performance is AMAZING

I'm A Sinner: 5/10 - great song, great on tour, just not one of my faves

Love Spent: 10/10 - LOVE LOVE LOVE, the acoustic version is amazing, loved it on tour, cried when she performed it in Dallas

Masterpiece: 10/10 - Loved Masterpiece since we first heard it in Nov 2011, the song most of my friends love from MDNA aswell

Falling Free; 8/10- great song, love the production, haunting, great addition to the album

Beautiful Killer: 6/10 - good song but I do think fans overrate it

I Fucked Up: 10/10 - love this song, love the way M sings it, love it

Bday Song: 5/10- Love Madonna's parts...HATE MIAs parts, she ruins the song with her monotone, out of beat, out of tune voice

Best Friend: 10/10 EVERYONE knows this is my song...loved it from I first heard the album, great driving song!

I think MDNA is a great album, the standard/deluxe editions just confused things for people as I believe there were stronger bonus tracks and weaker album tracks. I still listen to this album daily, not Madonna's best but its a great sum up of her career as there's a song that links with all her previous albums